VOGONS

First post, by Kurasiu

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Recently I acquired an old Siemens Nixdorf Scenic Mobile 500 notebook, which works like a charm, but features no optical drive (floppy drive only). Figured I might pick up a PCMCIA CD-ROM someday, and had luck, as a local computer shop was selling an old CD-ROM PCMCIA drive for a great price (exactly this one)

I picked it up, ran home and whoops, turns out the it has a PC Card 5V connector, while my Scenic 500 features CardBus 3.3V slots only. Mea culpa, as I should've obviously double-checked the connector, but nevertheless - is there any kind of adapter, which will let me connect a PC Card to a CardBus slot? Or somehow connect the CD-ROM to the parallel port? The CD-ROM features a weird, 26-pin d-sub like connector, never seen one like this:

69_1182037943.jpg

Can anything be done with it?

Reply 1 of 3, by kenrouholo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

CardBus is based on PCI and PCMCIA is based on ISA. I'm not sure if you've mixed up terms in your post (people did commonly call Cardbus cards PCMCIA which always was rather annoyingly confusing), or if you've got 2 completely different generations of tech that can't work together.

I've also never seen that connector but if you want to look up info call it "HD26." D-sub connectors with 3 rows are called HD[number of pins]. (I'm not an expert on laptop hardware)

Yes, I always ramble this much.

Reply 3 of 3, by xplus93

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'd agree with lolo799. Luckily MOST (not all) manufacturers back then were aware of how quickly interfaces were changing and made sure to key cards and connectors to ensure nothing got damaged. (Last thing they want is a lawsuit) So, plug it in and give it a spin. (pun intended)

XPS 466V|486-DX2|64MB|#9 GXE 1MB|SB32 PnP
Presario 4814|PMMX-233|128MB|Trio64
XPS R450|PII-450|384MB|TNT2 Pro| TB Montego
XPS B1000r|PIII-1GHz|512MB|GF2 PRO 64MB|SB Live!
XPS Gen2|P4 EE 3.4|2GB|GF 6800 GT OC|Audigy 2