VOGONS

First post, by Smack2k

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Putting together my next builds, and this one has a Gigabyte GA-686LX4 motherboard that will run a Pentium II 233. Putting a Voodoo1 Card in it and wanted to know what period correct 2D Card I should look to put in it?

I have a bunch of PCI 2D Cards (Matrox Millenium II / RIVA 128 / ATI Mach64GT / a few S3 Trio / Virge) are a few from the same years as Voodoo1 as well as some others), and some AGP as well (various ATI Rage 128 / Rage 128 Pro / STB Velocity 128 (Riva 128) / few others), but not sure if AGP is the right thing to do with what I am trying to build.

I also have newer AGP Cards, but going to have a Voodoo2 SLI setup with a Pentium III built later, and that will have an AGP card with it (Matrox G400 MAX) for the next era of gaming, so want this Pentium 2 build to be period correct for the graphics cards.

Thanks for the assistance

Reply 1 of 5, by squareguy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well... I'm not sure why exactly a Pentium II 233 but then again I do things that no one else understands 🤣. Just poking. I would think a Riva 128 would feel right at home and give you 3D options of it or Voodoo.

Just my 2 Cents

Gateway 2000 Case and 200-Watt PSU
Intel SE440BX-2 Motherboard
Intel Pentium III 450 CPU
Micron 384MB SDRAM (3x128)
Compaq Voodoo3 3500 TV Graphics Card
Turtle Beach Santa Cruz Sound Card
Western Digital 7200-RPM, 8MB-Cache, 160GB Hard Drive
Windows 98 SE

Reply 2 of 5, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Well at the time when PII-233 was around I had in my computer an ATI Rage Pro. This exact card actually. So there, you should use the same. 😁

640px-ATI_XPERT%40Play_AGP_8MB_ATI_3D_RAGE_PRO_AGP_2X_1997_front.jpg

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O

Reply 4 of 5, by Smack2k

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
squareguy wrote:

Well... I'm not sure why exactly a Pentium II 233 but then again I do things that no one else understands 🤣. Just poking. I would think a Riva 128 would feel right at home and give you 3D options of it or Voodoo.

Just my 2 Cents

It's a P2 233 as that is what I have right now closest to that generation that will allow it to run best. I am building different periods of machines just for fun and to then game / learn benchmarking - speed testing on.

My other options are a P 133 in a slot 5 or slot 7 AT or a P166 in the slot 7 AT

Reply 5 of 5, by devius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well, the LX chipset is from August 1997, so I would say any card released between early 1997 and a year later would be period correct. I vote for Riva 128 or Ati Rage II or Rage Pro. S3 Virge GX2 was what I had in my 1998 Pentium II 266MHz, together with a Matrox m3D.