VOGONS

Reply 5120 of 27625, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED
havli wrote:
Noticed small black Pentium pro sticker on one old Compaq PC at my workplace... so I loaded a copy of Speedsys on a floppy disk […]
Show full quote

Noticed small black Pentium pro sticker on one old Compaq PC at my workplace... so I loaded a copy of Speedsys on a floppy disk and it really is in there 🤣 Must have been quite expensive back in the day.

pprov1klp.png

You should submit that on HWbot. Free gold 🤣

Reply 5121 of 27625, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Not computer related.... For the first time, I saw "Once upon a time in the west".
I give it 5 out of 5. The brilliant move in this film, is that they do not tell anything before it happens.
And yes... Wonderfull camera work, wonderfull scenery and the bad guys are portraied as
a regulair dude and not as one of those hollywood stereotypes. Aka' psychopaths.
(it was the restored edition I saw)

For all western movie lovers... This is a golden oldie from Sergio leone.
Yes... The man who created "A fistfull of dollars" and other great westerns.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 5126 of 27625, by tikoellner

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Today I got this caching VLB IDE controller. It's LCS-6941 rev. C. I decided to buy it as my VLB mobo (ASUS VL/I-486SVGO) does not seem to support LBA:

$_57.JPG

I found some firmware update here (http://manual.longshine.de/5_Old_Product_Driv … /1st-readme.txt) that mentiones LBA is supported by this card. Will give it a try.

Reply 5127 of 27625, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I played some Super Mario World. (Mario Allstars edition)

Reply 5128 of 27625, by Nvm1

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Today I removed three barrel batteries from the motherboards I bought in the big package as mentioned in Bought these (retro) hardware today
The first one went pretty good, it had hardly leaked and only had some crystals on one side of the battery.
Picture from (unknown) mobo:
20170211_222259_zps7sr7pndr.jpg.html
The ticking time bomb:
20170211_222315_zps7uuxzuom.jpg
No damage to the surrounding parts:
20170211_222326_zpsi2yp42zo.jpg
Clean desoldered from the bottom:
20170211_231112_zpseb59vxpy.jpg
Mobo cleared from the barrel bomb 🤣
20170211_231926_zps0gdouyst.jpg
No damage at all after the removal:
20170211_231938_zpstiz8k9v3.jpg

Patient number two, QD-U486DX with alot of damage to the surroundings of the shitty battery:
Complete mobo:
20170211_232830_zpsuerufyxe.jpg
Close up of affected area.. lots of green goo:
20170211_232840_zpsywqwqvne.jpg
Battery gone, didn't go too good. The solder hardly wanted to melt even at 400 degree Celsius after adding new solder 😠
20170212_001524_zps1biucmlu.jpg
Another close up of the damage:
20170212_001537_zpsxmudbn63.jpg

Patient number three, again unknown mobo, already some damage surrounding the battery but it came of pretty good:
Full mobo after removal of battery:
20170212_190502_zpsrsbrb8y8.jpg
Close up of area:
20170212_190512_zpseuv18fok.jpg
Another close up with better sight of the affected spots. I removed the Bios chip because there was some goo under it
20170212_190528_zpsrckpoz5l.jpg

All three mobo's are currently being cleaned with concentrated Lemon Juice which seems to clean most of it off.
Will post pictures of the after situation, hopefully with three fully functioning boards. If anybody has any info about the two unknown boards I would be happy. They don't have all settings silkscreened on them 😒

Reply 5129 of 27625, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

A picture is worth a thousand words...IMG_1270.jpg

This is the only site I've found that works properly on Navigator 3. Can anyone point me to any other good ones?

World's foremost 486 enjoyer.

Reply 5130 of 27625, by kithylin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Nvm1 wrote:

All three mobo's are currently being cleaned with concentrated Lemon Juice which seems to clean most of it off.
Will post pictures of the after situation, hopefully with three fully functioning boards. If anybody has any info about the two unknown boards I would be happy. They don't have all settings silkscreened on them 😒

Unfortunately most 486 boards don't have any information on them. Some do.. but most don't. Your best bet is to get one to POST and then type the Bios ID string into google and you should be able to find more information. That's how I look up most of my motherboards.

Reply 5131 of 27625, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
kithylin wrote:
Nvm1 wrote:

Unfortunately most 486 boards don't have any information on them. Some do.. but most don't. Your best bet is to get one to POST and then type the Bios ID string into google and you should be able to find more information. That's how I look up most of my motherboards.

th99 and then browse through all the pics of all 486 boards. Should only be around 1700 of em 🤣

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 5132 of 27625, by Nvm1

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
kithylin wrote:
Nvm1 wrote:

If they post this is usually the easiest way. If they don't post then it will be a bit more tricky.

Reply 5133 of 27625, by Nvm1

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Tetrium wrote:
kithylin wrote:
Nvm1 wrote:

th99 and then browse through all the pics of all 486 boards. Should only be around 1700 of em 🤣

Good way to lose two days of your life 🤣 I hope they post then the bios string might do the trick. If they don't post then it will be a very big puzzle..

Reply 5134 of 27625, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Nvm1 wrote:
Tetrium wrote:

Good way to lose two days of your life 🤣 I hope they post then the bios string might do the trick. If they don't post then it will be a very big puzzle..

2 days??? With a good pic of the board I could do it in within half an hour (without taking any breaks and on a good day).

Have any pics?

Report spammers here!

Reply 5135 of 27625, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I know the computer is not that old, yet it is going to be my daily driver from now on.
I changed the LCD panel in this lovely Thinkpad R61. Yeah....
The picture with the fresh panel, has not yet had the bezel re-attached. It is now.
The procedure is not really that complicated.

- Take off the bezel. (5 screws)
- Deattach the flat-cabels behind the screen and one plug located behind the pcb below the screen.
- Remove 4 screws from the rods that are connected to the hinges.
- Remove a fresh free'ed lcd panel.
- Do everything clockwise.

The first picture is the damage on the old panel, the second is the screen being tested.

Patiet-01.jpg
Filename
Patiet-01.jpg
File size
95.22 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
Patiet-02.jpg
Filename
Patiet-02.jpg
File size
113.83 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 5136 of 27625, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Nvm1 wrote:
kithylin wrote:
Nvm1 wrote:

If they post this is usually the easiest way. If they don't post then it will be a bit more tricky.

Duuuuude, I went through all pics on th99 and only found a couple boards that looked similar but then I noticed your board actually has the model number on the PCB.

Simple google search and I got this 486/P1/P2 and several goodies

It seems to be a Soyo 025D2 and its model number is on the yellow sticker near the top ISA slot 😵

Here's one that looked similar
http://www.uncreativelabs.de/th99/m/S-T/32316.htm

Your other mystery board also has a yellow sticker with the model number on it and it seems to be this one http://www.uncreativelabs.de/th99/m/S-T/31348.htm

Now you owe me a beer! 😈
edit: Lets make it a sixpack 😈 😈 😈 😈 😈 😈
edit2: Pack of Belgian special beer would be even better 🤣!

Last edited by Tetrium on 2017-02-13, 18:08. Edited 1 time in total.

Report spammers here!

Reply 5137 of 27625, by lazibayer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Tetrium wrote:

I think it would be great helpful to create another indexing of th99's motherboards with respect to features, such as number of ISA slots, 30pin memory slots, etc.

Reply 5138 of 27625, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
lazibayer wrote:
Tetrium wrote:

I think it would be great helpful to create another indexing of th99's motherboards with respect to features, such as number of ISA slots, 30pin memory slots, etc.

Should be doable using a similar table as already exists on Vogonswiki for the s370 boards (mostly centered around Tualatin, ISA, DDR and C3 support).

Report spammers here!

Reply 5139 of 27625, by CelGen

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Managed to repair a power supply in a 70's HP computer that had been tormenting be for a year. One of two op-amps in the 5V regulation watchdog circuit had failed.

IMG_3702.jpg

New chips are now on order. In the meantime I spent the rest of the morning building a replica of the Sony Playstation 2 VGA cable.

IMG_7035.jpg

Now I just need to find the matching keyboard, mouse and monitor Sony sold (I'll pay good money for any of that, by the way) and I have a system ready to demo.

emot-science.gif "It's science. I ain't gotta explain sh*t" emot-girl.gif