VOGONS

First post, by Arctic

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have a ThinkPad A20p and after finally getting it to work, I am looking for game suggestions.
My problem is that I get a black screen every time I start anything DOS related. Alt+Enter doesn't help. The whole thing freezes and I need to hard reset.
Any suggestions for DOS compatibility or should I just forget about that on this machine?

Intel Pentium 3-M 550MHz (throttled)
384MB SDRAM PC100 CL3
ATi Rage 128M 32MB
1400x1050 panel
120GB HDD
Windows 98SE

Thank you in advance! 😎

Last edited by Arctic on 2016-10-24, 22:22. Edited 3 times in total.

Reply 1 of 3, by man-x86

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I also had some trouble running DOS on laptops newer than 2000. Most of that was due to the APM and ACPI power management, or the multiple outputs display.

On my Toshiba laptops, there was a TSR program required for running DOS (and also installing Windows). I also tried an HP laptop that would randomly switch-off because its fan was not activated without installing a driver (IDK if there was one for DOS).

Did you also test the RAM with Memtest, or check the chemical capacitors? You can never be sure with the hardware from that era.

Reply 2 of 3, by Arctic

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I haven't checked the multiple display settings yet. Could be something!
What is the TSR program called? What version did you use?

I will memtest it now, thank you for the idea!

I have a second problem, the laptop randomly reboots itself. Sometimes it reboots while the BIOS is in POST mode...
It only started crashing while doing heavy file copying via LAN or USB, I am playing a 3D game and it works fine. I even looped 3DMark 99 for 2 hours without a crash.
I have no clue 🙁

edit:
Ok, now it locked up after like 20mins of "Dethkarz"