VOGONS

First post, by Roman78

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Recently i got a nice Pentium one board whit a 133 Mhz CPU on it. First I installed Novell Dos 7 and got some strange emm386 error messages while running some programs, like the SB installer or Duke Nukem 3D. So i installed MS-Dos 6.22 and got some error messages while loading himem.sys. So i figured out there is something wrong. I Suspected the memory, so i run memtest86 and got some errors. So i replaced the memory, run memtest86 again... and i got some errors, so i replaced the memory and again... errors. So now i sucpect the Cache module, there is a 256K so called COASt (Cache on a Stick) module installed. I removed it, run Memtest86 again (or better saying it is running at this moment) whitout any errors.

Is there also a program to just test the Cache module?

Reply 1 of 3, by lowlytech

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I don't know of a cache test program per se, but your memory errors sounded exactly like my issue with bad cache that was soldered to a socket 7 asus board. It would only pass a memtest with the cache disabled unfortunately.

Reply 2 of 3, by Roman78

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I found a DOS program called Cachechk, who was able to test the speed of the cache. But when I did an intensive check the machine restated. As said, after removing the module everything went fine. Also could run programs that were not working before. So I assume the module is broken, or there is something wrong whit the mainboard.

Reply 3 of 3, by phantom_pl

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Have you tried to clean contacts of COAST module and connector with isopropyl alcohol? Sometimes they just got dirty with age and don't make proper contact.