VOGONS

Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 19860 of 53040, by Gered

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
lazibayer wrote:

8 sticks forming 24M of RAM? Mmmm that's odd.

Yeah that seemed odd to me when I read the eBay auction originally.

Tn1hrESt.jpg

From my 30 second Google search, seems to be 32MB total (8x 4MB sticks).

That yellow label over the RAM is a pain to remove cleanly. Falls apart in little bits when removing it.

486DX2-66/16MB/S3 Trio32 VLB/SBPro2/GUS
P233 MMX/64MB/Voodoo2/Matrox/YMF719/GUS CD3
Duron 800/256MB/Savage4 Pro/SBLive (IN PROGRESS)
Toshiba 430CDT

Reply 19861 of 53040, by JidaiGeki

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Gered wrote:
Yeah that seemed odd to me when I read the eBay auction originally. […]
Show full quote
lazibayer wrote:

Yeah that seemed odd to me when I read the eBay auction originally.

Tn1hrESt.jpg

From my 30 second Google search, seems to be 32MB total (8x 4MB sticks).

That yellow label over the RAM is a pain to remove cleanly. Falls apart in little bits when removing it.

Some info on the RAM here: http://www.vcfed.org/forum/showthread.php?565 … d-on-eBay/page5

I was told these have a weird amount because back in the day when ram was scarce Eagle Memory used to combine what they can to make whatever they could so they could sell them. So they would use sticks with bad memory and only use the good parts of it.

Also, someone who bought one said their board booted, but complained of a low battery.

Reply 19862 of 53040, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
JidaiGeki wrote:

I was told these have a weird amount because back in the day when ram was scarce Eagle Memory used to combine what they can to make whatever they could so they could sell them. So they would use sticks with bad memory and only use the good parts of it.

Also, someone who bought one said their board booted, but complained of a low battery.

Oh crap, hope you remember which slot which stick came out of Gered ... it's probably mapped in the BIOS or some crap.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 19863 of 53040, by Cyrix200+

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
jheronimus wrote:
Got a really nice case today: […]
Show full quote

Got a really nice case today:

2017-11-01 01.37.27.jpg

I generally prefer desktop cases, but I always liked this particular design — sans the faux 3.5" floppy drive (I think it's silly, why would anyone do something like this?). I kind of hoped that I'll find a 386 of some kind inside, though. I know, a 40x CD-RW drive is a good sign that the system was upgraded, but I have actually seen 386DX40 systems even with 52x CD drives before — and I don't know what people actually did with them. Anyways, this system was heavily upgraded by its owner:

2017-11-01 01.38.11.jpg

It's a Gigabyte GA-586TX2 motherboard, with a Matrox Millenium videocard, a boxed Socket 7 Pentium of some kind and some cheap Realtek-based NIC. No sound, unfortunately. Well, it's a disappointment (no 386), but still a nice board. And 8 bucks for this case isn't bad, either, methinks. I think I'll eventually rebuild it around some of the 386 hardware that I have.

I will keep saying it, I love that case design and the fake floppy too! 😀

1982 to 2001

Reply 19864 of 53040, by Cyrix200+

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Deksor wrote:
Got this for 60€ today : […]
Show full quote

Got this for 60€ today :

<snip>

A 12MHz 286 with ... an EGA monitor ! sweet ! And that monitor supports anything older than VGA (and even VGA I guess since a sticker on the back says that it supports "PS/2")

Inside of it there's a 40MB MFM HDD
<snip>
as well as this EGA video card :

<snip>
60€ if more than what I'm willing to pay usually, but since I've never seen an EGA monitor before and it wasn't too expensive, I think that was worth it.

<snip>
The mobo seem to support up to 4MB of ram, but at the moment it only has 1MB. Upgrading the RAM will probably be a pain since I need to replace every single chip ^^

Another really good thing about that mobo : it has a DALLAS battery chip, so no battery leakage here. Some people here doesn't seem to like them much here, but prefer drilling into a chip and add a battery holder to it rather than trying (and failing everytime) at repairing a mobo that was damaged by battery leakage

Nice system! The Dallas is annoying to deal with, but it will never damage the hardware so that is a big plus in the end!

1982 to 2001

Reply 19865 of 53040, by Cyrix200+

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Gered wrote:
So, I bought one of those NOS 486 motherboards (G486SVL) that was linked in the eBay auction thread a week or so ago. I didn't r […]
Show full quote

So, I bought one of those NOS 486 motherboards (G486SVL) that was linked in the eBay auction thread a week or so ago. I didn't really need it, but the price was great and how often do you find this kind of old stuff "new". It arrived today and looks all good to me so far. The motherboard was still sealed in the anti-static bag. It's kind of strange to me to see an old motherboard like this glisten in the light in this way and have a very distinctive "new" smell. Haha.

No manual or anything like that. Came with one plastic standoff and a test results sheet filled out in 1993.

I probably won't have time in the next few days to give it a test drive. And at any rate I want to replace the TH1287 chip with a socket + new chip if I can get a suitable replacement. I'm assuming after 23 years that the battery is probably dead or close to it, but we'll see soon enough.

<snip>

That looks nice. The memory situation is a bit messy, I hope it isn't somehow mapped in the BIOS like someone said. I think I found the auction, but they are all gone. There still is a batch without the memory (from the same seller) here, but the international shipping costs ruin it for me 🙁

EDIT: also, what is the small PCB on the top right, some sort of clock generator?

1982 to 2001

Reply 19866 of 53040, by Imperious

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
brostenen wrote:
That might be. Yet I avoid having to source 23-Pin male plug, case, cable's, power supply and all other stuff. Plus I will be ge […]
Show full quote
Imperious wrote:
brostenen wrote:

This thing.... To use with old systems of various kinds. Will see how it goes and performs with Amiga600 and Playstation2.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Amiga-Scandoubler-Fl … t8AAOSwVFZZdIJy

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but it looks like You just payed a lot of money for a GBS8200 in a box.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/New-RGB-CGA-EGA-Y … cEAAOSw1DtXF5yQ

That might be. Yet I avoid having to source 23-Pin male plug, case, cable's, power supply and all other stuff.
Plus I will be getting it fully assembled. The best part is that I do not have to source that 23-pin adaptor.
In other words... I do not really see why this is so expensive as you say, taking these things in account.

I did check the contents before posting, as in "what you get" and it doesn't mention the cable comes with it. Hopefully it does.
I guess by the time You've added a case and decent power supply, and hopefully a 23 pin cable, and labour, then the cost is alright.

I actually hacked a 25 pin into a 23 by filing down one end, and amazingly my Dell 2412 monitor actually works with the signal from my A500, but it is a bit ugly,
the GBS8200 does a better job after adjustments.

Atari 2600, TI994a, Vic20, c64, ZX Spectrum 128, Amstrad CPC464, Atari 65XE, Commodore Plus/4, Amiga 500
PC's from XT 8088, 486, Pentium MMX, K6, Athlon, P3, P4, 775, to current Ryzen 5600x.

Reply 19867 of 53040, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
lazibayer wrote:

4x 4 mb + 4x 2 mb = 24. What's odd about that? (yes, there were 2 mb SIMMs, even in PS/2 form, which is more odd 😉 )

Reply 19868 of 53040, by Nvm1

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Anonymous Coward wrote:
I just bought another Number 9 "9FX" Motion 771 VLB card. https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-fK3LodD4NAw/U2RFvR-QBJI/AAAAAAAAEkE […]
Show full quote

I just bought another Number 9 "9FX" Motion 771 VLB card.
9fx.jpg

This one only has 2MB, but I'm going to attempt to solder on the extra chips on the reverse side. I'll probably either keep it as a backup in case my other fails, or perhaps attempt to trade it for something of equal value.

Where the hell do you find those so easily. I have been searching for one for atleast 3 years now with no luck. (there was one offered on eBay for 249 dollar ex shipping which is not what I want to pay for it tho).
I found myself Lucky that I found a Miro 20SD for a good price (S3-864 with 2mb) but I never found the 968.. 😐

Reply 19870 of 53040, by Gered

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
BitWrangler wrote:

Oh crap, hope you remember which slot which stick came out of Gered ... it's probably mapped in the BIOS or some crap.

Yup, I kept the original order. As soon as I saw the warning message on the back of each stick about how they will "only work on Eagle motherboards" I figured there is bound to be some weirdness going on. Hope that's not the case of course, but I am keeping my expectations low for now.

486DX2-66/16MB/S3 Trio32 VLB/SBPro2/GUS
P233 MMX/64MB/Voodoo2/Matrox/YMF719/GUS CD3
Duron 800/256MB/Savage4 Pro/SBLive (IN PROGRESS)
Toshiba 430CDT

Reply 19871 of 53040, by Batyra

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

My collection was missing theese two. Just bought them.

Roland MT-32 (new version) + manual and original EU power supply

MT-32.JPG
Filename
MT-32.JPG
File size
87.76 KiB
Views
File comment
Roland MT-32 (sellers photo)
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Roland SSC-1 with cables

SSC-1.JPG
Filename
SSC-1.JPG
File size
113.43 KiB
Views
File comment
Roland SSC-1 (sellers photo)
File license

Visit my website: http://www.collection.batyra.pl

Reply 19873 of 53040, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I grabbed this nifty lot on eBay after talking to a nice guy about some other parts he had listed:

Chaintech 7NJL6 Nforce 2 Ultra 400 board + 1.5GB DDR, Dead Athlon XP 3000+, Copper cooler (board has MCP-S with integrated SATA but no Soundstorm... sadly the 3000+ die was cracked pretty severely and a 1GB stick of RAM was bad)
Asus A7V-VM (oem KT133 board... not KT133A...nothing fancy)
Asus A7V8X-LA + Sempron 3000+, 1.5GB DDR, Nice cooler (OEM KT400, Sempron looks okay)
2x Geforce 4 MX 420\440 cards (not sure which yet... will have to check them)
2x Diamond Radeon X1650 256MB AGP cards (Both BRAND NEW. He said he had the boxes but had thrown them away!)
2x MFM hard drive controllers, both came in antistatic bags and looked brand new (one WD1004-27X, one WDXT-Gen2... they look very similar to the one in my IBM 5150)
Misc ISA cards (Floppy+IDE, Opti sound, IDE+Floppy+Serial+Parallel+PS2 card... neat)

Got it all for $40 shipped, which seems very reasonable. The stuff may or may not work, so its going to take some time to see what I really have here, but those Radeons and the Chaintech board were quite nice. The rest was a bonus.

EDIT: Just tested the Chaintech board with the Sempron 3000+ and it seems to be working. Socket A Semprons were every bit as good as their Athlon XP counterparts, they just had a different numbering scheme. This 2Ghz 512KB cache monster should fit this board well. 🤣 Oh, and the "Ultra" brand copper based cooler is insanely loud. Reminds me of the Globalwin my brother had on his 2100+ back in the day.

Attachments

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 19874 of 53040, by shiva2004

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Ozzuneoj wrote:

EDIT: Just tested the Chaintech board with the Sempron 3000+ and it seems to be working. Socket A Semprons were every bit as good as their Athlon XP counterparts, they just had a different numbering scheme. This 2Ghz 512KB cache monster should fit this board well. 🤣 Oh, and the "Ultra" brand copper based cooler is insanely loud. Reminds me of the Globalwin my brother had on his 2100+ back in the day.

Yeah, I suffered for a long time a "high end" socket A cooler, most of them are just big chunks of aluminium with insanely high RPM fans on top (mine was around 5000rpm if I remember well and even then the CPU reached more than 50ºC when pushed).

Reply 19875 of 53040, by Batyra

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The postman just brought me new Tseng for my collection. ET6100 by Cardex.

Now I'm desperately looking for memories for it. Does anyone of you know where I can get them 😉 ?

Batyra_TsengET1000.jpg
Filename
Batyra_TsengET1000.jpg
File size
277.91 KiB
Views
File comment
ET6100 by Cardex
File license

Visit my website: http://www.collection.batyra.pl

Reply 19878 of 53040, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The last time I saw these chips sold, they were almost as expensive as the complete card it self. Not sure how much you've payed for ET6100, but chips were sold for more then 10€ per piece. And you have to find exact match - only if you replace all four.

Requests are also possible... /msg kixs

Reply 19879 of 53040, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I could be mistaken, but I don't believe the chips on the ET6000 cards are quite the same as the ones on the ET6100. I think the 6100s require faster chips.
Check the part numbers on the chips you already have. I have some chips for an ET6000, and there is a slim chance they may be compatible.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium