VOGONS

Reply 20 of 38, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED
gdjacobs wrote:

Manual bid sniping isn't really a thing anymore.

I noticed that lately. I still do it sometimes, probably one of the few.

Reply 21 of 38, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
NooNaN wrote:

I have almost the same setup as you're going for.

I went with the P5A-B and def +1 for that. Try to get the latest BIOS revision...
I had a V3 3500 but swapped out for a V3 3000 just to avoid the crazy bulky cable needed for the 3500.

There's also this 😀

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 22 of 38, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Richo wrote:

Will be pure windows pc, got a p1 for late Dos game

Sweet... 😀 Then it is a decent starter card, that you have found for it. There is allways a chance to change it for a better.
Back in 1999/03-ish I was running with a PCI-128 in my main machine. Not the best choice, yet it was decent.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 23 of 38, by deleted_Rc

User metadata
brostenen wrote:
Richo wrote:

Will be pure windows pc, got a p1 for late Dos game

Sweet... 😀 Then it is a decent starter card, that you have found for it. There is allways a chance to change it for a better.
Back in 1999/03-ish I was running with a PCI-128 in my main machine. Not the best choice, yet it was decent.

It's a nice bonus since I only required the case. Been looking into the mini tower and discovered a lack of cooling mounts. No possible way to mount any kind of cooling in the case....
Guess I will soon be spending some time modding the case for some fans. I don't expect cooling to be a issue however while I am at it, I will build a low maintenance build. This means I will create a high static pressure inside the tower, I still have a 120x120 fan which I will mount in the front end of the case for air intake with 1 smaller fan out top for airflow, guess the best place would be mounting a intake fan to my psu and replacing the old one. This will create plenty of cooling and prevent dust from entering the tower (I will use a dust filter for the intake fan). Furthermore I should close of as many unnecessary holes for a higher static pressure inside.

Last edited by deleted_Rc on 2017-02-11, 01:28. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 25 of 38, by Kodai

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Tetrium wrote:
NooNaN wrote:

I have almost the same setup as you're going for.

I went with the P5A-B and def +1 for that. Try to get the latest BIOS revision...
I had a V3 3500 but swapped out for a V3 3000 just to avoid the crazy bulky cable needed for the 3500.

There's also this 😀

The best option would be one of the Compaq Voodoo3 3500's as they used a standard VGA interface. They also didn't have the A/V input-output circuit and would therefore draw less power and run cooler. As far as the Voodoo3 line of cards goes, it really seems to be the best of the best. Check this site for an overview of all the known Voodoo3 cards. http://www.thedodgegarage.com/3dfx/v3.htm

OP, I would highly recommend the Gigabyte 5AA if you can. Of all the SS7 boards in my collection, the 5AX is my goto board for my DOS rigs. The 5AA is the same, but of course just AT form factor. I've never tried Win 9X on any SS7 board of my own, but I know that the 5AX Windows drivers are reliable.

Personally, I only use Slot 1 / Socket A or higher boards for Windows and SS7 and lower for DOS. Good luck with your build and keep us updated on its progress.

Last edited by Kodai on 2017-02-11, 06:03. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 26 of 38, by deleted_Rc

User metadata

OP, I would highly recommend the Gigabyte 5AA if you can. Of all the SS7 boards in my collection, the 5AX is my goto board for my DOS rigs. The 5AA is the same, but of course just AT form factor. I've never tried Win 9X on any SS7 board of my own, but I know that the 5AX Windows drivers are reliable.

Personally, I only use Slot 1 / Socket A or higher boards for Windows and SS7 and lower for DOS. Good luck with your build and keep us updated on its progress.

The thing is getting a ss7 board whereas preference isn't much of a option(won't lower my standard though). It seems like patience is key for this build. Mobo decides whatever other components I can use, the gigabyte mobo sounds most alluring but I will settle for asus, Fic or aopen. Price is also a thing ofcourse. In the mean time I have time recapping my psu and modding the mini tower, when I think about it its highly likely my ss7 will be my most powerful setup (p1 big tower, p2 midi and ss7 mini tower)

Last edited by deleted_Rc on 2017-02-11, 02:51. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 28 of 38, by deleted_Rc

User metadata

since I had no real preference between the 3 mobo's but was leaning towards the Gigabyte or Fic (just didn't want another Asus). Ended up with the Fic VA-503+ since there was one available at a decent price + shipping, it also comes with a K6-2 500 Mhz but will be on the look out for a K6-III 450 Mhz for the cache (there is no official support for the K6+ variations according to the manual and bios updates I did aquire).
the Fic should be compatible with either Voodoo 3 and the banshee iirc, can anyone confirm this?
the included ram (128 Mb) will be replaced by proper 2x 128 Mb pc-100. The Psu is about done just need to replace the cooler (its soldered, so I will just cut the wires and make a connector out of it for the proper replacement)
Case "mod" is finished, will add another smaller cooler to the PSU to get air out of the case through the PSU.
20170221_180841.jpg

Reply 29 of 38, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Here you can download a k6+ bios for that board. http://web.inter.nl.net/hcc/J.Steunebrink/k6plus.htm

Agp regulator is a bit hard to say: A lot was about the fic 2013 board and that was made around the same time by the same company. But i can't find any posts about the 503+ regarding agp problems (just warnings). I would take a v3 2000 instead of 3000 just to be safer or a banshee, the last one should not be a problem at all.

asus tx97-e, 233mmx, voodoo1, s3 virge ,sb16
asus p5a, k6-3+ @ 550mhz, voodoo2 12mb sli, gf2 gts, awe32
asus p3b-f, p3-700, voodoo3 3500TV agp, awe64
asus tusl2-c, p3-S 1,4ghz, voodoo5 5500, live!
asus a7n8x DL, barton cpu, 6800ultra, Voodoo3 pci, audigy1

Reply 30 of 38, by deleted_Rc

User metadata
meljor wrote:

Here you can download a k6+ bios for that board. http://web.inter.nl.net/hcc/J.Steunebrink/k6plus.htm

Agp regulator is a bit hard to say: A lot was about the fic 2013 board and that was made around the same time by the same company. But i can't find any posts about the 503+ regarding agp problems (just warnings). I would take a v3 2000 instead of 3000 just to be safer or a banshee, the last one should not be a problem at all.

what kind of warnings?
Fic website didn't have that bios update 😀 (nom nom)

Manual wrote:
Onboard Accelerated Graphics Port (AGP) The motherboard is installed one 32-bit AGP bus with a dedicated 66MHz/133MHz path from […]
Show full quote

Onboard Accelerated Graphics Port (AGP)
The motherboard is installed one 32-bit AGP bus with a dedicated
66MHz/133MHz path from the graphics card to the system memory (by
1x/2x mode) offering much greater bandwidth than the 32-bit PCI bus does
which currently operates at a speed of 33MHz and is fully compliant with
the AGP 1.0 specification.

Reply 31 of 38, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If you google that board regarding the use of a voodoo3 you can read some posts where people warn about the use of these faster agp cards.

But only the PA2013 board is really known to have problems. (later revisions might be fine).
Since the 503+ is basicly a baby at version from the same maker people started to warn about them too.

You really wanted a banshee, just to be safe i think you should stick to that or a low clocked version of the v3.

Steunebrink provides lots of modded bios files that support the k6-3+ and also bigger harddrives. Original support for the k6 + wasn't always there as it was a mobile cpu and was made for laptops.

Reply 32 of 38, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Another option for AGP would be to use AGP only for 2D and use V2 SLI for the 3D. TNT2 M64 and TNT Vanta are ideal for this (the Vanta doesn't even come with a heatsink).

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 33 of 38, by deleted_Rc

User metadata
meljor wrote:
If you google that board regarding the use of a voodoo3 you can read some posts where people warn about the use of these faster […]
Show full quote

If you google that board regarding the use of a voodoo3 you can read some posts where people warn about the use of these faster agp cards.

But only the PA2013 board is really known to have problems. (later revisions might be fine).
Since the 503+ is basicly a baby at version from the same maker people started to warn about them too.

You really wanted a banshee, just to be safe i think you should stick to that or a low clocked version of the v3.

Steunebrink provides lots of modded bios files that support the k6-3+ and also bigger harddrives. Original support for the k6 + wasn't always there as it was a mobile cpu and was made for laptops.

I should look into the HD max capacity, since I intend to use either a 10 GB samsung SV1021H (no bad clusters and barely makes any sound) or a 80 GB seagate which I will partition for my windows and the rest game storage. Still need to make up what windows I will be using though as I have no idea what so ever, still got windows 98SE and a windows 95OSR2 license lying around.

Tetrium wrote:

Another option for AGP would be to use AGP only for 2D and use V2 SLI for the 3D. TNT2 M64 and TNT Vanta are ideal for this (the Vanta doesn't even come with a heatsink).

that might be a possibility, however since I want to keep within a reasonable budget for this build (SS7 is expensive 😠 ). Since I already have a V2 SLI in my P2, I would rather go with a banshee or V3 2k as suggested (diversity for my starter builds). Got the banshee and hopefully a v3 2k soon aswell (nxt project could involve either of the 2 but I was thinking a Epox (P55-VP3) with either a K6 or 6x86 with the banshee).

Reply 34 of 38, by deleted_Rc

User metadata

got everything in today so I started it up, but my keyboard didn't work on it (at first I used a ps/2 adapter), so I tried 2 other keyboards before having to start searching for a DIN keyboard. Alas none worked so I got out my DIN keyboard and tested. Still not working, is anyone able to guess what the problem might be? I checked for physical damage to it but none observable, it boots just fine and goes directly to windows install screen but thats it (1. HD and 2. CD-rom).

Reply 35 of 38, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Maybe reflash the bios or do a bios reset?

You can always bypass it with an older plug and play usb 1.0 card and use an usb keyboard?

Reply 36 of 38, by deleted_Rc

User metadata
meljor wrote:

You can always bypass it with an older plug and play usb 1.0 card and use an usb keyboard?

bypassing it with a USB keyboard will ofcourse work in the boot, after that it will fail due compability with the on board. Tried this in the past more then once and always fails after the boot, had this with my Athlon when I used a adapter, it just wouldn't budge untill I was logged in windows (between first boot screen and windows logged in no keyboard movement possible)
Little update aswell, was missing my bios sounds and it seems I forgot to connect the speaker. no problems booting and no weird sounds from the mobo however whenever I plug in the keyboard in the DIN connector it starts rattling like when you are continuesly holding multiply keys at the same time (usually you speaker/sounds starts acting up). tested the keyboard on another computer but its not the keyboard causing this, it seems like the connector itself.
I'll try reflashing the bios tomorrow, if this doesn't help I am returning it (god bless ebay return policy, it was a tested motherboard he just seemed to forgot to test keyboard without notifying me).

Reply 37 of 38, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Perhaps it's time to test the PC Chips M577 VIA MVP3 motherboard? 😁

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Motherboard-P … g-/252792265579?

Just remember that you need cables, port brackets and the ATX form card I liked in my first post in this thread if you want to use USB or a PS/2 mouse.

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.
Older PC: K6-3+ 400@600MHz, PC-Chips M577, 256MB SDRAM, AWE64, Voodoo Banshee.

Reply 38 of 38, by deleted_Rc

User metadata
meljor wrote:

Got into the bios, now I know why nothing is working properly..... the bios was totaly screwed up, the person who used it never had any idea what he was doing to it. Anyway I resert the setup and system of the bios to its factory defaults and tried to restart (the USB works untill now). I shut down the computer and reconnected my DIN (in the hope), however the keyboard was not found even though it was connected (and working on other computers), the PS/2 didn't work either.
ok up next I tried flashing the bios, I also enabled virus detection in the bios just incase and guess what! Virus detected.... anyway was going to flash it anyway, which sadly wasn't possible since the USB keyboard is not recognized outside the bios and windows itself expected this but tried anyway 😀
This leaves me to conclude the whole DIN port is broken and requires a replacement 😢 or is disabled by the virus still making the Mobo useseless since the Bios chip is soldered to the board.

Skyscraper wrote:

Perhaps it's time to test the PC Chips M577 VIA MVP3 motherboard? 😁

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Motherboard-P … g-/252792265579?

Just remember that you need cables, port brackets and the ATX form card I liked in my first post in this thread if you want to use USB or a PS/2 mouse.

yeah maybe, for now I am going to stow this project in a corner and let it cool down after I returned the mobo, currently also busy with a Athlon and my main rig.