VOGONS

First post, by schadenfreude1

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've been selling, donating, and throwing away lots of hardware before my impending move. I have an ASUS laptop with a 2.0GHz Core Duo processor, 1GB RAM, ATI X1600, and Windows XP on it that I used to run DOSBox and late 90s to mid 2000s games on it. The screen on it is busted, but I always used it with an external monitor, so it's been a nice, relatively portable gaming machine for me. Recently, however, I purchased a 14" HP notebook with a third-generation i7 and a Radeon card for use with CRT Emudriver (similar idea as Soft15kHz if you're unaware). Anyway, I think I can use this new machine to do everything I was doing with the old one and more, but I am wondering if there is a good reason for me to keep the Core Duo machine. I only use these "old" computers to play games, so are there any advantages a Windows XP / 32-bit processor combination can give me for gaming that a Windows 7 / 64-bit processor could not? I am thinking about things like compatibility issues some games may have with the newer processor and OS combination. Thank you in advance.

Reply 1 of 8, by LHN91

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

There are some games that only work properly on XP, and also some games with 16-bit installers that won't install on 64-bit OS's without a third-party/community made installer.

Phil has a youtube video on some reasons for an XP machine: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQDEWNs7e5M

Reply 2 of 8, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

without a third-party/community made installer

This reminds me of the InstallShield installers. They also got released in 32-Bit flavors.
Replacing the the old executables with their Win32 counterparts sometimes works.

Installing 32-bit programs with 16-bit setup launcher stubs
https://www.reactos.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=90351

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 3 of 8, by Azarien

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

are there any advantages a Windows XP / 32-bit processor combination can give me for gaming that a Windows 7 / 64-bit processor could not?

Possibly. But there are also other options.
You don't need a 32-bit processor to run 32-bit Windows. And it doesn't have to be Windows XP either - 32-bit versions of Windows are still being made.

To add to the confusion, a 64-bit Windows XP also exists, though its usability is somewhat limited (it is still XP so no advantages of newer versions, and it's not 32-bit so no compatibility advantages either).

I'm writing this post on a Core 2 Quad, which is a 64-bit CPU, running 32-bit Windows 10. Most of the games commonly said to require XP run just fine, or with minor tweaking.

Reply 4 of 8, by BeginnerGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Put 32 bit windows on the laptop and you're set, you can dual boot no problems.

I've been wanting to build a C2Q desktop setup for a single solution XP machine for a while now. Get rid of all the spare junk laying around and build one power house (maybe q6600) w/ 32 bit XP + 4 GB DDR2. Toss in a cheap late 00s graphics card (I'm thinking Radeon 5770) and it'll run basically anything from 2000-2009 (or a little later) without a hitch!

Sup. I like computers. Are you a computer?

Reply 5 of 8, by schadenfreude1

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Wow, dual-booting 32-bit and 64-bit Windows OSes is a really awesome idea. So the problem with playing these games in modern OSes is that they're being played with a 64-bit OS and that simply using a 32-bit version of a Windows OS is the fix? Do you get similar good results as Phil did in that YouTube video posted above, where he built a nice 32-bit setup to play those early 2000s games? I'd prefer to do this dual-booting solution on the newer machine rather than keep around the older one, and if it gets me similar or the same results, I will go for it.

Reply 8 of 8, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

Honestly older asus gaming laptops are not what tgere all cracked up to be in my opinion. Their prone to iver heating and the screens like to fail.
Ether fix the screen and keep it or sell it for like 50$ on ebay. But thats just me.