VOGONS

Reply 40 of 49, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED
Jade Falcon wrote:

Well this sucks. I got the cpu the other day and the pins were all bent up from poor shipping.
I told the seller and he gave me a full refund and did not want the cpu back. I'll try and fix the bent pins, but there are a few that will likely brake. They are bent at 90 degrees 😵 and there is about 10-15 bent pins.
If I can fix them all I'll have a cpu/heat sink for free.

oeuvre wrote:

At least you got the money back

Indeed, I got all the pins bent back without breaking any!

Took awhile and there were maybe 20-30 pent pins. a lot more then I originally thought.
I'll test the cpu tonight, I may of gotten a free cpu 🤣

Reply 41 of 49, by i486_inside

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Rember when dealing with a lot of bent pins you can afford to loose some pins as long as they are redundant Vcc and Vss pins, I have a Am486DX4 that the last time I messed with it it still worked despite missing a Vcc or Vss pin.

Reply 42 of 49, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

Well the motherboard is bad.
I'm going to retrub the mobo and rethink this system. I found a cheap at slot one motherboard and will go for a dos/9x system.

Last edited by Jade Falcon on 2017-06-24, 15:36. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 43 of 49, by CkRtech

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Sorry you have had to deal with some roughage with this project. I was looking forward to your final post that had the parts and their totals <= $100.

Displaced Gamers (YouTube) - DOS Gaming Aspect Ratio - 320x200 || The History of 240p || Dithering on the Sega Genesis with Composite Video

Reply 44 of 49, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

In still trying, but I have to make some changes. I really wanted to go socket7 but I found a nice looking AT 440xl board.
I hope it can use a Celeron 433mhz. I'm not really sure what the board is, but it looked nice.
From the photos it looks to have a sound card on it.

Reply 47 of 49, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

So the seller of the dead socket 7 board is given me a rely hard time, making threats and everything. bent pins on the CPU...

I'm going to put this project on the back burner for a while. I'll definitely come back to it, but for now I need time away from it.

Reply 48 of 49, by CkRtech

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Vogons will always be here for you if you want to just shoot the breeze with us for awhile as you break from that project.

Displaced Gamers (YouTube) - DOS Gaming Aspect Ratio - 320x200 || The History of 240p || Dithering on the Sega Genesis with Composite Video

Reply 49 of 49, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

It's all cool.
The board I bought to replace the socket 7 board will be used for a higher dollar build and I don't have the money/time right now to have two builds going on. Maybe latter in July. I should have about a week of mostly free time work aside.