VOGONS

First post, by GiSWiG

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So I have a Steam/GOG Windows XP box. I have a 9800 GTX+ in it which is a DX9 card. Windows XP cannot do DX10. Now sometimes (maybe), later video cards might be backwards compatible with earlier DirectX versions but might not have all the same features that the video cards of that earlier DirectX version had and the newer cards might not dispaly/render games the way they should or intended.

Is that true of a DirectX 10 Geforce 9800 GTX+ in a WinXP machine? Will the 9800 GTX+ incorrectly display/render DirectX 9 games in Windows XP?

Steamer/GOG-er: ASUS Crosshair IV Formula | AMD Phenom II X6 1100T 3.7GHz all cores | Mushkin 8GB DDR3 RAM 1333 w/ 6-6-6-18 1T | Dual AMD Radeon HD 6850s in CrossFireX | X-Fi Titanium | Dual-boot Windows XP and Vista

Reply 1 of 8, by shiva2004

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Don't worry, the 9800GTX+ is a first generation DX10 card (it's basically a revised 8800) launched when DX9 was still the dominant API so its DX9 support is spotless, compatibility issues usually only appear some generations later.

Reply 2 of 8, by GiSWiG

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Seems logical. Thanks!

Steamer/GOG-er: ASUS Crosshair IV Formula | AMD Phenom II X6 1100T 3.7GHz all cores | Mushkin 8GB DDR3 RAM 1333 w/ 6-6-6-18 1T | Dual AMD Radeon HD 6850s in CrossFireX | X-Fi Titanium | Dual-boot Windows XP and Vista

Reply 3 of 8, by GiSWiG

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
shiva2004 wrote:

Don't worry, the 9800GTX+ is a first generation DX10 card (it's basically a revised 8800) launched when DX9 was still the dominant API so its DX9 support is spotless, compatibility issues usually only appear some generations later.

Do you think the same would hold true for a GTS 250? I have a GTS 250 1GB edition and I believe they are the same chip with the same features but the GTS 250 is more power efficient and only needs 1 6-pin power plug and not 2 plugs like the 9800 GTX+

Reply 6 of 8, by GiSWiG

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
shiva2004 wrote:

It should work, as you say they're the same card, perhaps you should stick to old drivers.
Curiously I've been toying with one today, although in W10 🤣

I put a GTS 250 in my daughter's computer with Windows 10. Works fine for Minecraft and that's good enough for her.

Reply 7 of 8, by shiva2004

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Just to explain the importance of using the correct (read:usually old) drivers: I was playing with a GeForce 6600 with the latest drivers (304.xx) and a bunch of old games and some present severe graphical glitches, I downgrade to 81.xx and everything works OK. Of course, if you try more modern games it will be exactly the opposite, so you have to decide what are you going to use the card for and choose drivers accordingly. Many thanks, nvidia (and AMD/ATI is even worse) 😢

Reply 8 of 8, by .legaCy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
shiva2004 wrote:

Just to explain the importance of using the correct (read:usually old) drivers: I was playing with a GeForce 6600 with the latest drivers (304.xx) and a bunch of old games and some present severe graphical glitches, I downgrade to 81.xx and everything works OK. Of course, if you try more modern games it will be exactly the opposite, so you have to decide what are you going to use the card for and choose drivers accordingly. Many thanks, nvidia (and AMD/ATI is even worse) 😢

Nvidia is well known for releasing shitty drivers for older cards, i call planned obscolensce.
I have one gf gtx 550ti at work and even on desktop modern drivers sometimes messes up, had the same issue before with one gts 450,i thought that was a board problrm,but later i found that older drivers work didnt messed up.