VOGONS

First post, by notsofossil

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Just about any laptop that isn't newer than the Core 2 Duo CPU has at least one PCMCIA slot in it. The most I've used them for is adding USB ports and accessing Compact Flash cards. Is there anything special you guys do with PCMCIA slots?

Thinkpad T42 Win9x Drivers | Latitude D600 Win9x Drivers
Next: Dell Inspiron 8000

Reply 1 of 7, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Technically, these are CardBus, not PCMCIA. PCMCIA is the same form factor but is much older/slower (CardBus is PCI, PCMCIA is ISA). You will likely not find any PCMCIA cards useful for post-Pentium III systems.

I've used the following CardBus cards in various scenarios:

* USB 2.0 adapters for laptops which only have USB 1.1 (or just to add more USB ports)
* SD Card adapters
* CompactFlash adapters (although that's hardly useful since most of them are dreadfully slow)
* Wireless adapters for laptops that have no built-in Wifi or to get 802.11g over 802.11b

There also exist Firewire and Ethernet CardBus devices, although I have never needed such a card personally.

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 4 of 7, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I use PCMCIA and Cardbus cards with my vintage Thinkpads. Primarily to add ethernet, because it wasn't standard laptop equipment in that era. Most cards I use are 3Com: 3c589 and 3c575. I also have a SCSI/sound card combo that came with an external CDROM unit, Panasonic KXL-D745 and which I use with some very early laptops that don't have a CDROM unit. I also have a few modem cards but don't really use those.

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O

Reply 5 of 7, by nekurahoka

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have an Echo Indigo IO sound card that I use for high quality recording and playback. It has external input and output. You can hook any amplified system directly into it and record. Pretty neat card.

Dell Dimension XPS R400, 512MB SDRAM, Voodoo3 2000 AGP, Turtle Beach Montego, ESS Audiodrive 1869f ISA, Dreamblaster Synth S1
Dell GH192, P4 3.4 (Northwood), 4GB Dual Channel DDR, ATI Radeon x1650PRO 512MB, Audigy 2ZS, Alacritech 2000 Network Accelerator