VOGONS

First post, by Nic-93

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

https://www.cnet.com/products/asus-p2b-mother … 1-i440bx/specs/ this is the motherboard i have and the wierd issue with it is that even after ive done like a power supply swap and did servral idea cable swaps on the build, its not detecting the hard drive at all and these hard drives i have are fully functional, mainly 40 gig drives, even the hard drive finder in the bios hangs up.

Reply 4 of 20, by Nic-93

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
SSTV2 wrote:

Floppies, smaller capacity HDD with boot sector, burned compact disk with boot sector and all the software, USB thumb drive (if supported), ROM programmer or hot-flashing method.

i got servral cdroms and was thinking that method.

Reply 6 of 20, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

as long as the system can boot to a prompt where you can run the .exe flash tool you'll be fine

edit
PS
You can find the BIOS and flash tool here, the beta bios is safe to use
https://www.asus.com/support/Download/1/2/1/6/10

Reply 7 of 20, by cj_reha

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This would waste a PCI slot, but an alternative would be to get a PCI IDE controller (e.g. Promise Ultra66/100/133.) I have used the Ultra66 card with 80 GB hard drives, and even though the BIOS shows it as a ~10 gig drive, it shows up as the full 80 GB in Windows 98.

Join the Retro PC Discord! - https://discord.gg/UKAFchB
My YouTube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDJYB_ZDsIzXGZz6J0txgCA

Reply 9 of 20, by Nic-93

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ive fiddled more with the computer and sat in a 20 gig hard drive, and now the drive shows up, but its doing a memory count loop and if i skip it, the computer runs normal, does it mean something is clearly wrong with the bios?

Last edited by Nic-93 on 2017-07-08, 10:18. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 10 of 20, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Some bioses are counting multiple times the ram. Is it really looping constantly ?

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 11 of 20, by Nic-93

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Deksor wrote:

Some bioses are counting multiple times the ram. Is it really looping constantly ?

Yes it is, even with a lower memory stick in it, the lowest i have are 120, or a lonely 512 in it.

Reply 12 of 20, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Nic-93 wrote:
Deksor wrote:

Yes it is, even with a lower memory stick in it, the lowest i have are 120, or a lonely 512 in it.

Just to clarify, is your P2B actually (kinda) working with a single 512MB DIMM?

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 13 of 20, by Nic-93

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Tetrium wrote:
Nic-93 wrote:
Deksor wrote:

Yes! its sorta working with a 512, ive even had the cmos wiped to see if that did the trick wich im afriad it did not, im thinking there is something wrong with the bios.

Reply 14 of 20, by Nic-93

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
cj_reha wrote:

This would waste a PCI slot, but an alternative would be to get a PCI IDE controller (e.g. Promise Ultra66/100/133.) I have used the Ultra66 card with 80 GB hard drives, and even though the BIOS shows it as a ~10 gig drive, it shows up as the full 80 GB in Windows 98.

i do have a ide cable raid controller on hhand, and most of my pci slots aint used to much, so maybe ill give it a try.

Reply 15 of 20, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Nic-93 wrote:
Yes! its sorta working with a 512, ive even had the cmos wiped to see if that did the trick wich im afriad it did not, im thinki […]
Show full quote
Deksor wrote:

Nic-93 wrote:

Tetrium wrote:

Yes! its sorta working with a 512, ive even had the cmos wiped to see if that did the trick wich im afriad it did not, im thinking there is something wrong with the bios.

440BX isn't supposed to work with modules larger then 256MB. Afaik this chipset shouldn't be able to support it (doesn't matter if it's due to the higher density or a larger number of chips).
This module may be being problematic due to this.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 16 of 20, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Tetrium wrote:

440BX isn't supposed to work with modules larger then 256MB. Afaik this chipset shouldn't be able to support it (doesn't matter if it's due to the higher density or a larger number of chips).
This module may be being problematic due to this.

^This. Try 2x256MB

Reply 17 of 20, by FFXIhealer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I built a floppy disk that had the BIOS Flash Utility and the new BIOS binary file on it. I also made a 2nd floppy into a Windows 98 boot floppy. That gets you to a basic DOS prompt. From there, you swap out the floppies and re-flash the BIOS with the latest version.

After I did that, it recognized a Western Digital 40GB drive no problem. It even recognized the new 600MHz Katmai Pentium III I stuck in there. It's been running stable since.

NOTE: I'm using 2x128MB PC-100 SDRAM sticks for 256MB total. This is severe overkill for Windows 98...just saying.

292dps.png
3smzsb.png
0fvil8.png
lhbar1.png