VOGONS

Mach64 1 or 2MB?

Topic actions

First post, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I got this card and I thought it has 2MB of memory but m64diags only shows 1MB?

TpxpfIBm.jpg

Requests are also possible... /msg kixs

Reply 4 of 35, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Just installed the card in my P-133 box and Windows 95 also reports only 1MB and 800x600/16-bit max. It looks to be working just fine. No corruption in Windows or DOS.

Reply 5 of 35, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Found this picture and it seems it should have 2MB by default and 4MB with upgrade module:

Darn no luck with last purchases... 😢

mach64_ISA-2.jpg

Reply 8 of 35, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have no idea how to start solving the mystery then 😕

BIOS would be a start and I do have a few other ATi Mach32/64 cards. But none the exact same model as this one and I doubt I can just swap the BIOS and expect to work (or get some memory problems if some chips are really bad). I certainly don't want to ruin other cards 😲

I will contact the seller although he never mentioned the memory size in the ad. I expected 2MB as this is the amount of chips.

This is my other Mach64 ISA card (picture is my card from another thread - it's missing an EEPROM). Would it's BIOS work if I just swaped it?
AA1FVnGm.jpg

Reply 9 of 35, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

These are Windows 95 advanced info from both of my Mach64 ISA.

WniHWfql.jpg

These are vBios dumps using NSSI:

1MB Mach64 BIOS date 1994

Filename
M64-1994.ZIP
File size
19.86 KiB
Downloads
68 downloads
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

2MB Mach64 BIOS date 1995

Filename
M64-1995.ZIP
File size
19.48 KiB
Downloads
54 downloads
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

They have different DAC and layout of the boards are very different. My question is: can I simply swap BIOS chips from one card to the other?

Reply 10 of 35, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

What makes you think it is a video BIOS issue? I think 2 MB was the default for the Mach64 ISA. I suspect some of your RAM chips are bad or are not making contact with the solder pad.

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 11 of 35, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

As far as I know, all the cards in the Mach8/32/64 series have a built in diagnostic that will show the location of bad memory chips each time you boot the computer.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 12 of 35, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

feipoa: I'm following what SRQ said. I have no idea what could be wrong. All memory chips look to be good in place.

AC: there is absolutely nothing going on at boot time. No ATI display logo nor any other info or error message. Just normal boot and 1MB of memory.

Reply 13 of 35, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You won't see the warning message unless the chips are bad.

Reply 17 of 35, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Texture memory? This is Mach64GX. It's not a 3D card. Mach64 does have something called an "aperture" which is normally called a "linear frame buffer". It needs to be disabled on systems with more than 16MB of RAM. It uses system memory as the LFB, and ISA can't address more than 16MB.

Reply 18 of 35, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kixs wrote:

AC: there is absolutely nothing going on at boot time. No ATI display logo nor any other info or error message. Just normal boot and 1MB of memory.

Does the same happen when you reboot the system? I've had graphics card that displayed nothing when cold booting a system, but did display a message after a system reset.

Reply 19 of 35, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yes. Did it with "warming up" the monitor and also hard reset. Tried with different motherboards and different ATI cards (Mach32/Mach64 ISA/VLB). None display anything at boot. Although newer models on PCI even get a spinning ATI logo.