VOGONS

First post, by buckeye

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm in ignorance here - CPU for server applications ok for gaming or whatever?

Next question: Would a socket 370 celeron 1.1ghz. work as an "high end" Win98 system?

Asus P5N-E Intel Core 2 Duo 3.33ghz. 4GB DDR2 Geforce 470 1GB SB X-Fi Titanium 650W XP SP3
Intel SE440BX P3 450 256MB 80GB SSD Asus V7700 GF2 64mb SB 32pnp 350W 98SE
MSI x570 Gaming Pro Carbon Ryzen 3700x 32GB DDR4 Zotac RTX 3070 8GB WD Black 1TB 850W

Reply 1 of 7, by lazibayer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
buckeye wrote:

I'm in ignorance here - CPU for server applications ok for gaming or whatever?

Next question: Would a socket 370 celeron 1.1ghz. work as an "high end" Win98 system?

Yes and yes.

Reply 2 of 7, by mrau

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

quite frankly kinda yes but a little no;
server cpu often have lower frequency - this may be important fir single threaded programs like old games;
server cpus often have more cache and server mainboards have beefy memory controllers - this might help, especially with bigger programs;
a celeron is not a server cpu and it is not really high powered, it will run win 98 quite well especially with a fast disk and plenty of memory (whopping 512mb or so ;p)
imho high end windows98 is highest powered 32bit cpus with overall beefy hardware; i do believe you might still see improvement with an athlon 64 or 64bit p4/pentium d or whatever;
just my 5 cents; You did not mention what abuse this baby will endure..?

Reply 3 of 7, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

There's 2 Celeron 1.1s...

The one blessed by angels that runs as if riding a unicorn in a sky full of rainbows is the Tualatin 1.1 or 1100 with 256KB of cache.

The one made out of satans toenail clippings after they passed through the digestive systems of hell's rats is the Coppermine 1.1 with 128KB of cache.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 4 of 7, by buckeye

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
BitWrangler wrote:

There's 2 Celeron 1.1s...

The one blessed by angels that runs as if riding a unicorn in a sky full of rainbows is the Tualatin 1.1 or 1100 with 256KB of cache.

The one made out of satans toenail clippings after they passed through the digestive systems of hell's rats is the Coppermine 1.1 with 128KB of cache.

It's the one derived from toenail clippings I'm afraid. Is the 128kb of cache the problem or the 100 FSB?

Asus P5N-E Intel Core 2 Duo 3.33ghz. 4GB DDR2 Geforce 470 1GB SB X-Fi Titanium 650W XP SP3
Intel SE440BX P3 450 256MB 80GB SSD Asus V7700 GF2 64mb SB 32pnp 350W 98SE
MSI x570 Gaming Pro Carbon Ryzen 3700x 32GB DDR4 Zotac RTX 3070 8GB WD Black 1TB 850W

Reply 5 of 7, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The cache mostly I guess, coppermine celerons tend to feel like something about 2/3 their speed. 1.1 is also the peak of coppermine yields so don't expect to overclock to compensate. Celerons seem to alternate like windows versions, good, awful, good, awful....

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 6 of 7, by kva

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
buckeye wrote:
BitWrangler wrote:

Is the 128kb of cache the problem or the 100 FSB?

In some programs the cache, in others the FSB, in many both...

But still, for Windows 98 it is a very fast CPU.

Celeron Tualatin vs Celeron Conroe at equal clocks
Pentium Pro 256k vs Pentium Pro 1M vs Pentium II Overdrive!
VIA C3 vs VIA C7

My website all about old hardware

Reply 7 of 7, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
kva wrote:

But still, for Windows 98 it is a very fast CPU.

True.