VOGONS

First post, by dreamscape

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Right, I've tried so much stuff to get games working properly but I'm struggling...

I've tried using a Pentium II laptop which worked well but lacked any 3D acceleration and a lot of games were very laggy in software mode.

s-l1600_4.jpg

Tried virtual machines, none worked well and all had issues of some sort.

More recently I've purchased a Compaq E500, Pentium III 900Mhz laptop with a ATI Rage Mobility 8MB GPU and 512MB RAM.

s-l1600.jpg

This features Direct 3D acceleration and even in software mode (where the only alternative is 3DFX) it runs great! It did have a couple of issues. First was Worms 2 where it wouldn't display the game correctly at all. I fixed this with a driver update and it now displays fine:

s-l1600_2.jpg

Another issue was Sub Culture. It was perfect apart from the underwater mines would display white and had no texture in Direct 3D mode. I'm yet to test this under the new drivers so it might be fixed.

s-l1600_3.jpg

Now, the one main issue I have now with this machine is sound... Games have really odd sound where sounds are either missing or get stuck like an old record and repeat over and over mid game. The games this happens most on is PowerSlide and Uprising Join or Die. The sound card is a ESS Maestro 2.

Can anyone give me any advice on how to get this running properly? Is there anyway i could some how emulate SB Pro or anything on this machine? I want to relive my childhood but I'm really struggling to get this working right and I don't really have the cash right now (or space) to invest in a proper PC with 3DFX cards, Sound Blaster 16 etc etc...

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Reply 1 of 2, by KCompRoom2000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dreamscape wrote:

Now, the one main issue I have now with this machine is sound... Games have really odd sound where sounds are either missing or get stuck like an old record and repeat over and over mid game. The games this happens most on is PowerSlide and Uprising Join or Die. The sound card is a ESS Maestro 2.

Can anyone give me any advice on how to get this running properly? Is there anyway i could some how emulate SB Pro or anything on this machine? I want to relive my childhood but I'm really struggling to get this working right and I don't really have the cash right now (or space) to invest in a proper PC with 3DFX cards, Sound Blaster 16 etc etc...

Any advice greatly appreciated.

As for DOS emulation: There are some DOS drivers available for those ESS sound processors through various sources (mostly bundled with the 9x VXD drivers), maybe you can try these two driver packs to see if they contain drivers for your ESS Maestro 2:
http://www.vogonsdrivers.com/getfile.php?file … menustate=45,35
http://www.vogonsdrivers.com/getfile.php?file … menustate=45,35

For games having weird sound: It's possible that the stock Compaq drivers for the ESS Maestro 2 are not optimized for DirectSound because those Armadas were intended for business use, you can try lowering the sound acceleration in dxdiag to see if that helps, or try installing the 9x driver on one of the driver packs linked above to see if they work better.

Reply 2 of 2, by dreamscape

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Great thank you, I will give it a try and report back!

Edit:

Yeesssssssss! Thank you! "M2E_SE2046_sign_31156" worked perfectly I now have full audio without issues even on FMV movies.

Thank you!