VOGONS

First post, by DOSfan1994

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Guys I have been wondering, how good is Aliens vs. Predator 2 with the Voodoo 2 SLI?

I mean Aliens vs. Predator 2 requires a Directx 8 compatible card and and I am thinking that if you have a Pentium II and 2 Voodoo 2's us connected the two with a SLI cable, you can get like great Directx 8 speed on your machine (The Voodoo 2 SLI speed is on par with Voodoo 3 researched here. http://www.sysopt.com/showthread.php?50750-Di … -8-and-Voodoo-3.) Right?

Reply 1 of 19, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Recommended system requirements is about p3-800mhz. And voodoo2 and 3 can be used with directx8 but are much more useable with directx6/7 games.

I think for this game you need a faster computer, i would use something like an athlon xp with geforce3 or 4. Back in those days even the recommended system requirements didn't make games run perfect and were on the low side. Minimum was mostly just silly and you just got a slideshow.

asus tx97-e, 233mmx, voodoo1, s3 virge ,sb16
asus p5a, k6-3+ @ 550mhz, voodoo2 12mb sli, gf2 gts, awe32
asus p3b-f, p3-700, voodoo3 3500TV agp, awe64
asus tusl2-c, p3-S 1,4ghz, voodoo5 5500, live!
asus a7n8x DL, barton cpu, 6800ultra, Voodoo3 pci, audigy1

Reply 2 of 19, by DOSfan1994

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well according to the thread on the link I left here it says that voodoo 3 runs great with Directx8, if you have like 2 voodoo 2s with SLI you can get like the same speed as a voodoo 3 and a a budgetable solution to avoiding to afford a Voodoo3. It's just a trick I haven't really tried with the real hardware.

Reply 3 of 19, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yes, v2 in sli is as fast as a single voodoo3. In any game. So if voodoo3 is enough for avp2 so will v2 in sli be.

In most cases they are a little bit faster than a v3 2000 and a tiny bit slower as a v3 3000.

asus tx97-e, 233mmx, voodoo1, s3 virge ,sb16
asus p5a, k6-3+ @ 550mhz, voodoo2 12mb sli, gf2 gts, awe32
asus p3b-f, p3-700, voodoo3 3500TV agp, awe64
asus tusl2-c, p3-S 1,4ghz, voodoo5 5500, live!
asus a7n8x DL, barton cpu, 6800ultra, Voodoo3 pci, audigy1

Reply 4 of 19, by DOSfan1994

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

As I researched here on this link http://gamesystemrequirements.com/game/aliens-vs-predator-2
It says that the requires a 32 MB DirectX 8-compatible D3D video card for the recommended requirements and for the minimum it requires a 16 MB DirectX 8-compatible D3D video card and with the number of MB in maximum of a voodoo 2 card is like 12 MB and if you use SLI with another voodoo 2, You'd probably can get almost the required amount of what the game is asking for in it's recommend system requirements. And I bet if my machine's processor does not have like a Pentium III and only has a Pentium II and not fast enough then having 2 voodoo2's can cover that. I mean the processor help for games that uses software only.

Reply 5 of 19, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Those LithTech Talon games are CPU hogs. It won't do you much good to SLI 2 V2s. Not even a Geforce4 will save AVP2 performance on a P2.

Also SLI'ing Voodoo2s will not give you a 24MB card to run games that require more than 8MB.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 6 of 19, by Darkman

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

AvP2 is one of those games where the minimum system requirements are not nearly enough to run the game. Ive tried running the game on a PIII 800 and a Geforce2Ti , and it was not pleasant even at low resolutions.

The game really needs a Geforce3/4 and an AthlonXP (or at least a Tualatin) to be good.

Reply 10 of 19, by carlostex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

My experience with this game was good. I ran it with Athlon XP 1700+ (1466MHz) and GeForce 2 Ti. I don't recall any low frames or slowdowns, in fact my neighbour who bought same custom configured PC as i did often told me how great the game ran. He actually bought the game and i borrowed it.

Don't get the idea of running this game in V2 SLI.

Reply 12 of 19, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

What do you mean? It's far superior with DirectX and OpenGL renderers, but can't do Glide natively, so you have to run wrappers like nGlide. This is one reason I believe in having as much CPU performance as possible in a Win98 system.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 13 of 19, by DOSfan1994

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
carlostex wrote:

Don't get the idea of running this game in V2 SLI.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GeForce_2_series
Geforce 2 Ti renders Direct 3D 7.0, same for Voodoo 2 carlostex.

Last edited by DOSfan1994 on 2016-12-07, 01:22. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 14 of 19, by DOSfan1994

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
gdjacobs wrote:

What do you mean? It's far superior with DirectX and OpenGL renderers, but can't do Glide natively, so you have to run wrappers like nGlide. This is one reason I believe in having as much CPU performance as possible in a Win98 system.

I'm sorry, Did you even saw the link to Wikipidia that has information about the GeForce2 series, gdjabobs ?

Reply 16 of 19, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
DOSfan1994 wrote:

I'm sorry, Did you even saw the link to Wikipidia that has information about the GeForce2 series, gdjabobs ?

I'm pretty familiar with the hardware and feel I summarized things well enough. Voodoo 3 does not have a hardware T&L unit, so I don't consider it to be equivalent to a GF1 or GF2 at all nor is a Geforce card a direct replacement of a Voodoo 3 as it won't run Glide natively.

Reply 18 of 19, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Transformation & Lighting.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transform,_clip … g,_and_lighting

Reply 19 of 19, by DOSfan1994

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Ohhh, I freaking stand corrected, Voodoo 2 does not have that and leilei you were right.... I am a failure, I am very double for real sorry for giving you so much crud lately. Aliens vs. predator 2 with the voodoo 2 does not work properly with the voodoo 2 in SLI.