VOGONS

Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 20720 of 52692, by moturimi1

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Cool an ensoniq soundscape DB mith 2 MB Sound ROM.
i always asked myself if it is possible to use the EEPROM firmware of this board to run it on the aztech wavepower which has the very same chipsets and wavetable Rom. Unfortunately I do not have the firmware.

Reply 20721 of 52692, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Got this in the mail today. It will do nice in my next 486 build. That will be a 486dx33 based build, with only ISA slots.
Now wait a minute some might say.... Active cooling on a dx33? Well yes. Even the 486dx33 runs hot.
Shure it does not require cooling at all. It's just me, who likes to add cooling when something becomes hot.
Better be on the safe side, with parts that are this old. I just like it to run as long time as possible.

486-Cooler.jpg
Filename
486-Cooler.jpg
File size
609.28 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 20722 of 52692, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Here's a small 486 haul. Grabbed these for $30, all of them sold as is, unconfirmed to work, so it will be fun to see if they all work.

Octek_Hippo_VL_DCA.jpg
Octek Hippo VL+ DCA Motherboard

This one had a leaking battery which I removed. The battery had caused a lot of surface corrosion, I rubbed most of that away with vinegar then soap, it doesn't look as good as new but it does look like it shouldn't have problems.

There was, however another issue. This board was probably not well stored, so when I checked the chipset ICs (a habit I have from checking 3dfx cards) I saw that some legs had been mashed together into contact. I carefully parted these with a sharp modelling knife, and it looks like they are still soldered to the PCB and unsevered.

Octek_Hippo_VL_DCA_Chipset_Damage.jpg

The board came with this CPU:

Intel_486_DX2-66_Overdrive.jpg
Intel 486 DX2-66 Overdrive

As well as 8MB 30-pin RAM but I can not know whether it's EDRAM or just normal SIMMs, they are labelled ZMD MM 108-60 on the back, no referenca to EDRAM anywhere, so likely regular SIMMs.

I also bought this CPU because why not, I love UMC.

UMC_U5_S-_SUPER33.jpg
UMC U5S-SUPER33

And the seller was kind enough to add this to the lot:

AMD_Am486_DX2-66.jpg
AMD Am486 DX2-66

As well as a User's Manual for one Wearness BusinessStation 386/486 PC, which will be my toilet/bedtime reading for some time 😊

Last edited by appiah4 on 2017-12-13, 06:16. Edited 1 time in total.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 20723 of 52692, by easy_john

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
appiah4 wrote:

Here's a small 486 haul.

Your images not displayed, until I enable scripts from bolterandchainsword.com domain. (I use noscript plugin for firefox)

Pentium2 450/256mb/4gb/ati rage 128+voodoo2/SB awe32 8mb+db50xg/GUS PnP 8mb/TB Tropez 2mb
486 DX2-66/32mb/8gb/tseng4000 2mb/SB 16+WB/GUS 1mb/LAPC-I
286 12mhz/4mb/512mb/Vga 1mb/SB 2.0+Covox
PegasosII G4 / Amiga 4000 / Amiga1200 / Amiga 600

Reply 20725 of 52692, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
appiah4 wrote:

Sorry, time to find a new image host.

You can post the images directly on this forum.

Upload and then "place inline".

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 20726 of 52692, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
appiah4 wrote:

postimage.org works great! Direct image link and thumbnail support direct with BB code.

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 20727 of 52692, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
vetz wrote:
appiah4 wrote:

postimage.org works great! Direct image link and thumbnail support direct with BB code.

Updated with postimage, so now with even higher resolution photos. 😀

Reply 20728 of 52692, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Oops.

CameraZOOM-20171212213427573.jpg
Filename
File size
218.39 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Ah well, never had one of these before. 😜

Fairly standard 2+ with only a floppy controller and "language board" (aka 64k expansion) installed. Was really really hoping for a Mockingboard, but can't get lucky all the time. It doesn't work, but it really, really wants to; I'll post a fix-it thread over on VCF.

It also came with four 72-pin SIMMs in the bottom of the box, for some reason. The 11" Amdek green screen is pretty cute.

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 20729 of 52692, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

oshit. an actual apple ii+

those things fetch a pretty penny online! Like car payment level of money. I recently got Apple ii's myself. They are surprisingly fun machines.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 20730 of 52692, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
xjas wrote:
Oops. […]
Show full quote

Oops.

Fairly standard 2+ with only a floppy controller and "language board" (aka 64k expansion) installed. Was really really hoping for a Mockingboard, but can't get lucky all the time. It doesn't work, but it really, really wants to; I'll post a fix-it thread over on VCF.

It also came with four 72-pin SIMMs in the bottom of the box, for some reason. The 11" Amdek green screen is pretty cute.

Who's the DJ? I see that in the background. 😉

Reply 20731 of 52692, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Second batch of the week came in, and with that I blew away the budget for December. (Who am I kidding?

Gigabyte_GA-_BX2000.jpg
Gigabyte GA-BX2000 This is supposed to be one of the best Slot 1 Coppermine boards IIRC? It has a few swollen caps that I will have replaced right away.

Intel_Pentium_III_550.jpg
Intel PIII-550 Katmai This one came with the mainboard. I have more than too many Slot 1 CPUs but, oh well.

Inno3_D_Tornado_TNT2_M64.jpg
Inno3D Tornado TNT2 M64 The seller added this in as a bonus and I agreed since I previously had no TNT cards.

Reply 20732 of 52692, by FesterBlatz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I love those Amdek monitors. I have the 310A amber phosphor TTL version of that still like-new in the box. I drag it out sometimes when I feel the need to tinker with some of my XT class machines.

xjas wrote:
Oops. […]
Show full quote

Oops.

Reply 20733 of 52692, by looking4awayout

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I haven't found any way to work around the lack of support for serial mice in the safe mode of Windows XP. So, for the peace of mind and to avoid issues with potential future multiboots with other OSes, I decided to go the PS/2 route and bought this:

9K2YJTl.jpg

It's a Logitech Series/2 mouse, from 1987. Apparently it's the first aftermarket PS/2 mouse ever, at least according to Logitech, and it's not as yellow as it seems (just poor lighting). Aesthetic wise it's just a two buttoned C7 with the PS/2 protocol. It's untested so I'm not sure if it actually works, but if it does, I'll have much more compatibility than the serial mouse. It's a bit of a shame though, since PS/2 mice slightly slow the boot of XP down, although it's not that noticeable, but at least it will work in safe mode since you never know when you're going to need it.

I also bought a new 512MB PC133 module, since the 1GB ECC sticks aren't supported by my motherboard (each slot supports 512MB maximum of each ECC stick). You can't always win, they say.

My Retro Daily Driver: Pentium !!!-S 1.7GHz | 3GB PC166 ECC SDRAM | Geforce 6800 Ultra 256MB | 128GB Lite-On SSD + 500GB WD Blue SSD | ESS Allegro PCI | Windows XP Professional SP3

Reply 20735 of 52692, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
looking4awayout wrote:
I haven't found any way to work around the lack of support for serial mice in the safe mode of Windows XP. So, for the peace of […]
Show full quote

I haven't found any way to work around the lack of support for serial mice in the safe mode of Windows XP. So, for the peace of mind and to avoid issues with potential future multiboots with other OSes, I decided to go the PS/2 route and bought this:

9K2YJTl.jpg

It's a Logitech Series/2 mouse, from 1987. Apparently it's the first aftermarket PS/2 mouse ever, at least according to Logitech, and it's not as yellow as it seems (just poor lighting). Aesthetic wise it's just a two buttoned C7 with the PS/2 protocol. It's untested so I'm not sure if it actually works, but if it does, I'll have much more compatibility than the serial mouse. It's a bit of a shame though, since PS/2 mice slightly slow the boot of XP down, although it's not that noticeable, but at least it will work in safe mode since you never know when you're going to need it.

I also bought a new 512MB PC133 module, since the 1GB ECC sticks aren't supported by my motherboard (each slot supports 512MB maximum of each ECC stick). You can't always win, they say.

Speaking of motherboards that don't support memory modules higher than the specifications the board supports, I had a Compaq Presario 6300US desktop (ASUS board) that supported 2x 256MB PC-133 RAM, which sucked (Intel chip-sets).

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 20736 of 52692, by looking4awayout

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Most likely it had the 440ZX chipset, that supports only Celerons. That one's the worst of the bunch, being aimed at the low end market. I have read that some motherboards at least with the VIA Apollo Pro 133A/T chipsets can support more than 1,5GB of RAM, but depends by the motherboard manufacturer. My QDI Advance 10T sadly, won't support more than 512MB per slot.

The Intel 440GX instead can support 1GB or even more, but so far I haven't found a GX motherboard anywhere.

My Retro Daily Driver: Pentium !!!-S 1.7GHz | 3GB PC166 ECC SDRAM | Geforce 6800 Ultra 256MB | 128GB Lite-On SSD + 500GB WD Blue SSD | ESS Allegro PCI | Windows XP Professional SP3

Reply 20738 of 52692, by vladstamate

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ohh!! Give us the inventory! There must be some gems in there.

YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7HbC_nq8t1S9l7qGYL0mTA
Collection: http://www.digiloguemuseum.com/index.html
Emulator: https://sites.google.com/site/capex86/
Raytracer: https://sites.google.com/site/opaqueraytracer/

Reply 20739 of 52692, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Already did a quick check and there are some very cool cards included. About 10 sound cards (SB Live!, Audigy2, ALS4000, Mozart OPL3, to name a few), also two Mystique cards, and some late, powerful AGP cards. Sadly, many cards have serve damage due to the completely inadequate shipping. Bend slot brackets and parted caps mostly, which can be fixed easily, however.