VOGONS

Is this an EGA card?

Topic actions

First post, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

When I first saw the picture, my first thought that must be an EGA card, but later I started to doubt myself. I don't even know if you can recognize if something is an EGA card just based on the connectors and dip switches at the back of the computer.

card.jpg

It has the dip switches and 9 pin connector. I think that is why I thought it might an EGA.

Reply 1 of 7, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

These two RCA connectors were typical for EGA cards.
I don't know what these were useful, though. Perhaps they weren't even functional ?
All in all, I *think* it is EGA, too (CGA only had up to one RCA, while Hercules often had one parallel port).
But I'm not 100% sure.. The 9pin connector was also used on early VGA cards, I believe.
https://allpinouts.org/pinouts/connectors/com … ideo/vga-9-pin/

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 2 of 7, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Those RCA might be for a monochrome monitor?

Reply 3 of 7, by keenerb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

that's almost certainly an EGA card...

Reply 4 of 7, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Thanks. I bought the whole computer cheap and might get it late next week. I look forward to opening it for the first time and finding out what is inside.

Reply 5 of 7, by keenerb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You should be able to use a CGA monitor with an EGA card; all the 320x200 16-color modes will work but you won't be able to use the high-res ones.

Reply 6 of 7, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Last edited by derSammler on 2020-06-11, 09:29. Edited 1 time in total.