VOGONS

First post, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

So there are two systems I never build or messed with before.
Pentium pro and a back plane system, this winter I'll build one of the two, or both 😕

I was thinking of getting a PICMG board like this.
http://www.ewayco.com/26-Backplanes-PCI-ISA-P … /PCI-8S_500.jpg

Anyway I was wondering if anyone had any advice or links to info on older backplane setups?
Thanks

EDIT:
Some things I'd like to know.

Can I disabled the video card on the PICMG cpu board and use a better PCI card?
Can I use any PCI/ISA card with such a setup? Or do I need special hardware?
Can I use two PICMG cards in the same system for a dual CPU setup? Or are the second cpu board slots for redundancy?

Reply 1 of 2, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Cool, I have an Advantech PCA-6159 (Pentium MMX) on a backplane like that. It works great.

Jade Falcon wrote:

Can I disabled the video card on the PICMG cpu board and use a better PCI card?
Can I use any PCI/ISA card with such a setup? Or do I need special hardware?
Can I use two PICMG cards in the same system for a dual CPU setup? Or are the second cpu board slots for redundancy?

1- usually yes. It probably depends on the BIOS of the card, but these are generally based on standard PC chipsets & BIOSes (mine is an i430TX with a typical Award blue BIOS.) I'm running a PCI Virge (& Voodoo2) and it works fine. I didn't even have to do anything, it autodetected the Virge when I put it in and disabled the onboard VGA.
2 - yep, they're just standard PC stuff in a different form factor.
3- no, the issue is you're then duplicating all the chipsets etc. It would be like connecting two motherboards together by soldering wires between all the pins on the ISA & PCI slots. There MIGHT be some specific boards that support operating this way but AFAIK none of the common makes (Advantech, etc.) do. I don't know why they put a second PICMG slot in.

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 2 of 2, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

Thanks for the info.
I was doing some reading and it would seem that the extra slots are for deferent segments.
So basically it would like having two computers or something in one case.

Or that's how I understood it