VOGONS

First post, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have posted intermittently about this project of mine here in various threads, but let me give a summary.

I bought a few weeks ago a Thinkpad 755CX laptop: pentium 75, 40MB RAM, built-in FDD but no CD (I use a docking station for it in which I installed a SCSI CD unit), and Mwave DSP/modem/sound card. The laptop works otherwise fine, but because the BIOS wasn't upgraded to the latest revision the Mwave card only works in DOS and Win3.1, not in W95/98. I tried to flash the latest BIOS, but IBM decided to make the flashing program check for a fully charged battery before it will allow you to flash. I don't have a working battery for this laptop (have 5 or 6 dead ones) so flashing the BIOS was impossible. I actually have a running thread on forum.thinkpads.com about this, tried many things suggested there none of which worked.

It comes down in the end to getting a working battery. There's no way around that.

I only need a battery that will take enough charge to be read at 100% for a few minutes while I do the flashing. I don't need one that is completely functional and allows the laptop to run off it for extended periods of time. The Thinkpad will also be connected to the AC charger during the flash, so none of the battery charge should be actually used during the process.

I have given up the thought of reviving the Li-Ion batteries I have. Once those are dead, they're dead. But there's a hope with a NiMH pack.
I looked for a long time for one of those, finally got one a few days ago. It appears to have been stored improperly for many years (it has an on/off switch which is supposed to be put in the "off" position for storage - but this pack was "on" when I received it). It wasn't dead but pretty low, reading 6V in open-circuit and down to about 4V afrer a very brief test discharge. The battery pack is nominally 8.4V, 3.5Ah.

I put the pack in both the laptop, and in an external Thinkpad quick battery charger, but none would charge the battery. I tried the freezing trick (froze the battery overnight in a ziplock bag then thawed it the next day to room temperature) but that didn't do anything.

I then resorted to try and charge it with a constant current source. I let it charge at a constant 100mA for 8h; the battery initially needed 13.6V to achieve this charging current, which after 8h decreased to 12.2V and the battery now read 8.5V in open circuit. I put it in the Thinkpad at that point, and the laptop's battery indicator was reading it as 26% charged. However the laptop would not boot off the battery alone, wouldn't even try to power up with the AC disconnected.

So I connected the battery back to the constant current source, let it have 150mA for 12h (voltage was around 13V to get that current) and now the battery reads 9.2V in open-circuit. I put it in the laptop again, but this time it won't boot at all with the battery in, regardless whether the AC is connected or not. Without the AC connected it won't power up at all (as before). With the AC connected it powers up briefly, powers down, powers up again, powers down and so on.

I'm not sure where to go from here. Does anyone here have experience reviving old NiMH laptop batteries, and if so, any tricks I could attempt? I have read about zapping the battery with a high voltage, but I'm reluctant to do that. These batteries are very rare and hard to find, not to mention expensive when you do find them.

Otherwise the only idea I have is to attempt a number of discharge/charge cycles on the battery - discharge it through a 100ohm/1W resistor down to 6V, charge it back, discharge again etc.

I would appreciate any help. I don't have any hope of getting sound working on this laptop in W9x unless I flash the BIOS, and I need a charged battery to do that.

(update) with a 100-ohm resistor connected I can only get about 50mA from the battery, because under this load the voltage decreases to 5.6V. That means the battery has a high internal resistance i.e. it's in bad shape but not hopeless. I estimate the internal resistance to 60-80ohms.

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O

Reply 1 of 6, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

So what I've done in the past is simply open the thing up and replace the cells with new ones.

I even replaced them with standard AA NIMH Eneloop rechargeables once 🤣

But I'm not sure that would work as well with yours since it has an integrated controller in the pack, whereas the one I did was a "stupid" battery.

EDIT: So you would have to get the same model cells instead of using AAs.

World's foremost 486 enjoyer.

Reply 2 of 6, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

That would be a last resort case. I'd rather not open it up and try to replace the cells if I can help it. I'm saying this having opened up a similar battery for the same model laptop but Li-ion not NiMH. The cells inside that one are connected to a very complex harness made of thin insulated nickel strips to which the cells are spot-welded. It is impossible to remove the cells without tearing the harness. And if that is torn it would be pretty much impossible to replicate with my means. Also some of the cells are spot welded directly one to the other, not to the harness. I don't know how you can spot weld cells directly to one another; I do have a spot welder and know how to use it, but welding cells directly one to the other isn't something that I can do.

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O

Reply 3 of 6, by idspispopd

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I read through your forum.thinkpads.com thread.
What exactly did you try to force the flash programs to ignore the battery? The last post in that thread is newer than your last post in this thread. It refers to http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/BIOS_Upgrade#Up … th_dead_battery which I also found. The description mentions updtrom.exe, but that file is not in the contents list you posted on the Wims BIOS forum.
If you would attach the contents of the flash floppy here I could have a look if I can patch the executable.

Reply 4 of 6, by adalbert

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ni-Mh battery packs usually don't have any electronics besides thermistor and a fuse inside, there is a chance that replacing cells in Ni-Mh pack would be easier than Li-Ion. I did post there something about replacing cells. Re: Getting a laptop battery replacement

If there is little space in battery pack, you can use smaller cells, for example AA instead of 4/3AA, or AAA instead of AA. I did this with Ni-Mh packs. Works fine, just smaller capacity.

Repair/electronic stuff videos: https://www.youtube.com/c/adalbertfix
ISA Wi-fi + USB in T3200SXC: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WX30t3lYezs
GUI programming for Windows 3.11 (the easy way): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6L272OApVg

Reply 5 of 6, by Gatewayuser200

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

You can put in Ni-MH AA cells in place of the original nimh cells with no ill effects as all Ni-MH batteries will have the same charging characteristics. Just make sure you hook the cells up right and if the battery has a temp sensor, MAKE SURE IT IS DIRECTLY TOUCHING ONE OF THE CELLS, as the charging circuitry in your laptop may use temperature to determine the end of charge.

"network down, IP packets delivered via UPS" - BOFH
“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten” – Benjamin Franklin

Reply 6 of 6, by adalbert

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Gatewayuser200 wrote:

temp sensor, MAKE SURE IT IS DIRECTLY TOUCHING ONE OF THE CELLS

I used some thermal paste to make better contact.

Repair/electronic stuff videos: https://www.youtube.com/c/adalbertfix
ISA Wi-fi + USB in T3200SXC: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WX30t3lYezs
GUI programming for Windows 3.11 (the easy way): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6L272OApVg