VOGONS

First post, by Ampera

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

In your opnion, what is the best. It can be anything that works on that range of processors including 86-DOS, to Windows XP x64. It can be IBM compatible, and it can be not. As long as it's on that CPU it counts.

For me it's Windows NT4, with a caveat. This is my favourite outright retro OS that I would like to use on an appropriate system. My favourite OS that would fit into this CPU range is Windows 2000, but I don't count it as if it were still supported by Microsoft and software devs, I would still be using it.

EDIT: Let me rephrase my statement.

It doesn't have to run on all of them, it can run on some or just one.

Apologies for the confusion.

Last edited by Ampera on 2017-02-01, 16:45. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 24, by tayyare

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

NT4 (or even 3.x, for that matter) works on a 8088? A 32 bit OS?

I really don't think so.

GA-6VTXE PIII 1.4+512MB
Geforce4 Ti 4200 64MB
Diamond Monster 3D 12MB SLI
SB AWE64 PNP+32MB
120GB IDE Samsung/80GB IDE Seagate/146GB SCSI Compaq/73GB SCSI IBM
Adaptec AHA29160
3com 3C905B-TX
Gotek+CF Reader
MSDOS 6.22+Win 3.11/95 OSR2.1/98SE/ME/2000

Reply 2 of 24, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I don't think there is any OS that runs on the full range of computer hardware specified in the OP. Too many differences in architecture overall.

Reply 3 of 24, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

MS-DOS 3.3 is probably the only OS that would work at all on ALL those platforms.

If you specify a more narrow range, for instance 386-PIII, NT4 works I guess.

World's foremost 486 enjoyer.

Reply 5 of 24, by lazibayer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Errius wrote:

DOS 3.30 can read HD floppies right? How would you get a hard disk to work in a DOS 3.30 machine with only PCI slots?

The OP didn't restrict the absence of hard drive, so maybe running on a floppy also counts?
There are P4 motherboards that come with ISA slot.

Reply 6 of 24, by xplus93

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'd have to say linux runing gnome 2.x and beryl/compiz. It barely qualifies, but holds a special place in my heart. I ran it on a P3-1GHz with a radeon 9250 that I bought just for that purpose. Realistically speaking I would say 2000, that was an absolutely amazing and rock solid OS. And if you want to go vintage I would pick CP/M simply because of the history of he company and Gary Kildall.

XPS 466V|486-DX2|64MB|#9 GXE 1MB|SB32 PnP
Presario 4814|PMMX-233|128MB|Trio64
XPS R450|PII-450|384MB|TNT2 Pro| TB Montego
XPS B1000r|PIII-1GHz|512MB|GF2 PRO 64MB|SB Live!
XPS Gen2|P4 EE 3.4|2GB|GF 6800 GT OC|Audigy 2

Reply 8 of 24, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

There was something called ELKS which aimed to do just that, but it has subsequently died.

It seems you can install MINIX 2, theoretically:
https://minix1.woodhull.com/faq/xt360kdsk.html

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 9 of 24, by jade_angel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

That will run on all of the above? Well... DR-DOS, probably. I know 7.03 would at least /boot/ on a Tandy 1000SL. That's an 8086, not an 8088, but I suspect it would run on an 8088 too. I've also successfully booted it on an Opteron, so I suspect it would have no issues with a Pentium 4. I've certainly run it successfully on Slot A Athlons and Pentium IIIs.

Otherwise, the OS that holds a special place in my heart is probably still OS/2 Warp, though of course it won't run on anything older than a 386, and getting it working on anything newer than a Pentium Pro is a real challenge (though possible). When I got my first "real computer" as I thought of it - a 486DX4 - it came with a broken installation of Windows 3.1 on a broken installation of MS-DOS (many files were missing, nothing worked right). The only things I had to reinstall were my DR-DOS floppies and a copy of OS/2 Warp 3.0 that I'd found at a random nearby computer shop. I installed OS/2, and then DR-DOS in another partition for my games that didn't work in OS/2 (surprisingly few, actually), and I ran that for a few years. So in a sense, I still think of that as my first "Real OS" - what with its multitasking and whizzy features, and a GUI much slicker than the Windows 3.x one. To be frank, I don't think Windows really caught up to OS/2's desktop experience until at least XP - and some of that is just me having finally gotten used to Windows' warts by then. On Unix, I still prefer a somewhat more OS/2-like environment, with drag and drop, a launchpad/panel, etc.

That box eventually got Win95 for a few weeks - out that went, and back in OS/2 went, about the time it crashed on me and cost me a full day's work on a research paper. At some point in there I started messing with Linux (and FreeBSD) and discovered KDE (great stuff, KDE 1.0 was), but that's another story. Linux and Solaris may be what I use mostly today, plus Windows for games, but OS/2 still holds a special place in my memories.

Main Box: Macbook Pro M2 Max
Alas, I'm down to emulation.

Reply 10 of 24, by Errius

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Are there software that runs on 8086 but not 8088? I think the only difference is speed.

Norton SI 4.5 Advanced Edition Computing Index (CI) for:

8 MHz 8088: 1.7
8 MHz 8086: 1.9

Is this too much voodoo?

Reply 11 of 24, by Ampera

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I need to make it painfully clear again. I meant it ran on ONE of those CPUs. It does NOT have to run on all of them. It can run on one it can run on all. This means ANY x86 and x64 OS that was released from the 8086's inception to the last Pentium 4 going off the market is allowed.

Reply 13 of 24, by lazibayer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Ampera wrote:

I need to make it painfully clear again. I meant it ran on ONE of those CPUs. It does NOT have to run on all of them. It can run on one it can run on all. This means ANY x86 and x64 OS that was released from the 8086's inception to the last Pentium 4 going off the market is allowed.

Then what's the point of bringing up these processors? Just ask people what' are their favorite x86/x86-64 retro OSes.

Reply 14 of 24, by Ampera

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
lazibayer wrote:
Ampera wrote:

Then what's the point of bringing up these processors? Just ask people what' are their favorite x86/x86-64 retro OSes.

Because I wish to exclude operating systems like Vista, 7, 8, 10, etc. Hindsight is 20/20.

Reply 15 of 24, by lazibayer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Ampera wrote:
Errius wrote:

Linux on an 8088 is an interesting project.

Especially since Linux requires virtual memory support.

Regular Linux started with 32bit from the very beginning kernel version 0.01. There is one 16bit derivative, ELKS, that is targeted for 8086 systems. In an extreme case some one managed to boot Linux on a 8bit RISC microcontroller with the help of self-written ARMv5 emulator.

Reply 16 of 24, by Errius

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Is there any advantage on a 8088/8086 system running DOS 4 over DOS 3.3?

Last edited by Errius on 2017-02-02, 07:26. Edited 1 time in total.

Is this too much voodoo?

Reply 17 of 24, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
lazibayer wrote:

Regular Linux started with 32bit from the very beginning kernel version 0.01. There is one 16bit derivative, ELKS, that is targeted for 8086 systems. In an extreme case some one managed to boot Linux on a 8bit RISC microcontroller with the help of self-written ARMv5 emulator.

Interesting that ELKS restarted. I was not aware of that.

Anyway, the best option for UNIX (like) on first generation x86 processors is MINIX 2.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 19 of 24, by lolo799

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

ELKS runs well on my XT with 512k of RAM, not the last version but one of the earlier, 0.1.0 or 0.1.4, forgot which, running from a 360k floppy disk.
Haven't tried Minix2 yet, something I want to do eventually.
QNX also had a version running on 8088 cpus.

PCMCIA Sound, Storage & Graphics