VOGONS

Reply 20 of 27, by Beegle

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So just to recap - the sound card works fine, but it's the joystick connector that is dead?
Or by the time you tested it in Wolf3d and now, the card stopped working?

The more sound cards, the better.
AdLib documentary : Official Thread
Youtube Channel : The Sound Card Database

Reply 22 of 27, by brassicGamer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Ozzuneoj wrote:

Dumb suggestion, but do you have the means to check that the volume pot is working? Those things have always looked quite prone to damage.

As simple as the card is, I'd be inclined to think that it's a fairly simple fix.

Does it just not output sound or are there other indicators that it is dead?

Not detected by any software, when it was previously detected.

Check out my blog and YouTube channel for thoughts, articles, system profiles, and tips.

Reply 23 of 27, by brassicGamer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Beegle wrote:

So just to recap - the sound card works fine, but it's the joystick connector that is dead?
Or by the time you tested it in Wolf3d and now, the card stopped working?

Nope. Card was working fine and was detected by software. I never established whether the game port worked or not - it's incidental that this was the reason I plugged it back in. I think I've messed up a trace to the big cap by spending too long on it with the soldering iron so I may need to do some scraping.

Check out my blog and YouTube channel for thoughts, articles, system profiles, and tips.

Reply 25 of 27, by brassicGamer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
sirlemonhead wrote:

Hey,

Sorry for the bump, just curious if you got this working in the end?

I've not had time unfortunately. I'm moving house and everything is packed away. I haven't given up on it though, and would still like to clone this clone!

Reply 26 of 27, by gca

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Looks identical to the card installed in my Amstrad PC4386SX. Though these days that card is about the only part of the machine I can say is still 100% functional (the FDD is shot and 100% proprietary and the HDD sounds like its being operated by an internal stone mason (again, proprietary due to weird as hell power connector)). Still, nice to see someone taking the time to restore something Amstrad.

Reply 27 of 27, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I've recently seen this video and it may interest you : https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=S9q3s4mB5PM

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative