VOGONS

First post, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I received this SIMM in the mail today, and it has a strange repair done to it. Appears to be a stripe of metal under the chipse glued in place with what seems to be some kind of superglue on top?

med_gallery_60983_11505_11794.jpg

Is anyone familiar with this and what does this do?

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 2 of 8, by Kubik

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The image is too small and blurry to find out what exactly was done to those SIMMs. I'm guessing this is mod for some sort of not-so-standard computer 😀 I've done something similar to 30pin SIMMs to make them work in IBM PS/2.

Reply 6 of 8, by Cyberdyne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This appears to be a interference shield, not a bridge or a repair.

I am aroused about any X86 motherboard that has full functional ISA slot. I think i have problem. Not really into that original (Turbo) XT,286,386 and CGA/EGA stuff. So just a DOS nut.
PS. If I upload RAR, it is a 16-bit DOS RAR Version 2.50.

Reply 7 of 8, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Cyberdyne wrote:

This appears to be a interference shield, not a bridge or a repair.

You learn something new everyday! What kind of interference does it protect the RAM against? Was EM fields corrupting data in memory a thing? I know old computers had interference shields covering them all over, but I thought this stopped being an issue on its own at some point?

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 8 of 8, by Cyrix200+

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks you for the new pictures. It is still a weird thing. Interference shield might be an option, I have just never seen it before.

1982 to 2001