VOGONS

First post, by Jonnyboy161

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have three IDE hard drives that my motherboard (AX59Pro) will not detect. They are 40GB,30GB, and 60GB Hitachi Deskstar drives. I have been testing with just one HDD at a time on the IDE cable along with different master and slave jumper configurations. I have also tried 40 and 80 pin cables. I am not sure if it could be a setting the BIOS that I am missing(the IDE controllers are not disabled) or if I might need to flash the BIOS to ensure that it has the latest one. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Reply 3 of 21, by konc

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Definitely a BIOS limitation, but if it can't detect the 30GB HDD, it's not the 32GB limit so the jumper won't help 😉
See if you don't already have the latest BIOS http://www.philscomputerlab.com/aopen-ax59-pro.html
It's very common for boards of that era not to recognize these capacities.

Reply 4 of 21, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

According to http://www.dewassoc.com/kbase/hard_drives/har … ze_barriers.htm , it is rare for a motherboard to have a 32 GB (or rather 31.5 GB) barrier. This would likely be the 8 GB barrier.

Reply 6 of 21, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If there's no jumper setting, then there's nothing you can do in that regard. I would agree that looking for a BIOS update would be a good idea.

You may want to consider getting a CF-to-IDE (or SD-to-IDE) adapter.

Reply 7 of 21, by dosgamer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Easiest and simplest solution is to get a Promise Ultra100/133 PCI IDE adapter. It comes with its own BIOS and has no size limit.

Coppermine Celeron 800 @ 1.12GHz (8x140) - Asus P2B Rev. 1.12 - 256MB PC133 CL2 - Voodoo5 5500 AGP - SB AWE64 CT4520 - Roland SCC-1 - Intel Pro/1000GT - 1.44MB Floppy - ATAPI ZIP 100 - 120GB IDE - DVD-ROM - DVD-R/RW/RAM - Win98SE

Reply 8 of 21, by lazibayer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Jonnyboy161 wrote:

I have three IDE hard drives that my motherboard (AX59Pro) will not detect. They are 40GB,30GB, and 60GB Hitachi Deskstar drives. I have been testing with just one HDD at a time on the IDE cable along with different master and slave jumper configurations. I have also tried 40 and 80 pin cables. I am not sure if it could be a setting the BIOS that I am missing(the IDE controllers are not disabled) or if I might need to flash the BIOS to ensure that it has the latest one. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Silly questions...
Are these HDDs good on other motherboards?
Is the board good with other HDDs?

Reply 9 of 21, by jade_angel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Also, if you boot into Linux, BSD, Windows NT, or something else that doesn't depend on BIOS device enumeration, do the devices show up?

If not, you may have a horked ATA controller rather than a BIOS issue.

Main Box: Macbook Pro M2 Max
Alas, I'm down to emulation.

Reply 10 of 21, by Jonnyboy161

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

First I will try setting them 32GB jumper settings. If that doesn't work I will be testing them on another motherboard. If they are properly detected from that motherboard then I guess its the motherboard. I can test to see if the optical drive is recognized(I hadn't gotten that far yet). Then Maybe try to flash the BIOS.

Thanks for the help!

Reply 11 of 21, by Jonnyboy161

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So it looks like the 30GB HDD was just dead. I set one of the other drives to a 32GB jumper setting and poof I am currently installing Windows 98.

Thanks again for all the awesome help.

Reply 12 of 21, by konc

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Jonnyboy161 wrote:

So it looks like the 30GB HDD was just dead. I set one of the other drives to a 32GB jumper setting and poof I am currently installing Windows 98.

Don't throw it away yet, try it on a more modern system first. It's not necessarily dead (although certainly very possible).
Apart from the capacity limit some BIOS have weird values limits. As a silly example, it might not accept a value for cylinders > X. Imagine now having two HDDs of same capacity but with different geometry and only one getting recognized 🤣 This is rare of course and usually happens at the borders of supported capacities, but most probably you are at the borders, so give it another try just in case.

Reply 13 of 21, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Jonnyboy161 wrote:

Fantastic.

It might be worth the Hitachi drive tool to see if you can firmware limit the drive size like with Seagate drives.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 14 of 21, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Boards with the 32GB limitation are not rare ! Every board with an award bios that was created before somewhere in 1999 had this bug. And I've got many of these myself

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 15 of 21, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It's not a bug, it's a known BIOS limitation. Patches for some boards do exist.

Reply 16 of 21, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It's a BIOS limitation ... caused by a bug ^^

Apparently award bioses are fully capable of reading 128GB hdds out of the box, but in order to display the capacity at POST, it has to do a division which go wrong when the size is bigger than 32GB and locks up the computer (I've tried and for sure, if the hdd is bigger than 32GB the computer hangs)

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 17 of 21, by Jonnyboy161

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yea the BIOS would hang when detecting the IDE channel the drive was on. I will have to check on the 30GB drive some other time. I currently don't have another system built that isn't strictly SATA. I have the parts to build an AthlonXP build minus the case. But, I wouldn't have a use for that system if I built it other than to test that 30GB drive. I got Win98 installed now I am running into issues with trying to use a nVidia MX 440 AGP as my 2D card. I am going to pop in the Diamond Stealth 64 DRAM PCI card in there and give that a go.

Reply 18 of 21, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Deksor wrote:

It's a BIOS limitation ... caused by a bug ^^

Apparently award bioses are fully capable of reading 128GB hdds out of the box, but in order to display the capacity at POST, it has to do a division which go wrong when the size is bigger than 32GB and locks up the computer (I've tried and for sure, if the hdd is bigger than 32GB the computer hangs)

I'm being pedantic here, but did they intend the BIOS to work with HDD >32gb? If it wasn't a requirement, it isn't a bug.

Reply 19 of 21, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I don't know if that was intended, but looking at the behavior of this issue (just a single division that go wrong) and that when you modify it in order to fix that division it works perfectly and that the year where they fixed this problem, hdds this big were still a dream (when hdds bigger than 32GB were released ?), to me it's a bug.

I saw an old tutorial on how to fix this on bioses made for i430VX (i tried it on a bios for i440BX but unfortunately it didn't help) where they said that was a bug too. You have to fix two things. One will remove the 32gb limitation but then a 64GB limit appears but it can be fixed too. The next limit is the 128GB limit de to win9x limitations and LBA limitations. But your bios will not hang if you put let's say a 160GB hdd, it just won't be able to boot on it. But with oses such as win2k it will work perfectly fine