VOGONS

First post, by ScoutPilot19

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

For last few years I tried to demonstrate my vintage_computers at non-computer events - to popularise the Idea of Retrocomputing) At Vintage Car Exhebitions, Gamers and Cosplayer's forum, etc... This summer took some machines to an outdoor festival, the Cosmofest - it took place on a bank of a lake. I placed them on a wooden table with a plastic roof... I wonder - how bad it's for old computers - as modern devices work normally on such festivals, like notebooks, dijital projectors or all that musical, guitar and soundrecording hardware...

Here's a picure how it's been on the Cosmofest...

puzAkzS.jpg

Reply 1 of 8, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I shouldn't think it would be bad for them - unless it was raining, of course.

EDIT: I guess you might worry about yellowing from being in the sun all day, but if it's only a short time...

World's foremost 486 enjoyer.

Reply 2 of 8, by Ampera

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Water is the only real issue. They are by 0 means waterproof. But unless you want to count yellowing from sun exposure, they are fine. Yellowing takes months to happen, and required direct sun contact.

Reply 3 of 8, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED
keenmaster486 wrote:

I shouldn't think it would be bad for them - unless it was raining, of course.

EDIT: I guess you might worry about yellowing from being in the sun all day, but if it's only a short time...

Yellowing could be a problem, but just keep the stuff in the shade and it will do fine.

If its a nice dry day around 60-80f and no wind you should be fine, just be sure not to let any bugs or dust get into the computers.

Your only two reall problems are the water and crud getting sucked un by the fans. A dry none windy day in a spot with out dust will be fine in . A wet windy day not so much.

Reply 5 of 8, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Agreed with above.

There's also bugs and the added risk of stuff dropping into the grass 😜

And having stable power might also be a good idea and make sure the stuff you use to put these on is level.

And make sure to keep a swat team on standby in case of thiefs 😜

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 7 of 8, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Think of it this way
We see pics here of computers that have spent their lives in industrial workshops or whatever and absolutely filthy but still work fine.
Few hours in fresh air isn't going to hurt, probably lass dusty then some peoples homes!