VOGONS

First post, by kittydeathstrike

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I been acquiring bits and pieces of hardware over the past few months.My goal is to build me a retro xp gaming pc.The problem im running into is crazy as all hell. Iv'e never encountered this in my 16 years of building computers .Everything boots up fine,i can get into bios check temps play with options and save.The major issue is this tho.When i try to install windows the dvd rom drive boots up but then the power shuts off .I tried 3 different power supplies so its not the problem with PSU. I tried 3 different DVD drives and thats not it. 2 of the drives were IDE. I then tried to just boot up a linux tools cd and soon as it starts to boot up again the computer shuts off.When i say shut off i mean complete power like a switch was flipped.Temps are good idle at 50c. I tried 4 different kinds of hard drives 2 ide and 2 sata.One had a old version of xp on it.Normally windows will detect that its not the correct drivers and restart but not power off.The system is as follows
Pentium 4 prescott 3.2 ghz(new)
Soyo Dragon 2 PI475 (used)
Sapphire 1600xt AGP 8X (new) and Geforce 3 ti 200(used)
Ram 2 gbs of corsair DDR 3200 3.3.3.8 1gbx2(used)
PSU Thermaltake TR 430(NEW),XFX 750 Bronze(use) and a Cooler Master 500w (used)

Been on for like 3 hours straight but only in the bios screen.Soon i try to load up some kind of program it powers off like a light switch.

Last edited by kittydeathstrike on 2017-04-03, 08:03. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 2 of 6, by deleted_Rc

User metadata

voltage problems on the mobo? switch out the mobo to see if that works. CPU heat sensor might be broken.
Caps might show fine but testing/replacing them might be a better choice. Do note you may be able to test some caps just fine but others give straight errors even though they might be fine and must be removed to do so.

Reply 3 of 6, by kittydeathstrike

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

First of all thanks for the input,I slapped in a different CPU today.I put in a P4 2.4 mhz Northwood .Same thing occurs.I left the machine on all night and morning.When i got into the room the machine was still on and still reading at 50c .Its not a heat issue unless im missing something. Ill state again when i been fooling around with.
Pentium 4 3.2ghz Prescott 800mhz FSB (New) and Now P4 2.4 ghz 500mhz FSB Northwood (new)
Soyo p41875p dragon 2(used)
Sapphire 1600xt 512mb AGP 8(New) and Geforce 3 ti 200(used)
Thermaltake TR 430 430 watt PSU (NEW) Coolermaster 500watt (new) XFX 750 watt(used) old school Tiger Pro (shit) 350w(used and Codgen 350w (used)
Stock heat sinks clipped and running fine.
Corsair 1gbx2 DDR 3200 3.3.3.8
OCZ 512mb x 2 DDR 3200 3.3.3.8
The computer was left on over night.I again tried to boot up into windox xp and the setup again powers off.
I tried to boot into a linux live and again the computer powers off.
I tried to boot into a HD with windows on it and again the computer powers off
I tried mulitple DVD drives both ide and sata and its the same.
I tried to run the built memory test on windows 7 option just to see if i can get into the repair windows and soon as i select it , It powers off.
Its like detecting somthing and then bam power off.
Why would it act like this? Where it can be on all night and then poof powers off when it try to run some type of program?

Reply 4 of 6, by RetroBoogie

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I see you created a new thread. I posted there that I suspect some kind of power or fan monitoring turned on. Could also be a bad cap, like Richo pointed out. When a load is introduced the event is triggered due to unregulated voltage drop or something that messes a sensor up. Just a theory. Try going into the PC Health section and turning all monitoring off for a start.

Reply 5 of 6, by kittydeathstrike

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I figured it out and here are the steps in case anyone else runs into the same problems:
Step by Step
1.) Opened up a case of Modelo Beer!(optional)
2.) Opened up a bag of Pork Rinds(optional)
3) Read the advice that was given to me.
4.) Went into the restroom to think about the advice given to me
5.) 20 mins later came out and looked into the PC Health Status menu and there is no option to change anything in it
6.) Noticed that the CPU was being run at 1.55v by default.....?
7.) scaled back to 1.5 and then 1.45 ,1.45 ended up being the sweet spot and is running fine now:)
8:) finish this awesome accomplishment with an Al Bundy Chuck Berry air guitar dance(optional)!