VOGONS

First post, by smevans526

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Question in the title. For some background, I thought Creative's waveblaster 1 and 2 were the daughterboards that attach mainly to the sb16 and awe32 families. They use the card's UART feature and register as if you have an mpu401. So the port would be similar, probably 330h irq2.

The first version generates general midi via a Yamaha XG interface, the second model uses technology similar to awe32's Wavetable, but sb16+waveblaster2 does not equal awe32. For starters, awe32 uses frequencies like 660h for midi.

So, no daughter card on my awe32, but Ravager's setup first detects an sb16. It then asks if I have waveblaster. I tried yes, and it works, but why?

Ravager uses Redbook, so it uses the WaveBlaster to generate sound effects, not music. It said the waveblaster was on 220h, not 330h or 660h. In fact, I have the UART jumper removed on my card.

Again, Ravager sounds the same as always and works, so, what is the games using concerning my awe32? Sounds like regular sb16.

Does awe32 have waveblaster2 emulation?

Last edited by smevans526 on 2017-09-08, 02:16. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 4, by noshutdown

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

did you load any drivers for your awe32? i heard there were drivers that emulates a 330h midi port with awe32's 660h port.
"h"doesn't mean frequency, it indicates hexadecimal address.

Reply 4 of 4, by smevans526

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I reached the conclusion that for Wake of the Ravager, 'Waveblaster' is just their terminology for an sb16 paired with an mpu401. Fro the CD version, I don't think it matters since it uses redbook no matter what, so you can't use midi. I thought something maybe the mpu401 came into effect because they ask 'Would you like to instead use Waveblaster for sound effects?'. They just mean that mode and it still pulls actual sound effects from fm-synth, it should pull midi from 330h, but again, since it is CD, it cannot.