VOGONS

Socket 370 troubles

Topic actions

First post, by ElDavo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So I've got a socket 370 motherboard and I put a pentium 3 coppermine 800mhz processor in it and......nothing. No beeps, no video nothing. after trying different video cards
and different ram, also running a D-sub from the motherboards onboard graphics I still got nothing. I read the manual and apparently this motherboard will only accept fc-pga chips and not ppga.

how can I identify an fc-pga processor? been trying to figure this out for ages and now my brain hurts. 😢

Beige Avenger: Windows 98 P3 600MHZ Voodoo 3 3000 128MB SDR
Untitled: Windows XP E8200 3.2GHZ Nvidia Geforce 9800 GTX+ 4GB DDR2
Charlene Charlene Meredith Workgroup: Windows 10 i5 6600k 4.8ghz GTX1070 16GB DDR4

Reply 1 of 2, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This is why doing some research always helps especially if the board is from a well known brand as some early 370 boards only support the older Celerons due to the vrm spec and bios not supporting coppermine.

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 2 of 2, by Koltoroc

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
ElDavo wrote:

So I've got a socket 370 motherboard and I put a pentium 3 coppermine 800mhz processor in it and......nothing. No beeps, no video nothing. after trying different video cards
and different ram, also running a D-sub from the motherboards onboard graphics I still got nothing. I read the manual and apparently this motherboard will only accept fc-pga chips and not ppga.

how can I identify an fc-pga processor? been trying to figure this out for ages and now my brain hurts. 😢

If it is a Pentium III it is FC-PGA. the PPGA CPUs were a short lived budget platform and consisted only of a bunch of Celerons (up to 533Mhz). That was annoying because getting one of those PPGA systems left you without any upgrade path. I still have one of those somewhere.