VOGONS

First post, by buckeye

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Didn't know what else to call this. Have a pair of bluetooth capable speakers hooked up to my win98 rig which I listen to via Pandora with the computer off while sync'd with my phone. When I was thru listening I shut down Pandora on the phone and booted the computer to play some games only to have the boot up screen showing the message "repairing sector in registry". Crap! Sure enuff the screen came up like in "safe-mode" asking for a ps/2 mouse, but all I had connected was usb for both keyboard and mouse.

After hooking up a ps/2 mouse & keyboard booted system up and then it went thru reinstalling drivers for video, sound & etc. All seemed fine after the next boot except no sound, only then did i realize that the speakers were still in bluetooth mode. Once shutting that off, everything is working ok. My long winded question is - would the bluetooth connection cause the mishap? Never seen or heard of this happening before. Maybe it's just coincidence and my mobo or something else is crapping out. The usb keyboard/mouse combo in win98 has caused the ps/2 hiccups before but not like this. For the record the speakers are 1700 edifiers which are hooked up to the live sb card and the mobo is a Intel SE-440BX early version not bx2. Do I need to get a Bx2 board for better usb compatibility & stability in general? Sorry for the long winded post just wanted to cover the details, thanks ahead for any input!

Asus P5N-E Intel Core 2 Duo 3.33ghz. 4GB DDR2 Geforce 470 1GB SB X-Fi Titanium 650W XP SP3
Intel SE440BX P3 450 256MB 80GB SSD Asus V7700 GF2 64mb SB 32pnp 350W 98SE
MSI x570 Gaming Pro Carbon Ryzen 3700x 32GB DDR4 Zotac RTX 3070 8GB WD Black 1TB 850W

Reply 1 of 2, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Should be completely unrelated...

Though you're not quite clear how you rebooted that time. There's a mistake to make where you go from win98 to dos mode, but it's actually just a full screen command prompt with win98 still running, then if your dos stuff locks up, or you forget and ctrl-alt-del out of it, you've basically pulled plug on win98 instead of shutting down properly.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 2 of 2, by buckeye

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Actually wasn't in dos-mode. When the "safe-mode" like screen came up it was asking for a ps/2 mouse. So I did a "hard" shut-down and plugged one in, rebooted and then the all the device drivers started installing. Weird, I think either my OS is corrupt or the mobo is dying a slow death. Seems to work OK for now though.

Asus P5N-E Intel Core 2 Duo 3.33ghz. 4GB DDR2 Geforce 470 1GB SB X-Fi Titanium 650W XP SP3
Intel SE440BX P3 450 256MB 80GB SSD Asus V7700 GF2 64mb SB 32pnp 350W 98SE
MSI x570 Gaming Pro Carbon Ryzen 3700x 32GB DDR4 Zotac RTX 3070 8GB WD Black 1TB 850W