VOGONS

First post, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

First off, I got this little guy in an ebay lot auction for a song. Even if this did not work, the mac > pc video adapters were worth it. It is the Entrega U1-SC25 This company was bought out by xircom, and then intel. Intel is AWESOME for having drivers, and still has them on their site, even though it took a bit of digging to get them.

XGGXfc5m.jpg

Works just fine! drivers exist for 9x and 2000. but the 2k drivers work fine in xp. I fired up m win98 in a virtural box on my win7 machine, passed the usb directly to the vm, and it worked fine there too. It was painless as can be.

Performance is... Exactly what you would expect from a USB 1.1 device. I did not have a external drive enclosure handy, so I improvised a setup:
T4tnxT3m.jpg

I did find out a few quirks with the device.

1. order is important. connect everything, power the drives, then plug the usb in.
2. supports cd and hard drives just fine. even multiples. I would assume up to 6 devices, just like regular scsi. (I only tested 2)
3. performance is limited to usb 1.1 or at best 1.25 mb/s I did not realize just how used to usb 2/3 I had become.
4. seems buggy if you have the hard drives set to auto spin-up. Things worked better when it was off and you let the adapter spin up the drives.
5. I dont know about 68pin devices yet, I dont have the proper cable handy, I kludged the 2nd picture together and I was lucky for it to work.
6. works just like a usb-ide/sata adapter. From what I can tell you cant "scan the scsi bus" like a real card, but its really not that important.

This will fit the bill perfectly for me to image old scsi drives for my IBM machines and old macs. I dont care about speed, I'm just glad to not have to power cycle a server to use the scsi card I currently have installed.

Last edited by luckybob on 2016-12-11, 18:27. Edited 1 time in total.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 1 of 8, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Just to confirm, this is for attaching external SCSI devices to a computer's USB port? That is, you are not connecting USB devices to your SCSI card's external SCSI port. I am assuming the former.

So does this work with scanners?

I hope your HDD's aren't too big. USB 1.1 is extremely slow.

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 2 of 8, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

*fixed 2nd image*

yes. I would assume it would allow up to 6 devices on one usb 1.1 connection.

The drives I tested are 1gb. Again, speed is not a huge factor for me. It is the convenience. I run a minecraft server on my garage pc, and I hate taking it down because I have to do a proper save from ramdisk, reboot, install scsi, and so forth. Sometime people are online and I can't shut down.

Reply 3 of 8, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That is a very unique use of a PCI SCSI card. I did not realise that you could use a PCI card as a pin converter like that without being plugged into the PCI slot. Where did you learn this neat trick? Is there anything you had to do to get it working as a pin converter?

Reply 4 of 8, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

🤣 yea that was a spur of the moment thing. I don't actually have a 50 pin pci header so I just tried it. I always knew it was directly connected, I just made sure there were no termination resistors.

I did a little more dicking around with it. Works just fine with a zip drive and my syquest 135.

Reply 5 of 8, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It is amazing how many different types of devices used SCSI which have long since been forgotten! The only external SCSI item I have left is a working HP Scanjet, but it also has a USB port, so that is what gets used.

Reply 6 of 8, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Is it bootable? In other words, assuming that the computer it's attached to can boot from USB, can you boot from an attached SCSI device?

(Seems like an interesting gadget; however, I have more SCSI cards than I can shake a stick at - I could put one in every one of my builds, and still have some left over so this gadget would only be useful in the situation you mentioned - attaching a SCSI device if you don't want to power down a computer - or to a laptop)

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O

Reply 8 of 8, by DandumontP

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Not that with many USB to SCSI adapter, you can use the adapter without driver. There is limitation, but it works. With my Michrotec mode, i can use only one peripheral, configured with ID 0 without drive.