VOGONS

First post, by shiozaki

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

for a p3 1.4 system, the isa ct1920 i have needs -5v, these are recognizable brands, are in my price range and seem to have the correct specs.

s-l1600.jpg
Filename
s-l1600.jpg
File size
96.66 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
s-l16001.jpg
Filename
s-l16001.jpg
File size
198.98 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 2 of 15, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

enermax hands down despite the Chinese rot caps some of these units had gotten, thermaltake has made some real fire hazards when it came to their power supplies in the past and one can always tell by just picking up the unit in hand feeling how light it is. For mid to low load systems the thermaltake is fine but the enermax is just a tank.

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 3 of 15, by shiozaki

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
nforce4max wrote:

enermax hands down despite the Chinese rot caps some of these units had gotten, thermaltake has made some real fire hazards when it came to their power supplies in the past and one can always tell by just picking up the unit in hand feeling how light it is. For mid to low load systems the thermaltake is fine but the enermax is just a tank.

im really hoping for something that dosent need rebuilt cap wise...

i actually found a review for the TT psu, and while it wasn't great for systems that needed a good 12v rail, for older p3 stuff it seems good, with adequate overload protection.

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/thermaltake-pu … -supply-review/

Reply 4 of 15, by deleted_Rc

User metadata
shiozaki wrote:
im really hoping for something that dosent need rebuilt cap wise... […]
Show full quote
nforce4max wrote:

i actually found a review for the TT psu, and while it wasn't great for systems that needed a good 12v rail, for older p3 stuff it seems good, with adequate overload protection.

most old PSU require new caps... hell I picked up a Antec true 330P and its filled up with rotten fuihyyu's, I expected more from Antec.

Reply 5 of 15, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
shiozaki wrote:
Show full quote
nforce4max wrote:

Wrong hobby if you are unwilling to accept that at some point you will have to deal with bad caps as a lot of older hardware will eventually have issue especially from the late 90s and much of the 2000s.

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 6 of 15, by Ampera

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I actually bought a brand new AT supply for my 486. They still sell them on Newegg, and for fairly decent prices too. Head there for AT and even ATX PSUs. They are all largely backwards compatible

Reply 7 of 15, by MrEWhite

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Ampera wrote:

I actually bought a brand new AT supply for my 486. They still sell them on Newegg, and for fairly decent prices too. Head there for AT and even ATX PSUs. They are all largely backwards compatible

Got a few links?

Reply 9 of 15, by shiozaki

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
nforce4max wrote:
shiozaki wrote:
Show full quote
nforce4max wrote:

Wrong hobby if you are unwilling to accept that at some point you will have to deal with bad caps as a lot of older hardware will eventually have issue especially from the late 90s and much of the 2000s.

fair enough, so the enermax with new caps is the winner?

Reply 11 of 15, by Ampera

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The winner is a new power supply. There is 0 reason to use an old PSU, because bad caps are one thing, but PSUs have a tendency to fail spectacularly, killing multiple parts as they die. Use a new PSU. They still sell AT and 20+4 PSUs with Molex. That's enough for everything from the original IBM PC to today.

Reply 12 of 15, by CkRtech

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I don't think one should assume that a new power supply is better. You can recap an old power supply that was built well (with proper protection) and it will continue to function. A new power supply still has the potential to be absolutely terrible. The only way to know is to pop the hood and take a look inside once you get it.

It isn't old vs new. It is well-built vs. not.

Displaced Gamers (YouTube) - DOS Gaming Aspect Ratio - 320x200 || The History of 240p || Dithering on the Sega Genesis with Composite Video

Reply 14 of 15, by shiozaki

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Ampera wrote:

The winner is a new power supply. There is 0 reason to use an old PSU, because bad caps are one thing, but PSUs have a tendency to fail spectacularly, killing multiple parts as they die. Use a new PSU. They still sell AT and 20+4 PSUs with Molex. That's enough for everything from the original IBM PC to today.

you gunna tell me how iam geting strong 5v,3.3v rails and -5v on a new psu?

Reply 15 of 15, by deleted_Rc

User metadata
shiozaki wrote:
Ampera wrote:

you gunna tell me how iam geting strong 5v,3.3v rails and -5v on a new psu?

its possible with a converter for the -5 and -12 rail if required, also depends on how much wattage you are willing to buy (my old corsair had 34 A at the 5V rail, on the otherside it had 850W)