VOGONS

First post, by vkcpolice

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi all i was wondering if anyone can please help me. i have a 486Dx4 with win 95 installed however when i shutdown windows in ms dos i have no cd rom drivers. i have tried to install drivers from oak technology and others but none work im sure this is just something i have to write in the autobac file? does anyone know what line i need to right in there cheers

Reply 1 of 6, by MERCURY127

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

add to ur config.sys file:

DEVICE=VIDE-CDD.SYS /D:UDVD1
or
DEVICE=YOUR_CDROM_DRIVER.SYS /D:UDVD1

and

INSTALL=SHSUCDX.COM /D:UDVD1
or
INSTALL=MSCDEX.EXE /D:UDVD1

Reply 2 of 6, by vkcpolice

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi i have tried both lines and nothing works in dos mode also my cd rom drive is e: so i used that instead of d: in the line still does not read or even detect a cd rom drive in dos

Reply 3 of 6, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-WmGvYDLsj4

Is this an IDE CD-ROM drive, is it SCSI, or is it a proprietary interface? Is the cable is fully plugged in, lined up, and oriented properly? Is the CD-ROM drive on it's own cable? What jumper settings are you using?

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 4 of 6, by MERCURY127

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

i hope, u not just copypasted this strings?
find on ur disk C: all files, that i point, ie SHSUCDX.COM/MSCDEX.EXE/VIDE-CDD.SYS/YOUR_CDROM_DRIVER.SYS (only u can know, what driver need for ur cdrom, and where he located, but if its ordinal ide drive - try ECSCDIDE.SYS and MSCDEX.EXE from windows folder)
after this, specify FULL path to files:

DEVICE=C:\FULL\PATH\TO\ECSCDIDE.SYS /D:UDVD1
and
INSTALL=C:\FULL\PATH\TO\MSCDEX.EXE /D:UDVD1

Reply 5 of 6, by skitters

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

You can download shsucdx.com and vide-cdd.sys from the Hirens website if you don't have them and want to use them.
https://www.hiren.info/downloads/dos-files

shsucdx.com is a replacement for mscdex.exe and vide-cdd.sys is a CD driver.

vkcpolice wrote:

i have tried to install drivers from oak technology and others but none work im sure this is just something i have to write in the autobac file? does anyone know what line i need to right in there cheers

It sounds like you're using OAKCDROM.SYS for the CD driver.
OAKCDROM.SYS works with most IDE drives.
If you're using a SCSI CD drive, you'd need the driver for your SCSI controller instead of the CD driver.

Generally you need a line in your autoexec.bat (or C:\Windows\dosstart.bat) and a line in your config.sys

For example,

in autoexec.bat or C:\Windows\dosstart.bat add the line C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\MSCDEX /D:MYCD […]
Show full quote

in autoexec.bat or C:\Windows\dosstart.bat add the line
C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\MSCDEX /D:MYCD

in config.sys add the line
DEVICE=C:\OAKCDROM.SYS /D:MYCD

The /D: is not your drive letter.
Whatever you have after /D: should match in the autoexec and config lines.
You don't have to use /D:MYCD.
You could use /D:BANANA or /D:MSCD001 or whatever, it just has to be the same in the two lines.

The C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\MSCDEX /D:MYCD line in autoexec.bat or dosstart.bat assumes the MSCDEX.exe file is in your C:\Windows\Command folder.

The DEVICE=C:\OAKCDROM.SYS /D:MYCD in config.sys assumes you copied the OAKCDROM.SYS file to your C: folder.

You can also use DEVICEHIGH= instead of DEVICE= if you are using upper memory:
DEVICEHIGH=C:\OAKCDROM.SYS /D:MYCD

I've never used the INSTALL= line that MERCURY127 mentions. Doesn't mean it's wrong or that it doesn't work, just that I've never done it that way.

To answer the question of whether to put the C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\MSCDEX /D:MYCD line in dosstart.bat or autoexec.bat ...
When booting from a floppy disk, the line would go in autoexec.bat on the boot disk.
Some people have no problem putting the MSCDEX line in C:\autoexec.bat and having the DOS CD drivers load alongside the Windows CD drivers when they boot Windows.
Others have problems with conflicting CD drivers, so they put the MSCDEX line in C:\Windows\dosstart.bat so the DOS CD driver only becomes active when they reboot to DOS mode.

This is very TLDR but the main thing is to remember...
There are two lines to load the CD drivers, one for MSCDEX (or SHSUCDX) and one to use whatever CD driver you want to use.
The paths to MSCDEX and your CD driver must be correct.
What's after the /D: must match in both lines.

Reply 6 of 6, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If you create the Win95 bootdisk from say bootdisk.com and boot from that does the CD drive work?
You can then just copy the drivers and syntax for autoexec.bat & config.sys.

If it doesn't work good chance its not IDE