VOGONS

First post, by Elia1995

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

After getting a huge pain to get Windows 3.11 boot up correctly (I installed FreeDOS, then got a lot of issues and then I installed MS-DOS 6.22 after I found my floppies) on my Celeron build, I can't get the cursor to move.
I installed CTMouse from Sourceforge as MS-DOS 6.22 doesn't have a built in mouse driver and it works perfectly in dos and dos games, but when I go to boot up windows 3.11, the cursor stays in the middle of the screen and I can use only the keyboard.
I am using a PS/2 mouse, but the same thing happens with a serial three-buttons mouse I have.
As I said earlier, it works flawlessly in dos, so CTMouse is ok, if there is an alternative for Windows 3.11... at least until I won't get to try OpenDOS 7.01

Currently assembled vintage computers I own: 11

Most important ones:
A "modded" Olivetti M4 434 S (currently broken).
An Epson El Plus 386DX running MS-DOS 6.22 (currently broken).
Celeron Coppermine 1.10GHz on an M754LMRTP motherboard

Reply 2 of 43, by Elia1995

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

when I launch that setup, it tries to install windows 3.11

Most important ones:

Reply 4 of 43, by Elia1995

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

nope, it brings up the installation utility, tries to install windows in C:\WINDOWS and says that it can't install windows in the directory where the setup is launched from 🤣

I even tried every single "mouse" from the control panel installation utility, but all of them except "Logitech" give me the same result; with Logitech selected, I don't even see the cursor.

Most important ones:

Reply 5 of 43, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Elia1995 wrote:

nope, it brings up the installation utility, tries to install windows in C:\WINDOWS and says that it can't install windows in the directory where the setup is launched from 🤣

I even tried every single "mouse" from the control panel installation utility, but all of them except "Logitech" give me the same result; with Logitech selected, I don't even see the cursor.

According to my WfW 3.11 manual, you should be able to access the Setup utility from Windows itself (Main group, Windows Setup) and if none of the preset options work you can select "Other" to display a list of additional drivers that are on the Windows 3.11 installation disks. If using a serial mouse, ensure the settings of the COM port are correct, too.

Reply 6 of 43, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Windows' setup.exe has to be launched inside the C:\Windows directory.
Otherweise, you may load DOS 6.x setup, because C:\DOS directory usually is the first one in the path= variable.
(Or perhaps you will indeed load Windows 3.1 setup, but it won't find system.ini and win.ini and thus attempts a new installation.)

Besides, serial mice are better than PS/2 mice. For Win 3.1, at least (scrolling issues).

Last edited by Jo22 on 2016-10-31, 18:29. Edited 1 time in total.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 7 of 43, by Elia1995

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well, serial mice are a lot "slower" than PS/2 mouse (extra: the PS/2 mouse I'm currently using is optical so I don't even have that ANNOYING ball which I really hate from the depths of my soul), and nothing changes wheter I run setup from C:\WINDOWS or from any other location.
It ALWAYS runs the Windows 3.11 installation wizard :\

Most important ones:

Reply 8 of 43, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Better slow than jerky. 😉

http://www.os2museum.com/wp/jumpy-ps2-mouse-i … de-windows-3-x/

PS: An optical serial mouse will also work. An optical dual-mode PS/2 mouse with mechanical adapter will also work fine.

In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 9 of 43, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Elia1995 wrote:

when I launch that setup, it tries to install windows 3.11

Can you run Windows already ?
Change to Windows directory and run "win setup", it should then run the NE portion of setup.exe.

//My video channel//

Reply 10 of 43, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Jo22 wrote:

Windows' setup.exe has to be launched inside the C:\Windows directory.

It should be possible to launch Windows Setup from within Windows to install a new driver. I remember installing drivers that way back in the day, so I know it works.

Reply 11 of 43, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yup, that works. Setup.exe is a special file. It has both a Windows- and a DOS version of Windows-Setup inside of it.
Normally, Win16 (NE) files do only have a short DOS (MZ) part inside them - mainy to display "This program requires MS Windows" and
then they do run a short code sequence to quit without crashing DOS. But setup.exe includes a full-fledged DOS program instead.

//My video channel//

Reply 12 of 43, by Elia1995

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ok, I just launched the setup.exe file from within Windows 3.11 and it says this (I try to translate it on the fly):

"You're trying to execute the Windows installation utility from within Windows. Exit from Windows, then execute this installation utility from the MS-DOS command prompt.

Or execute the Windows version of this installation utility by clicking the icon "Installation of Windows" in the Main program manager group.

Press F3 in order to exit."

The "Installation of Windows" program it refers to is the one I used to try each one of the preset mice but none of them worked and there was no "Other" except one which asked me for a floppy, but even though I insert the floppy where I copied the CTMouse files in, it doesn't seem to detect any driver.

I'm confused 😁

Most important ones:

Reply 13 of 43, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

By running SETUP from C:\WINDOWS, you should get this:
ana1995040109.gif
Here you can select your mouse type. I wonder why it's not giving you this?

World's foremost 486 enjoyer.

Reply 14 of 43, by Elia1995

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Honestly, I have no idea...
and this is the first time I have this cursor problem on Windows 3.11, it ALWAYS worked right away even during the installation... even the last time, when I installed on FreeDOS the cursor worked during installation (but then the system never booted up, it always froze at the Windows for Workgroups 3.11 boot logo...now on MS-DOS 6.22 it works anyway)

Most important ones:

Reply 16 of 43, by Elia1995

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I installed it in C:\WINDOWS\ (it was the default directory)

and as I already said earlier, I am launching it from there !!!

Most important ones:

Reply 17 of 43, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Uhm, does it hurt to install it over the previous installation again ?
I mean, if it will find existing program groups and settings, it should keep them.
If it doesn't, then there must be something broken and a new installation would be a good thing anyway.
Installation of Win3.1 over 3.0 worked in a similar way, as far as I do remember.

//My video channel//

Reply 18 of 43, by Elia1995

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Nah, I haven't done ANYTHING in Windows 3.11 anyway, I mean... with just the keyboard, using it is an hassle...
except "boring", nothing would hurt in installing it over... so let's get working, I'll now try to install it over it from the floppies once again, let's see if that would also fix the cursor thing automatically...

maybe, just saying maybe it had something to do with the fact that I didn't have CTMouse yet when I installed it and I added it afterwards, but this time I'd install it with CTMouse already loaded, so MAYBE it would "pick it up"... I dunno, no actual logic here, just thinking.

Most important ones:

Reply 19 of 43, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Ah, fine. If you do have enough space on your HDD, just copy fhe files of all Windows disks into a directory (say c:\winsetup).
It's simply faster and safer. If I remember correctly, the original Win 3.10 (not 3.11 or WfW versions) had a tiny bug when asking for the right diskettes.
But perhaps this was just a problem because of a mistake that occured during localization and doesn't affect later versions or versions for other languages.

//My video channel//