VOGONS

First post, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I am kinda interested to grab a cpu upgrade for my 286/16 pc like the "Kingston SX now!" or similar.
I think these upgrades are really cool 🤣 but before I get one I'd like to know if they will work on a normal non-oem 286 motherboard. Anyone tried one in a non-IBM pc? Maybe one has another recommendation to buy?

Any info on that will be appreciated, thanks! 😊

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 2 of 56, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

In my experience, proprietary 386SX upgrade modules will usually work on standard 286 boards IF you can get them to fit in the CPU sockets without obstructing the ISA slots or something else. Some of them can be quite bulky. I have run two Buffalo 286 to 486DLC adapters in my original 5170 AT motherboard. They were designed for Japanese PC98 systems, but they seem to work fine.

Whatever you do, make sure your upgrade has some cache (they usually do), as that seems to have a bigger overall affect on performance than a very fast CPU.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 3 of 56, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

thanks for the info Anonymous Coward - it goes without saying that cache is the most important thing on these upgrades , I had a 486slc2 upgrade for a 386sx cpu once, it was the measly 1kb of cache that provided the speed boost.
I have looked at the kingston upgrades - sadly they conflict with the ram slots on my mobo:

hoA9ENJl.jpg

I will have to check if the PLCC socket is smd or hole-thru. If it's thru-hole I can elevate it or something... 😁 we'll see

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 4 of 56, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'll look again at the ones I have. I should be able to determine if at least one has the POSSIBILITY of fitting.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 5 of 56, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Without modification, the small modules based on the TI486SXLC2 are probably your best bet. I think Evergreen made one, and possibly there was a version from Improve It Technologies (Make it 486), which seems to be pretty rare.

Reply 6 of 56, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I will have to take apart the machine and see what kind of PLCC socket it has. If it's hole-thru it's easy to elevate it, I will update with some pics in next couple of days.
Thanks for the interest/help mates 😀

Reply 7 of 56, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

@keropi

took some pics for you (and others) http://imgur.com/a/M5YzG

The best candidate I have is the large upgrade from kingston. SX/33LFM

but it might be too big. It is 80mm x 105mm. The cpu is located ~15mm from the edge (top of the picture) and ~22mm from the left edge and is 25mm square. You will need ~55mm between the cpu socket and the isa header, in that picture you posted.

I also posed a picture of the damage I described. The board is ok, but the connector needs to be heat-gunned off, and repaired/replaced. There are other with bent pins and missing caps, but those are also easy fixes.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 8 of 56, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Interesting photos, I will make some measurements but I think something like that will fit... actually I will make a paper cutout and see if it fits 😀

Thanks for the info luckybob, appreciated!

Reply 9 of 56, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Using advanced 3d printing technology I determined there is space of an upgrade like the SX/33LFM provided two things happen:
a. I raise the cpu plcc socket so the board goes above the ram
b. I notch some unused pcb in the isa riser bottom right corner

1hR3UnBl.jpg

Both are no problems and I have verified the motherboard's plcc socket is indeed a hole-thru one.
So there is hope after all 😁

Reply 10 of 56, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Cool! :) I never had one of them. May I ask if there are any floppies included/required ?
As far as I know, older 286 BIOSes didn't emulate LOADALL yet because it was actually supported by the 286.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 11 of 56, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

"hacked" one of the kingston upgrades to a test 286 mobo:

3dsCNWEl.jpg

z1TvLtfl.jpg

Hw0FG8ll.jpg

It's working well, if cache is not enabled SysInfo gives a score of 6.2
Because it has those 16kb of cache the speed boost is real, wolf3d is way better, jazz jackrabbit almost has perfect scrolling, alone in the dark is snappy 😀
I will transplant it to my main 286 setup soon.

Reply 13 of 56, by GuillermoXT

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

My 286 has 8MHz and no oscillator onboard. Its only switchable to 6mhz directly in the bios settings.
Would an 386 or 486 upgrade increase something like doubling the clock for example?

My Retrosystems:
PIII on GA-6BA running Win98SE
AMD K6 233 on GA-586HX with Win95
Tandon 286-8MHZ Running DOS 6.22 on XTIDE-CF
M326 486DLC + 4c87dlc (Dos+Win3.11)
ECS UM4980 AMD DX2 80 5V (Dos & Win3.11)

Reply 14 of 56, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Even with an 8MHz bus, you should still see a pretty substantial improvement with a 386 or 486 CPU upgrade provided that it has some cache.
Almost all of the upgrades have clock doubling. I have upgrades that allow for higher multipliers (up to 8x), but I'm not totally convinced there is much of a real world speed boost.
I still recommend TI 486SXL(C) as an upgrade product (8kb internal cache). The IBM SLC2 upgrades can be a lot harder to get working properly, especially if you have exotic hardware installed.

Reply 15 of 56, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I wouldn't personally touch 386sxs at all. For 16-bit operations they need to do twice the work. A 386SX20 is about the same as a 286/10 in that regard.

Last edited by Caluser2000 on 2021-07-12, 01:50. Edited 1 time in total.

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 16 of 56, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

*286/16

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 17 of 56, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Jo22 wrote on 2021-07-08, 01:14:

*286/16

Your keyboard appears to be broken dude...😉

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 18 of 56, by GuillermoXT

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The bigger question would be how and where I can get such an upgrade. It seems impossible right now to find something like that or has someone left for me?

My Retrosystems:
PIII on GA-6BA running Win98SE
AMD K6 233 on GA-586HX with Win95
Tandon 286-8MHZ Running DOS 6.22 on XTIDE-CF
M326 486DLC + 4c87dlc (Dos+Win3.11)
ECS UM4980 AMD DX2 80 5V (Dos & Win3.11)

Reply 19 of 56, by Socket3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Caluser2000 wrote on 2021-07-08, 00:57:

I wouldn't personally touch 386s at all. For 16-bit operations they need to do twice the work. A 386SX20 is about the same as a 286/10 in that regard.

CPU Galaxy made a video about the 286 -> 386 upgrades. At the same clock speed, the 386 is slower when no cache is involved. If the upgrade board comes with cache then you will see a significant performance boost - especially since these higher end upgrade boards with cache come with 25 or 33MHz processors.

Personally I'd be more happy running a 25MHz 286 (I already have a decent 386 build based on a VLB motherboard and a TI 486DLC chip) but none of my boards will run stable at that clock speed. Best I could do is 20MHz using a 25MHz Harris CPU and a 40MHz oscillator.