VOGONS

First post, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This is a topic I've meant to bring up for a while. What's the best way to repair CRTs that have been scratched?

I've got a nice HP M703 (https://img01.olx.in/images_olxin/189817351_1 … ga-monitor-.jpg not my pic) but it's got a grouping of small thin scratches right in the center. Not a ton or any too deep but enough to be annoying right in the center.

I've read about using glass filler, eye glass filler or some Jewelers compound. What do you guys do to repair scratches?

Cyb3rst0rms Retro Hardware Warzone: https://discord.gg/jK8uvR4c
I used to own over 160 graphics card, I've since recovered from graphics card addiction

Reply 2 of 5, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
TOBOR wrote:

Does it have an anti-glare coating on the glass?

Possibly? I'm not entirely sure how to tell although the screen is quite reflective. Worse case scenario I have to remove the entire coating to fix the scratches. It's used in a dark enviroment so glare shouldn't be an issue.

EDIT: According to CNET it has an Anti Glare and an Anti Static coating.

Cyb3rst0rms Retro Hardware Warzone: https://discord.gg/jK8uvR4c
I used to own over 160 graphics card, I've since recovered from graphics card addiction

Reply 4 of 5, by probnot

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:
TOBOR wrote:

Possibly? I'm not entirely sure how to tell although the screen is quite reflective. Worse case scenario I have to remove the entire coating to fix the scratches. It's used in a dark enviroment so glare shouldn't be an issue.

I had a monitor with scratches in the anti-glare years ago. Only way to make it even was to remove all the coating. For that, ceramic stove-top cleaner worked really fast!

Reply 5 of 5, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:
TOBOR wrote:

If its only in the anti glare or static coating then cleing the screen with windex a few times would eat it up and remove the scratches. But your lose the filter.

You have a few options to clean up scratches. The best thing can do is to have the glass polished provided it thin scratches.
Fillers can work but not all that well. I tend to use petroleum jelly to fill deep scrapes. But for light stuff it will not work.
I have also had good luck with adjusting the lighting setting in both the room and on the monitor to make scuffs harder to see.
Another option is to put a clear/light window tent on the screen. It may distort the image a little but if the screen has alot of scuffs it might be your best bet.
I have also herd people use clear fingers nail polish to fill deeper scuffs.