VOGONS

First post, by amontre

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello,

I having problem booting up my Pentium 133 machine that i just salvaged. It missing HDD and i found a replacement 40GB IDE although it only shown as 8.4gb in BIOS.

If i connect the IDE HDD, it won't boot at all and freeze at Starting MS-DOS. However, if i removed the HDD it will boot up with all MSCDEX running and i can access the CD-ROM.

Any idea how to fix this ?

NEC Pentium 133 | 96mb RAM | 40gb HDD | s3 Virge DX | Voodoo 2 | SB AWE64 Gold | Roland MT-32 & SC 55MkII

Reply 1 of 7, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ask old hardware and driver/configuration questions in Marvin. This forum is for DOS games on modern systems. Marvin, the Paranoid Android

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 2 of 7, by James-F

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Welcome.
I see the police got to you first. 😀
Sometimes I wonder if mr. collector is of help besides telling people they are posting at the wrong forum.

On an IDE HDD there are usually "drive parameters" like ,Cylinders, Heads, SPT, just write them on a piece of paper and enter them manually in your BIOS.

WD-AC26400-60RT-64GB-54K-35-IDE-HDD-HP103725-001-DCMDVAAKVVAOACB-18MAR99-261489992537.jpg

my important / useful posts are here

Reply 3 of 7, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If i connect the IDE HDD, it won't boot at all and freeze at Starting MS-DOS. However, if i removed the HDD it will boot up with all MSCDEX running and i can access the CD-ROM.

To clarify, do you mean the 40GB drive is not formatted or partitioned yet when this happens?

On my Pentium 120 system, I was able to boot off my DOS 6.22 installation floppy, then have it format the 20+GB disk as an 8.4GB space, leaving the rest of the drive that it does not recognize as unused. Once that was done, fdisk to create four 2GB partitions, and it works great from that point.

But if your drive has jumpers for downsizing it, that might be something to try.

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 5 of 7, by jheronimus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Could there be a BIOS update for your motherboard? Pentium 120 still leaves a chance there's a version somewhere that gives you support for larger disks.

MR BIOS catalog
Unicore catalog

Reply 6 of 7, by matze79

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Or use a Disk Manager (Maxblast, Ontrack...)

https://www.retrokits.de - blog, retro projects, hdd clicker, diy soundcards etc
https://www.retroianer.de - german retro computer board

Reply 7 of 7, by amontre

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thank you ! After i specify the drive parameters, everything is working now.

NEC Pentium 133 | 96mb RAM | 40gb HDD | s3 Virge DX | Voodoo 2 | SB AWE64 Gold | Roland MT-32 & SC 55MkII