VOGONS

Reply 20 of 34, by Scali

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
lissajous wrote:

That's PSE you're referring to, not PAE.

Ah right. I always thought it was part of PAE, but it seems that the PSE part was already introduced in the Pentium, but was not documented until Pentium Pro (which probably explains why I saw it as a Pentium Pro-feature, and part of PAE).

http://scalibq.wordpress.com/just-keeping-it- … ro-programming/

Reply 21 of 34, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That's PSE [..] not PAE

(For all the non-diehard geeks (incl. me): PSE in this respect means "Page Size Extension" - http://smallvoid.com/article/winnt-large-page-minimum.html)

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 23 of 34, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

One thing to note about the pent pro is that some voodoo1 drivers are optimized for the cpu. So if your doing an era correct system with a voodoo1 a pent pro may be the way to go for best with the voodoo1 in a late 1996 or early 97 build.

Reply 24 of 34, by kva

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

You can read more about them in my article, linked here - Pentium Pro 256K vs Pentium Pro 1MB vs Pentium II Overdrive

Celeron Tualatin vs Celeron Conroe at equal clocks
Pentium Pro 256k vs Pentium Pro 1M vs Pentium II Overdrive!
VIA C3 vs VIA C7

My website all about old hardware

Reply 25 of 34, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Jade Falcon wrote:

One thing to note about the pent pro is that some voodoo1 drivers are optimized for the cpu. So if your doing an era correct system with a voodoo1 a pent pro may be the way to go for best with the voodoo1 in a late 1996 or early 97 build.

tell me more, this is the first I've heard of it.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 26 of 34, by gg1978

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

You can also run a PPro on a Socket 8 to Slot 1 adapter, on a certain subset of i440LX motherboards.. They all run with an unlocked multi, so can go from 2x50 to 4x66 on the slot 1, if the board supports it. That is if you want AGP and SDRAM for a PPro anyway.

Reply 27 of 34, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
gg1978 wrote:

You can also run a PPro on a Socket 8 to Slot 1 adapter, on a certain subset of i440LX motherboards.. They all run with an unlocked multi, so can go from 2x50 to 4x66 on the slot 1, if the board supports it. That is if you want AGP and SDRAM for a PPro anyway.

NICE TRY!!!

This actually does not work. I had these adapters once upon a time. They worked in (some) 440FX slot 1 boards, but not 440BX. So no AGP. Basically the 440FX board had to specifically state compatibility.

Reply 28 of 34, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED
luckybob wrote:
Jade Falcon wrote:

tell me more, this is the first I've heard of it.

Some read me files for older voodoo1 drivers state that their optimized for the pentium pro. I know the drivers shiped with the dimond monster sated this. Im guessing that they aren't smp optimized.

See here.
http://www.philscomputerlab.com/drivers-for-voodoo.html

Reply 29 of 34, by gg1978

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I said LX, not BX... There are some early LX boards that WILL take the Socket 8 to Slot 1 adapter, and work perfectly with it. Sometimes it takes a specific BIOS rev in order to do so, but i assure you it does work.

luckybob wrote:
gg1978 wrote:

NICE TRY!!!

This actually does not work. I had these adapters once upon a time. They worked in (some) 440FX slot 1 boards, but not 440BX. So no AGP. Basically the 440FX board had to specifically state compatibility.

Reply 30 of 34, by kva

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
gg1978 wrote:

I am trying to buy them for years, no luck, no more hope 🙁

Celeron Tualatin vs Celeron Conroe at equal clocks
Pentium Pro 256k vs Pentium Pro 1M vs Pentium II Overdrive!
VIA C3 vs VIA C7

My website all about old hardware

Reply 31 of 34, by Standard Def Steve

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
luckybob wrote:
gg1978 wrote:

NICE TRY!!!

My Dell XPS-T550 has an Intel SE440-BX3 and it recognizes my Celeron-1400 as a Pentium Pro. So, since the BIOS has "Pentium Pro" in its vocabulary, I'm guessing that there's a good chance it would work with a PPro in an adapter. I wish I could test this theory, but I don't have a PPro (or S8 slotket) in my collection.

94 MHz NEC VR4300 | SGI Reality CoPro | 8MB RDRAM | Each game gets its own SSD - nooice!

Reply 32 of 34, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I mean TECHNICALLY the 440BX chipset CAN use the P-pro but it is up to the vendor and afaik, I havent seen one. I know for a fact it doesnt work on the Auss p3b-s and p3b-ds

Reply 33 of 34, by Jed118

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
11justsomekid wrote:

I was just looking at the Intel processor timeline and I noticed this series I've personally never heard of. I don't see it mentioned around here, judging by a quick search. Does no one use it because of its awkward placement between the Pentium I and II? Or are Socket 8 motherboards not desirable. On the topic on Socket 8, what about the Pentium II Overdrive?

I'm just curious, that's all.

I have a Dell Pentium Pro 200MHz running 95 and another clone Pentium 166 (S, no fancy MMX stuff) and a lot of the times, the P166 beats it in load time and games. The PPro is one (BIOS year) newer than the P166.

The P166 is marginally a better gaming machine.

Youtube channel- The Kombinator
What's for sale? my eBay!

Reply 34 of 34, by Scali

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Jed118 wrote:

The P166 is marginally a better gaming machine.

For Windows 9x, most probably, since it contains a lot of 16-bit code, which the Pentium Pro is weak at.
Under an NT Windows, the picture is probably somewhat different.

http://scalibq.wordpress.com/just-keeping-it- … ro-programming/