Bought these (retro) hardware today

Discussion about old PC hardware.

Re: Bought these (retro) hardware today

Postby Skyscraper » 2017-3-19 @ 18:14

Those who don't think PCI-E hardware is old enough to be interesting can close their eyes now! :D



I bought another somewhat expensive Socket 939 motherboard. This motherboard isn't as "iconic" as the The DFI LanPARTY CFX3200 (I got my 20 euro refund for the damaged cap btw) but it wasn't as expensive either. This is also an ATI(AMD) RD580 chipset motherboard and the features, performance and overclockability should not be very different from the DFI motherboard.

The price ended up 49 euro with shipping but there are some other nice stuff included. An Athlon X2 4800+ CPU, a nice cooler and 4x1GB DDR memory.




Asus A8R32-MVP DELUXE.



The sellers picture
Asus A8R32-MVP DELUXE 1.jpg





The sellers picture
Asus A8R32-MVP DELUXE 2.jpg
Main PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6ghz, Evga - SR-2, 48gb memory, Intel X25-M g2 SSD and a Nvidia GTX 780 Ti.
Retro PC #3: K6-2 450@500mhz, PC-Chips m577, 256mb sdram, AWE64 and a Voodoo Banshee.
Skyscraper
l33t
 
Posts: 3101
Joined: 2013-9-18 @ 15:36
Location: Sweden

Re: Bought these (retro) hardware today

Postby cyclone3d » 2017-3-19 @ 19:18

Ok, so have a few more things on the way for my project.

1. Midiman Mini Macman - 1x1 serial midi for MAC. Going to see if it will work on a PC with SOFTMPU. Just have to make or get a MAC to PC serial cable.

2. Atlona AT-HD500 PC/VGA to HDMI Scaler - to scale DOS resolutions so I can capture in resolutions that my capture card supports.

3. MachOne (Opti935) PCI sound card - cause it was cheap and I want as many sound cards as I can get that work in DOS for my upcoming project.

Edit:

Have a mini din8 to db25 cable on the way now :cool:
cyclone3d
Member
 
Posts: 244
Joined: 2015-4-08 @ 06:06
Location: Huntsville, AL USA

Re: Bought these (retro) hardware today

Postby 386DX40 » 2017-3-20 @ 04:22

FesterBlatz wrote:I've considered selling it on eBay but the fear of it being destroyed for gold discourages me from doing so. I pulled this from a working Gateway 2000 at work YEARS ago when we were scrapping old PCs by the dozens...long before the current "retro" phase kicked in. I regret tossing so many now rare machines including what today would be considered beautiful Gateway Pentium PRO workstations. Back then, anything in a white case and connected to a CRT meant it was junk...

Who knows, maybe I'll stumble on a suitable motherboard for it someday.


Heres your motherboard, cheap!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/232266835142?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT

This is a Dell branded Intel 'Batman' Socket 4 motherboard. I believe this is before Dell went with proprietary power supplies, so a standard AT should work fine. Cheers!
User avatar
386DX40
Newbie
 
Posts: 43
Joined: 2009-4-25 @ 03:17

Re: Bought these (retro) hardware today

Postby Skyscraper » 2017-3-20 @ 06:55

386DX40 wrote:
FesterBlatz wrote:I've considered selling it on eBay but the fear of it being destroyed for gold discourages me from doing so. I pulled this from a working Gateway 2000 at work YEARS ago when we were scrapping old PCs by the dozens...long before the current "retro" phase kicked in. I regret tossing so many now rare machines including what today would be considered beautiful Gateway Pentium PRO workstations. Back then, anything in a white case and connected to a CRT meant it was junk...

Who knows, maybe I'll stumble on a suitable motherboard for it someday.


Heres your motherboard, cheap!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/232266835142?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT

This is a Dell branded Intel 'Batman' Socket 4 motherboard. I believe this is before Dell went with proprietary power supplies, so a standard AT should work fine. Cheers!




Hmmm I need one of those! :)



As they are cheap with free shipping (USA) buy both and ship one to me! I lost a "Batman" auction here in Europe yesterday so I already have the money allocated.
Main PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6ghz, Evga - SR-2, 48gb memory, Intel X25-M g2 SSD and a Nvidia GTX 780 Ti.
Retro PC #3: K6-2 450@500mhz, PC-Chips m577, 256mb sdram, AWE64 and a Voodoo Banshee.
Skyscraper
l33t
 
Posts: 3101
Joined: 2013-9-18 @ 15:36
Location: Sweden

Re: Bought these (retro) hardware today

Postby keropi » 2017-3-20 @ 08:10

a complete 286/16 setup with mono VGA monitor LOL

Image
User avatar
keropi
l33t++
 
Posts: 5232
Joined: 2003-9-08 @ 06:45
Location: Greece

Re: Bought these (retro) hardware today

Postby Skyscraper » 2017-3-20 @ 08:37

Skyscraper wrote:
386DX40 wrote:
FesterBlatz wrote:I've considered selling it on eBay but the fear of it being destroyed for gold discourages me from doing so. I pulled this from a working Gateway 2000 at work YEARS ago when we were scrapping old PCs by the dozens...long before the current "retro" phase kicked in. I regret tossing so many now rare machines including what today would be considered beautiful Gateway Pentium PRO workstations. Back then, anything in a white case and connected to a CRT meant it was junk...

Who knows, maybe I'll stumble on a suitable motherboard for it someday.


Heres your motherboard, cheap!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/232266835142?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT

This is a Dell branded Intel 'Batman' Socket 4 motherboard. I believe this is before Dell went with proprietary power supplies, so a standard AT should work fine. Cheers!








Hmmm I need one of those! :)



As they are cheap with free shipping (USA) buy both and ship one to me! I lost a "Batman" auction here in Europe yesterday so I already have the money allocated.



Someone bought the second to last motherboard and I wanted one badly so I bought the last one.

It seems I now live at 2220 Meridian Blvd in Nevada. :lol:
Main PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6ghz, Evga - SR-2, 48gb memory, Intel X25-M g2 SSD and a Nvidia GTX 780 Ti.
Retro PC #3: K6-2 450@500mhz, PC-Chips m577, 256mb sdram, AWE64 and a Voodoo Banshee.
Skyscraper
l33t
 
Posts: 3101
Joined: 2013-9-18 @ 15:36
Location: Sweden

Re: Bought these (retro) hardware today

Postby dexvx » 2017-3-20 @ 09:40

I received a Diamond Monster Fusion (Banshee) today.

Card works fine, but the fan doesn't turn on (the lubricant likely dried, as it is hard to turn).
dexvx
Member
 
Posts: 195
Joined: 2017-3-07 @ 03:32
Location: USA

Re: Bought these (retro) hardware today

Postby GL1zdA » 2017-3-20 @ 12:24

dexvx wrote:I received a Diamond Monster Fusion (Banshee) today.

Card works fine, but the fan doesn't turn on (the lubricant likely dried, as it is hard to turn).

Maybe it looks like: Pentium III Fan Corrosion - I was never able to explain this phenomenon.
User avatar
GL1zdA
Oldbie
 
Posts: 705
Joined: 2008-2-29 @ 10:41
Location: Warsaw, PL

Re: Bought these (retro) hardware today

Postby cyclone3d » 2017-3-20 @ 14:33

Well, I now have a Diamond Monster Voodoo 1 4MB card on the way.

Nobody else bid on it so I got it for $5.00 + shipping.

Wasn't listed as a 3dfx card.

Not sure what I am going to use it for.. probably save it for another retro machine as I already have the V5-5500 that I bought new back in the day as well as a Voodoo Banshee that I don't have a clue where I got.
cyclone3d
Member
 
Posts: 244
Joined: 2015-4-08 @ 06:06
Location: Huntsville, AL USA

Re: Bought these (retro) hardware today

Postby LHN91 » 2017-3-20 @ 18:07

Almost could call this a dumpster dive - paid 10 bucks for the husk of a computer from the place I found near work - the case is near damaged and I likely won't keep it, but inside is an AOpen board with 2 ISA slots, a slot-style CPU (I think it's a PII or PIII) and the thing I really wanted.... an ISA SoundBlaster AWE64 (Value, I think)

No idea if it works yet, but fingers crossed :)
LHN91
Newbie
 
Posts: 44
Joined: 2015-11-24 @ 15:54

Re: Bought these (retro) hardware today

Postby brostenen » 2017-3-20 @ 18:29

cyclone3d wrote:Well, I now have a Diamond Monster Voodoo 1 4MB card on the way.

Nobody else bid on it so I got it for $5.00 + shipping.

Wasn't listed as a 3dfx card.

Not sure what I am going to use it for.. probably save it for another retro machine as I already have the V5-5500 that I bought new back in the day as well as a Voodoo Banshee that I don't have a clue where I got.


If it works, then it will fit nicely in a P-133/166 machine.
Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick I tell.... (never tried though)

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011
User avatar
brostenen
l33t
 
Posts: 3747
Joined: 2014-5-07 @ 21:13
Location: Northern Jutland, Denmark.

Re: Bought these (retro) hardware today

Postby brostenen » 2017-3-20 @ 18:35

Sold hardware, bought hardware. I have this heading my way.

vlb-dual-controller.jpg
Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick I tell.... (never tried though)

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011
User avatar
brostenen
l33t
 
Posts: 3747
Joined: 2014-5-07 @ 21:13
Location: Northern Jutland, Denmark.

Re: Bought these (retro) hardware today

Postby cyclone3d » 2017-3-20 @ 19:21

Found somebody selling an Awe64 Value CT4520 with the CT1950 24MB upgrade card and a Yamaha SW60XG. No, I didn't pay a crazy price either.

I wonder how an Awe64 Gold! with the 24MB card will compare to a CT3670 (SB 32 with AWE64 chipset) with 28MB.

:-D

Edit:

Got shipping confirmation.

And the glorious seller's pics.

ImageAWE64

ImageSW60XG
Last edited by cyclone3d on 2017-3-21 @ 07:14, edited 2 times in total.
cyclone3d
Member
 
Posts: 244
Joined: 2015-4-08 @ 06:06
Location: Huntsville, AL USA

Re: Bought these (retro) hardware today

Postby carlostex » 2017-3-20 @ 21:25

keropi wrote:a complete 286/16 setup with mono VGA monitor LOL

Image


That looks great Keropi!!
User avatar
carlostex
Oldbie
 
Posts: 1916
Joined: 2010-4-03 @ 21:39
Location: Portugal

Re: Bought these (retro) hardware today

Postby chose007 » 2017-3-20 @ 21:33

Graphics madness part 26

Orchid Tseng 4000

Image

Hercules Kyro I

Image

CL Laguna 3D

Image

Appian 2x CL

Image

Image

Gainward FX5600

Image

7900GTX Duo

Image

Creative (MSI) Ti4400

Image

Abit OTES FX5900XT
piece of art :-D

Image

Image

Image
chose007
Newbie
 
Posts: 68
Joined: 2016-2-27 @ 14:02

Re: Bought these (retro) hardware today

Postby dexvx » 2017-3-20 @ 21:48

cyclone3d wrote:Well, I now have a Diamond Monster Voodoo 1 4MB card on the way.

Nobody else bid on it so I got it for $5.00 + shipping.

Wasn't listed as a 3dfx card.

Not sure what I am going to use it for.. probably save it for another retro machine as I already have the V5-5500 that I bought new back in the day as well as a Voodoo Banshee that I don't have a clue where I got.


I think I see that auction on eBay. Seller didn't tag it as either 3dfx or voodoo, but it was listed "as-is"/"for parts or not working"?

I was up late last night and found/bought a Diamond MX300, for a reasonable price, shipping included.
dexvx
Member
 
Posts: 195
Joined: 2017-3-07 @ 03:32
Location: USA

Re: Bought these (retro) hardware today

Postby melbar » 2017-3-20 @ 22:04

chose007 wrote:Abit OTES FX5900XT
piece of art :-D

Really art :lol: .... Really very nice aluminum heatsink :cool:
User avatar
melbar
Member
 
Posts: 267
Joined: 2016-1-31 @ 13:38

Re: Bought these (retro) hardware today

Postby cyclone3d » 2017-3-20 @ 23:17

dexvx wrote:
cyclone3d wrote:Well, I now have a Diamond Monster Voodoo 1 4MB card on the way.

Nobody else bid on it so I got it for $5.00 + shipping.

Wasn't listed as a 3dfx card.

Not sure what I am going to use it for.. probably save it for another retro machine as I already have the V5-5500 that I bought new back in the day as well as a Voodoo Banshee that I don't have a clue where I got.


I think I see that auction on eBay. Seller didn't tag it as either 3dfx or voodoo, but it was listed "as-is"/"for parts or not working"?

I was up late last night and found/bought a Diamond MX300, for a reasonable price, shipping included.


Nope, listed as used. The disclaimer down below said if an item was listed "AS-IS" that there were no returns or refunds.
cyclone3d
Member
 
Posts: 244
Joined: 2015-4-08 @ 06:06
Location: Huntsville, AL USA

Re: Bought these (retro) hardware today

Postby jheronimus » 2017-3-21 @ 01:42

Got two AMD K6-2+ 450ACZ and a Cyrix 6x86MX PR200 along with two 3COM PCI NICs — all for free:

2017-03-21 04.23.39.jpg


Now this here is very typical for me. I've found these literally the next day after I've ordered a 3+ 400ATZ from eBay for 35 USD (including shipping). Prior to that I've only seen these chips sold in my town for pretty much the same price. Oh, well. Spare parts are always nice and I'll have something to test my Lucky Star 5MVP3 with.
Last edited by jheronimus on 2017-3-21 @ 09:11, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
jheronimus
Member
 
Posts: 464
Joined: 2015-12-10 @ 00:09
Location: Moscow

Re: Bought these (retro) hardware today

Postby appiah4 » 2017-3-21 @ 07:47

chose007 wrote:Graphics madness part 26

...


Glorious haul (aside from the GeForce FX abomination..) but be careful with the orchid, one of the labeled chips seem to be partially out of socket, make sure to push that into place before trying it and potentially causing damage.
1987:A500|8MB|ACA500+@42Mhz|C1084S
1993:UMC486-33|8MB|TVGA900B|ES688FC
1997:P166MMX|64MB|Mystique220|Voodoo2|SBAWE64PnP
1999:PIII450|256MB|Voodoo3|SBLive!
2001:C1300|512MB|Radeon8500|SBLive!5.1
appiah4
Member
 
Posts: 357
Joined: 2017-2-19 @ 07:36

PreviousNext

Return to General Old Hardware

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: cyclone3d, Eleanor1967, hard1k, kithylin, Richo, sirlemonhead, Skyscraper, Van Slanzar de Fanel and 20 guests