VOGONS

First post, by Pabloz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

When it comes to old 386 and 486 PC cases i was able to find a lot of those china made cases.
Lots of models with the turbo button and the display.

What i found strange is that some of you got a white case, colgate white, and i found the same models with a yellowish color that is not made by the sunlight because if i check the back of the plastic it has the same almond color, and if i do retrobright it doesnt work because almond was the original color. Also the metal covering the case was also painted in almond color.

So was that normal for the era?
I remember PCs like IBMs that were white, Compaq PCs that also were white.

from what year to what year PC cases were yellow?

386alt.jpg?w=510&h=679

Reply 1 of 6, by gca

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Unsure about time scales but in addition to the white and off cream there was ...

Ambra who made machines which were mostly light grey (both the metal and plastics) which was mid 90's from what I recall.
The Apple G3 which was made in a wide range of, lets go with eye catching, transparent colours.

Reply 3 of 6, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I worked as a tech in a PC repair shop from 1992 to 1997 and there were so many shades of beige, yellow, whitish and almond cases it was mind numbing so yeah, all of the above. Of course you had the dark yellow "I smoke nine packs a day" cigarette enhanced cases as well, but those were also yellow inside with yellow dust and a rank yellow smell.

Reply 5 of 6, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Azarien wrote:

Beige was the standard case color in early 1990's and before, only later white became more common and then black.

There was a very brief period of everything silver. And many cases had hybrid colors.
The FS OEM case that housed my Barton 3200+ is actually gray with black optical drives and a small portion of the front bezel also having some black.
Btw, there were also gray optical drives and floppy drives, but those were from before the silvery cases.

I remember there even being black-bezeled 5.25in floppy drives and some 2.88MB floppy drives seemed to come with black bezel.

I don't remember cases becoming white before going black. The aspirine-white only arrived after black had been "the norm" for a while already.

Personally I like the beige cases from the 2k's the most, when they were being made out of steel (I'm thinking kinda AOpen H600).
After black cases had been the norm for a while, they started making more cases that had more resemblance to a christmas tree and I don't like those. I also don't really like the PSU being mounted below, but it does seem to present better cooling solutions.

Is there actually somewhere where the history of the PC case is told?

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 6 of 6, by red_avatar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It's kind of amusing because, if you want your entire PC to have the same colour, it can be a major pain in the ass 🤣 . Nothing is uglier than having a PC with the case, monitor, keyboard and mouse all being in different shades of yellow-ish white.

I remember when in 2001 I decided to put together my very first own PC from scratch and I picked out this black case with chromed front. That was at the start of when special cases were beginning to break through and everyone who saw my PC was like "OMG is that a computer? How cool!" while theirs still had the bog standard beige plastic look.

Retro game fanatic.
IBM PS1 386SX25 - 4MB
IBM Aptiva 486SX33 - 8MB - 2GB CF - SB16
IBM PC350 P233MMX - 64MB - 32GB SSD - AWE64 - Voodoo2
PIII600 - 320MB - 480GB SSD - SB Live! - GF4 Ti 4200
i5-2500k - 3GB - SB Audigy 2 - HD 4870