VOGONS

486 MOBO BIOS Update

Topic actions

First post, by spaceghost711

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello All,

New to the group. I have learned A LOT after stumbling across this forum so thanks to all that have contributed. So, recently had the urge to play around with some older PCs from back in my younger years... A nerds mid-life crisis? Anyway....

I have a 486 board and have had a hell of a time figuring out the vendor and model. It boots and I'm trying to decide on what hard drive to use and it I want to mess around with an overlay. It currently boots to with an AMD 5x86 clocked at 150 with a heatsink and fan and 128 MB of RAM (overkill I know but I did it because I could) Also has a 4MB Matrox PCI video card, SB Gold and a USB PCI car (not sure if it'll work in Win 98 SE but we'll see). The markings on the board are TK8880F-4N-D63E and 4DIP VER 1.0, BIOS string is 2A4X5Z01C. I purchased it on ebay from the Ukraine and I've tried to check this guys site out chukaev.ru54.com/bios_cs_en.htm but it appears to be down. There are several boards that look very close to this one, the closest is a ADI F4DXP-UC5-1. Here is a pic

I'm wanting to make sure it has the latest BIOS version on it but according to this site: https://www.wimsbios.com/chipset/2A4X5.jsp - the string for the ADI board does not match. It currently has the same BIOS dated at the Shuttle (Holco) HOT-433. Some searches have pointed to it being a "Target" motherboard and ZIda. I saw the "Free Style" BIOS on WimBIOS' site but was afraid to try it. If someone could help identify this board and would be forever greatful

Attachments

• 20171002_182649.jpg
    Filename
    20171002_182649.jpg
    File size
    2.39 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • adi 486 motherboard.jpg
    Filename
    adi 486 motherboard.jpg
    File size
    496.31 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 2 of 22, by Imperious

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You are correct, it's almost impossible to find anything out there about this.
Most likely it will have a non flashable Eprom fitted. Even if it has a flashable one, unless You have an eprom programmer, leave it alone
or you might kill it.

I patched my 4DPS bios to support 40gig hdd, but as I have a programmer there is no risk. If you have a programmer upload the
bios here and I'll see if I can patch it with "Biospatcher" and "Modbin"

Atari 2600, TI994a, Vic20, c64, ZX Spectrum 128, Amstrad CPC464, Atari 65XE, Commodore Plus/4, Amiga 500
PC's from XT 8088, 486, Pentium MMX, K6, Athlon, P3, P4, 775, to current Ryzen 5600x.

Reply 3 of 22, by Ampera

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Imperious wrote:
You are correct, it's almost impossible to find anything out there about this. Most likely it will have a non flashable Eprom fi […]
Show full quote

Most likely it will have a non flashable Eprom fitted. Even if it has a flashable one, unless You have an eprom programmer, leave it alone
or you might kill it.

I patched my 4DPS bios to support 40gig hdd, but as I have a programmer there is no risk. If you have a programmer upload the

non flashable EPROM

that's like saying un drinkable potable water

Reply 4 of 22, by TheMobRules

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Ampera wrote:

non flashable EPROM

Actually the BIOS on most 486 motherboards is not stored on a flash ROM, instead they use UV-erasable EPROMs which are NOT a type of flash memory.

Only on certain (later) 486 boards you can flash the BIOS using the appropriate utility from AMI/Award/etc. , that's why Imperious suggests not messing with it unless using a programmer.

Reply 6 of 22, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I suspect the BIOS from most PCI 486 motherboards containing UM8881F, UM8886AF, and UM8663AF chipsets will work on your board.

Your board is very similar to a Gigabyte GA486AM/S, however it looks like your board only supports up to 512K single-banked cache, while the GA486AM/S supports up to 1024K double-banked cache. This is merely a manifestation of the quantity of pins the manufacturer used on the cache DIP sockets and can be altered if desired, e.g. Re: The World's Fastest 486

Why are you looking for another BIOS? Boards with the UM8666BF were more likely to have BIOS updates. I'm still not sure what the difference between the AF and BF are, but I suspect the BF added PS/2 mouse support (I have zero evidence to back this up, just general observations).

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 7 of 22, by Ampera

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
PARKE wrote:

UV erasable chips are EEPROMS, the types that can be flashed via software are EPROMS.

http://www.differencebetween.com/difference-b … -and-vs-eeprom/

You've got those the wrong way round.

TheMobRules wrote:
Ampera wrote:

non flashable EPROM

Actually the BIOS on most 486 motherboards is not stored on a flash ROM, instead they use UV-erasable EPROMs which are NOT a type of flash memory.

Only on certain (later) 486 boards you can flash the BIOS using the appropriate utility from AMI/Award/etc. , that's why Imperious suggests not messing with it unless using a programmer.

I am well aware of this. For whatever reason in my mind I thought the act of writing to a PROM was called flashing.

I need to get myself a PROM burner one of these days as it's more useful the older you go into computing.

Reply 8 of 22, by spaceghost711

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Imperious wrote:
You are correct, it's almost impossible to find anything out there about this. Most likely it will have a non flashable Eprom fi […]
Show full quote

or you might kill it.

Thank you that would be great. I do not have one but have been thinking about getting one.... I will let you know

Reply 9 of 22, by spaceghost711

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Update - Both Imperious and feipoa were correct. This board does have a "Non Flashable EPROM". There is a jumper when clearing CMOS and Programming the EPROM to use 5V or 12V. Feipoa was also correct, kinda. So I also have one of the infamous PC Chips 919 boards with the fake cache chips on it. So I pulled the BIOS out of it (AMI) and installed it on this mystery board (Award) and to my surprise it booted, count all 128MB of EDO RAM and gave me a CHECKSUM error. I entered the BIOS and fixed the clock and auto detected the HD as a 8GB instead of 2 GB which was one of the goals! But when I exited and saved changes it never came back so I had to put the old BIOS back in.

The BIOS out of the PC Chips board has been flashed with a BIOS version from 04/15/1996, the BIOS in the mystery board is dated -7/15/1995. I would just use the PC Chips board if I could find a COAST cache stick.

Another note, the PC Chips board os a BF chipset and the mystery board is a AF. I'm not sure of the difference either except that the BF had support for a PS/2 mouse.

I'll keep playing with it but thought this was an interesting outcome just switching an Award BIOS with an AMI BIOS from different boards with different chip sets and it did anything.

Reply 10 of 22, by lazibayer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
spaceghost711 wrote:

Update - Both Imperious and feipoa were correct. This board does have a "Non Flashable EPROM". There is a jumper when clearing CMOS and Programming the EPROM to use 5V or 12V.

Why would a board provide programming option for EPROM? So you turn on the machine, shine UV-light on it overnight and then start updating the BIOS?
Please do us a favor - lift the sticker and report back the model number on the BIOS chip.

Reply 12 of 22, by spaceghost711

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
lazibayer wrote:
spaceghost711 wrote:

Update - Both Imperious and feipoa were correct. This board does have a "Non Flashable EPROM". There is a jumper when clearing CMOS and Programming the EPROM to use 5V or 12V.

Why would a board provide programming option for EPROM? So you turn on the machine, shine UV-light on it overnight and then start updating the BIOS?
Please do us a favor - lift the sticker and report back the model number on the BIOS chip.

Here you go! Sorry it took so long. Been working on Windows ME and my PCChips 919 board. I know, ME.... don't judge. Finally got it installed though.

Attachments

• Mystery 486 BIOS.jpg
    Filename
    Mystery 486 BIOS.jpg
    File size
    3.25 MiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 13 of 22, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
spaceghost711 wrote:
lazibayer wrote:
spaceghost711 wrote:

Here you go! Sorry it took so long. Been working on Windows ME and my PCChips 919 board. I know, ME.... don't judge. Finally got it installed though.

Could you dump that bios and post it here please? Hd limitations are not a problem. I have the exact same board but without any bios chip so a dump would be great!
That way i can finally test it and see if it works. Any directions to a fully working )other ) bios is also fine. Thanks!

asus tx97-e, 233mmx, voodoo1, s3 virge ,sb16
asus p5a, k6-3+ @ 550mhz, voodoo2 12mb sli, gf2 gts, awe32
asus p3b-f, p3-700, voodoo3 3500TV agp, awe64
asus tusl2-c, p3-S 1,4ghz, voodoo5 5500, live!
asus a7n8x DL, barton cpu, 6800ultra, Voodoo3 pci, audigy1

Reply 14 of 22, by Cga.8086

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

i have a question regarding bios flashing on old 486 PC
For example i have an pcCheaps m919 motherboard that has a jumper that says

Flash ROM Voltage Selector
Description JP2

12 volt Flash ROM : short pin 1-2
5 volt Flash ROM : short pin 2-3

What is this? I have no jumper at all in there and the board works.
i have no clue of what it is for, i always thought you needed an external rom flasher for these.

Reply 15 of 22, by lazibayer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Cga.8086 wrote:
i have a question regarding bios flashing on old 486 PC For example i have an pcCheaps m919 motherboard that has a jumper that s […]
Show full quote

Description JP2

i have no clue of what it is for, i always thought you needed an external rom flasher for these.

The jumper decides whether to send 12V to pin 1 of the flash chip when programming. Pin 1 is NC on 5V chips. So in your case, you have no problem reading or writing a 5V chip, but you can only read a 12V chip unless you supply 12V manually to its pin 1.

Reply 16 of 22, by Cga.8086

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
lazibayer wrote:
Cga.8086 wrote:
i have a question regarding bios flashing on old 486 PC For example i have an pcCheaps m919 motherboard that has a jumper that s […]
Show full quote

Description JP2

The jumper decides whether to send 12V to pin 1 of the flash chip when programming. Pin 1 is NC on 5V chips. So in your case, you have no problem reading or writing a 5V chip, but you can only read a 12V chip unless you supply 12V manually to its pin 1.

But you still need an external flasher to change the bios right?
when was auto DOS flashing utility appeared in history? in the pentium3 era ?

Reply 17 of 22, by lazibayer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Cga.8086 wrote:
lazibayer wrote:
Cga.8086 wrote:
Show full quote

Description JP2

But you still need an external flasher to change the bios right?
when was auto DOS flashing utility appeared in history? in the pentium3 era ?

It appeared no later than 486 era, because I have done that on a couple of 486 boards. It became dominant in the pentium era.
Even if you can't get your board to program its BIOS, you may also use Intel, 3COM or Realtek NIC cards with 32pin socket to program most 128KB or smaller flash chips.

Reply 18 of 22, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Could you make a small guide about how to do that exactly @Lazybayer? Because i hear that a lot but can not find any guide/info about it on the net other than uniflash can do it.

I use the hotflash method (works also great) on a pentium1 motherboard for all 128kb and 256kb bioss files but what if i use a ethernet card in that same board, can i choose which chip uniflasher should read/use between the one on the motherboard and the one on the card?

asus tx97-e, 233mmx, voodoo1, s3 virge ,sb16
asus p5a, k6-3+ @ 550mhz, voodoo2 12mb sli, gf2 gts, awe32
asus p3b-f, p3-700, voodoo3 3500TV agp, awe64
asus tusl2-c, p3-S 1,4ghz, voodoo5 5500, live!
asus a7n8x DL, barton cpu, 6800ultra, Voodoo3 pci, audigy1

Reply 19 of 22, by lazibayer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
meljor wrote:

Could you make a small guide about how to do that exactly @Lazybayer? Because i hear that a lot but can not find any guide/info about it on the net other than uniflash can do it.

I use the hotflash method (works also great) on a pentium1 motherboard for all 128kb and 256kb bioss files but what if i use a ethernet card in that same board, can i choose which chip uniflasher should read/use between the one on the motherboard and the one on the card?

I use Flashrom for the job. They have detailed documentation for supported EEPROM chips, NIC cards, motherboards, video cards, etc.
The latest stable (ver. 0.9.9) DOS release can be found here. You also need to put CWSDPMI.EXE under the same folder.