VOGONS

First post, by maverick21

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi guys,
I've bought me a new Maestro 32/96 for my retro-rig and ran into some trouble. My machine shows the card as an PnP Device on startup but when the driver is loaded during dos-startup the card gives me a terrible (and VERY load) distorsion noise. If I mute the GS-Synth the noise goes away, but obviously then there is no MIDI sound. The standard sounds are working kind of normal. I've tried the win3.1 drivers, installed in win3.1 and again installed from dos itself (terratec.exe and also m3296.exe). And I've tried the 2.50b driver under win98se (on another harddrive, so no interference between the installations is possible). Is the card damaged or am I missing something?
When I use the diagnose screen in the dos-utility the cards passes every point. But when I chose "test" on the gs-synth all hell brakes loose 😉

I bought it at a dealer for retro hardware and it should be tested due to the description given - and I've bought other cards there, working.

Does anyone of you has any kind of idea what I could try? Thanks Thomas

retro-rig1.jpg retro-rig2.jpg retro-rig3.jpg

Reply 1 of 2, by JidaiGeki

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hey Thomas,

It's not exactly the same problem, but these cards do have a specific problem with one capacitor that may need to be changed. Have a read of this topic:

Re: terratec maestro 32/96 - train wreck installation.

and

http://terratec.ultron.info/Audio/Maestro/329 … fikation_GB.pdf

I've got one of these which is awaiting replacement of not just the one capacitor that needs replacing, but several other capacitors have also leaked 🙁

Reply 2 of 2, by maverick21

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for you replay. I saw that topic yesterday and looked at my capacitors but - at least at first sight - they look decent. Because I bought the card at a shop I'll send it back and ask for cash-return or another card instead of soldering it by myself. Hopefully I can get my hands on an already repaired or stil working one next time.

retro-rig1.jpg retro-rig2.jpg retro-rig3.jpg