VOGONS

First post, by bregolin

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Not sure if anyone has seen anything like this before- I have bought a second hand Toshiba Tecra 750cdm (a Pentium MMX 233mhz, 160mb RAM, 4gb HD, Yamaha OPL-SAx, S3 ViRGE MX) and after using it for about 4-5 hours nonstop, it powered off by itself when I was booting to the Ultimate Boot CD to run diagnostics for the HD (which is failing). Then after that, every time it powers on, it turns itself off after 13~ seconds.
I tried letting it be for a while, unplugged everything and still the same thing happens. Unplugged the hard drive and the CD drive, still happens. Even when I'm inside the BIOS setup, it still happens.

I'm guessing it is the power adapter, it's what makes most sense to me, as it is not overheating for sure.

I was going to try and tear it open but I couldn't find any service manual so I decided not to try and pry it open. Well, not for now at least 😀

IBM Aptiva 2162 - P55 166 MMX, 32MB, CS4237B + Wavetable, ATI Mach64 2MB / Win98SE
Custom PIII 750, 64MB, SB AWE64, Voodoo 3 3000 AGP / Win98SE
Sony Vaio z505 SuperSlim - PIII 550, 192MB, YMF744, NeoMagic 256AV+ / Win98SE

Reply 4 of 4, by bregolin

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks guys, and sorry for posting in the wrong forum.

When I got up this morning I tried turning it on again just to see what would happen- nothing came on the screen and then it shut itself off after 15 seconds, so it must have had a bad night of sleep.

By then I was certain it was the power supply, so I took it to a shop nearby where I used an universal power adapter and it did power up, but it also turned off after 15 seconds or so.

Possibly some bad capacitors or voltage regulators to blame, but whatever it is, it's not worth the hassle and I'm sure I'll end up paying as much to fix it as I paid for the whole thing. Will return it to the seller next week.

IBM Aptiva 2162 - P55 166 MMX, 32MB, CS4237B + Wavetable, ATI Mach64 2MB / Win98SE
Custom PIII 750, 64MB, SB AWE64, Voodoo 3 3000 AGP / Win98SE
Sony Vaio z505 SuperSlim - PIII 550, 192MB, YMF744, NeoMagic 256AV+ / Win98SE