VOGONS

Reply 5161 of 27643, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'm going to start with my K7 benching today but I had to do something else first!

A year ago a bought a lot of 10 or so broken motherboards to use as spare parts, if I could not fix them that is. The price ended up ~75 SEK + 89 SEK shipping = ~15 euro if I remember right and the motherboards were shipped in a box without much protection. When I got the box I heard rattling inside and decided to not even open it until I needed something like a flash chip or the like.

Some days ago I opened the box and inspected the motherboards, the seller who had tested the boards had included notes taped to each board with his tesing results. One motherboard caught my eyes, a DFI nForce4 SLI LanParty Expert, a kind of rare and sought after Socket 939 motherboard.

This is how the motherboard arrived, I guess the chipset cooler got loose during shipping.

DFI nForce4 SLI Lanparty UT Expert as it arrived.jpg
Filename
DFI nForce4 SLI Lanparty UT Expert as it arrived.jpg
File size
984.55 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

This is the sellers note. It translates as "SLI (what he calls the motherboard) February 15. Starts but do not post, not with PCI nor with PCI-E."

The note included with the DFI board..jpg
Filename
The note included with the DFI board..jpg
File size
137.01 KiB
Views
File license

What could be the issue? Lets remove the chipset heat sink so we can get a better look. You do not need to be rocket scientist to understand why this board do not post...

DFI nForce4 SLI Lanparty UT Expert Houston we have a problem.jpg
Filename
DFI nForce4 SLI Lanparty UT Expert Houston we have a problem.jpg
File size
985.09 KiB
Views
File license

This looks much better but the chipset has really taken a beating.

DFI nForce4 SLI Lanparty UT Expert clean.jpg
Filename
DFI nForce4 SLI Lanparty UT Expert clean.jpg
File size
708.94 KiB
Views
File license

Will the motherboard work? We will soon find out!

Last edited by Skyscraper on 2017-02-18, 11:44. Edited 1 time in total.

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.
Older PC: K6-3+ 400@600MHz, PC-Chips M577, 256MB SDRAM, AWE64, Voodoo Banshee.

Reply 5162 of 27643, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The DFI nForce4 SLI LanParty Expert seems to work just fine.

DFI nForce4 SLI Lanparty UT Expert splash screen .jpg
Filename
DFI nForce4 SLI Lanparty UT Expert splash screen .jpg
File size
444.8 KiB
Views
File license
DFI nForce4 SLI Lanparty UT Expert posting.jpg
Filename
DFI nForce4 SLI Lanparty UT Expert posting.jpg
File size
395.23 KiB
Views
File license

I will test this motherboard at a later date to see how well it overclocks. Now I need to get back to setting up my Socket A test system.

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.

Reply 5163 of 27643, by boxpressed

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Installed a Matsushita CR-563-B for the first time in about 25 years. The one I bought back in the day came with the controller card, but this one I hooked up to a SB Pro 2 CT1600. Found the drivers in a Vogons thread, and it works great.

Using it in a Wang 386SX-20. The motherboard has built-in IDE, but the BIOS doesn't seem to recognize IDE CD-ROM drives.

Reply 5164 of 27643, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Enlisted the reflexes of my 12 yr old son to help me clear the "Catch the Light" puzzle at the end of Level 7 on Legend of Grimrock.
This: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3YdDnI83X9g
Since this was an optional puzzle, I originally decided to just skip it. But he took up the challenge and helped me clear it after about 20 tries. 😊

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 5165 of 27643, by lolo799

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Played a bit with the network version of the QNX demo floppy on my 486 this wekend:

qnxdemo1.JPG
Filename
qnxdemo1.JPG
File size
84.97 KiB
Views
File license
qnxdemo2.JPG
Filename
qnxdemo2.JPG
File size
73.29 KiB
Views
File license

PCMCIA Sound, Storage & Graphics

Reply 5166 of 27643, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

Pulled my VP-1000 apart to fix what I thought was a failing motor. But between the gas laser and heat from recent use has coused it to do a funny thing with all the corrosion.

And yes that is corrosion. Well ladybugs cover in corrosion believe it or not. Yes you read that right, some of the dead ladybugs are covered in corrosion, I filled them down and fround each lump to have a ladybug inside. But oddly not one bit of corrosion on the electrics.

Reply 5167 of 27643, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'm at work reading old Socket A related threads on the "xtremesystems" forum. I just stumbled on a thread titled "Artifacting in nature, please help", I love the overclocking community of yesteryear.

Reply 5168 of 27643, by FuzzyLogic

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yesterday I was messing around with a SS7 build. I bumped into an old Acer/AOpen AT keyboard and it flew off the desk and hit my chair's armrest hard. Several keys don't work anymore and I did not feel like removing 30 tiny screws from the bottom to see what the damage was. So I grabbed my IBM PS/2 from the basement and found that the DIN connector was smashed into an oval. 😠

Reply 5169 of 27643, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I've actually spend about 2 hours looking through a couple boxes of DIMMs (small boxes 🤣) looking for any VC-RAM but alas didn't find any 🙁

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 5170 of 27643, by Nvm1

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Tried to test the Soyo 025D2 motherboard but no cigar.
PSU runs, Keyboard light goes shortly on, floppy lighted up shortly but no post/no boot.
I used a second hand 17" Medion TFT that worked on a Slot1 system an hour before.
Removed everything except the isa Trident 9000B and tried again. Still nothing, so I swapped the Trident for another Trident 9000B which I already tested other systems with and no beep/post of image on the screen. Also tried the attached speaker but no beep whatsoever.

Smacking my head against the wall, I started to think the Soyo board won't post if not atleast some battery is attached. Could that be possible?
Postcard was giving smoke when used in another newer system a few days before so I unfortunatly don't have one at the moment 😠
Gonna try more this evening.

Reply 5171 of 27643, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

First couple of donations for my Pentium MMX build arrived today:

gallery_60983_11505_567630.jpg
Actually came with a Pentium 133 installed but I took the liberty of replacing it with my Pentium 133 MMX

gallery_60983_11505_350844.jpg
The Pentium 133 removed from the board. Never saw a Pentium processor with an integrated heatsink like this, it appears impossible to remove.. The fan can be replaced. Is this regular? Never owned a Pentium PC, moved from 486 straight to Slot Pentium II back in the day..

gallery_60983_11505_74222.jpg
And some EDO RAM.. The bottom two are 8MB/piece I believe but the top two, I have no idea. Anyone can tell?

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 5172 of 27643, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

@appiah4

That is not a Pentium 133. The integrated HSF indicates a Pentium Overdrive chip. Not sure which one, but it can potentially be MMX (see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pentium_OverDrive) and is probably 166Mhz (the only 133Mhz that was made was for the socket 4).

Also, regarding your MMX cpu, I didn't think they made one at 133Mhz except for laptops. My understanding is they started at 166Mhz.

Reply 5173 of 27643, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Whaaat? 😀

The MMX is indeed 166MHz my error.. as for the Pentium Overdrive I have no odea what this is.. SMH..

med_gallery_60983_11505_165615.jpg

Reply 5175 of 27643, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If it's a PODMMX, then it might support test register manipulation with Setmul. This would make it much more flexible for slowing down for older DOS games.
Just stick it back into the computer, power it on and run CHKCPU (assuming you haven't changed the motherboard jumpers that it was set to before you removed it). If so, hopefully you can remember how it was jumpered.

Reply 5176 of 27643, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
clueless1 wrote:

If it's a PODMMX, then it might support test register manipulation with Setmul. This would make it much more flexible for slowing down for older DOS games.
Just stick it back into the computer, power it on and run CHKCPU (assuming you haven't changed the motherboard jumpers that it was set to before you removed it). If so, hopefully you can remember how it was jumpered.

Changed the jumper for voltage from 3.3v to 2.8v only easy to change back.

Is a POD 166mmx better than a regular p166mmx? Why is the vcore so high? Is it basically an OCed lower Pentium?

Reply 5177 of 27643, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Depends, as clueless1 noted. The best way to check is to load DOS and try altering the TR12 test registers with SETMUL. If it works, you have a great DOS slowdown CPU!

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 5178 of 27643, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The vcore at 3.3 so that it is electrically compatible with socket 5. There is a voltage regulator under the HSF that converts to 2.8v in the cpu. That's why it's an Overdrive chip, so you can upgrade older socket 5 systems to MMX.

Reply 5179 of 27643, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
appiah4 wrote:
Whaaat? :-) […]
Show full quote

Whaaat? 😀

The MMX is indeed 166MHz my error.. as for the Pentium Overdrive I have no odea what this is.. SMH..

med_gallery_60983_11505_165615.jpg

It looks like a regular boxed Pentium MMX. The PODMMX looked different.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!