VOGONS

First post, by gbeirn

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I did some research on other threads here but I need someone to explain this to me like i am 5 years old. I bought 4 sounds cards advertised as Creative sound blaster AWE64. Model CT4520

I recieved two of each of the sounds cards pictured here. What exactly are the differences?

pNq1rff.jpg

Reply 1 of 12, by jheronimus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The upper one lacks a connector for a proprietary RAM expansion module. The RAM is used to store alternative samples for MIDI playback. Not sure what the missing chips are for.

MR BIOS catalog
Unicore catalog

Reply 2 of 12, by gbeirn

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks, the missing IC next to the ram expansion is a emu8011 chip. My goal was 4 identical cards to go in 4 different retro machines. I don't nessecarily care about the best sound or performance. I wanted to simplify the drivers I need to keep around. Systems will range from 486 to K7 and DOS to Windows 2000. If they aren't missing any real important features and use the same driver set I'll keep them.

Reply 4 of 12, by gbeirn

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
derSammler wrote:

It actually lacks the RAM, the connector for a RAM expansion, and the ROM! That is, no hardware wavetable at all on the second one.

Thanks derSammler, now what does that mean in practical terms? Sound cards were never really my thing so....would that be replicated in software or I lose that functionality?

Reply 5 of 12, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
gbeirn wrote:
derSammler wrote:

It actually lacks the RAM, the connector for a RAM expansion, and the ROM! That is, no hardware wavetable at all on the second one.

Thanks derSammler, now what does that mean in practical terms? Sound cards were never really my thing so....would that be replicated in software or I lose that functionality?

Wasn't that one of those budget OEM AWE64s? Someone asked a similar question about such a Sound Blaster not too long ago.
The contacts look a bit dirty, you might want to clean it or at least inspect it in case it's some kind of corrosion (can't tell from the pic and a bit of cleaning up is usually a good idea anyway).

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 7 of 12, by SRQ

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

That's... really odd. Why would anyone ship an AWE64 with the AWE removed? Why not just use a vibra... and it has the same CT number.
Did someone /remove/ those parts?

E: I've never seen a AWE64 CT4520 that's neutered

Reply 8 of 12, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I would definitely ask for a partial refund for those as the neutered cards are pretty much worthless IMO.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 9 of 12, by CkRtech

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
SRQ wrote:

That's... really odd. Why would anyone ship an AWE64 with the AWE removed? Why not just use a vibra... and it has the same CT number.

"Make a cheaper/budget sound card" - or - "We've got x1000 of these parts but no more AWE chips and production is ending in favor of <blah blah>." - or - "Joe OEM wants a more cost effective version of a sound card."

1: Load PCB design. Remove "AWE64" silkscreen
2: Same assembly line. Fewer parts. New sound card.

"Hey man. You forgot to change the model number on the PCB."
"...Who cares?"
"Yeah. Who cares."

Displaced Gamers (YouTube) - DOS Gaming Aspect Ratio - 320x200 || The History of 240p || Dithering on the Sega Genesis with Composite Video

Reply 10 of 12, by dr.sbaitso

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Probably actually a SB16 WavEffects. I think those were silk-screened with the CT4520 model number, but are referenced as CT4525 in their literature (http://support.creative.com/kb/ShowArticle.aspx?sid=10846)

Reply 12 of 12, by gbeirn

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
SRQ wrote:

E: I've never seen a AWE64 CT4520 that's neutered

Thanks for this, that explains a bit.