Rank Newbie
Rank

They seem to still be going for over $100

Reply 1 of 12, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

A little FYI, necroposting is generally frowned upon. Often the discussion has moved on, and original thread participants are sometimes not involved in the community anymore. With few exceptions, it's generally better practice to start another thread and begin the conversation anew (referencing the old thread if you wish).

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 2 of 12, by martin939

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
p24t wrote:

They seem to still be going for over $100

And those prices will never drop, only rise. High end retro PC hardware is a great investment. Just look at the prices Pentium Pro's and Voodoo cards go for.

Reply 3 of 12, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Prices will never go down, eh? Haven't heard that one before.

I'll tell you when prices go down...when the next major recession hits, your vintage hardware will be worth close to nothing.

BTW I still think you can get an AWE64 Gold for under $40 if you try hard enough.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 4 of 12, by martin939

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

They will never ever go down in prices, even in recession, it's the same as with old (sport)cars and the main reason is scarcity - that hardware hasn't been made in ages and it won't be made again - they get more and more rare every day.
Times when old 386/486/pentium/II/III hardware was seen as old junk and simply thrown away are long gone 😎

Reply 5 of 12, by Pabloz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

i bought it for 30 dollars, because it is a collectors item.

for games that have awe32 support on their config it is a great card
for older games that dont have awe32 support, it is a bad choice. For older games its better to get a SB16

i was playing some old games on DOS and i noticed the sound was not as it used to be.

there is a nice video in youtube of doom and how it souds on many soundcard models, and SB16 was my choice because it was how i remembered it.

Reply 6 of 12, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I got my CT4390 Gold! from a computer I curb-shopped years ago.

Since then I think I have collected all AWE64 cards but the CT4540, the AWE64D/PCI and the ones that don't support a memory upgrade.

The Gold! cards are generally crazy priced on eBay.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 7 of 12, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
gdjacobs wrote:

A little FYI, necroposting is generally frowned upon. Often the discussion has moved on, and original thread participants are sometimes not involved in the community anymore. With few exceptions, it's generally better practice to start another thread and begin the conversation anew (referencing the old thread if you wish).

+1

And we're still banging on about prices after that whole eBay thread drama? What's the point? Just be a man about it already internet.

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 8 of 12, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I was lucky to get my Gold's locally, before the vintage price craze came to my country. A bit like the black death spreaded some 600 years ago. It started south and eventually came to Denmark. 🤣

Yeah...
I guess prices will go down in some parts of the world, though on ebay? I don't think it will. It might stagnate or stop going up, untill there will only be a very few examples for sale worldwide. Standard stuff like non wavetable cards with opl chips might start dropping in prices, once XP era are the new stuff people used to be brought up on. I mean.. Once people that were born around 99/00 turns some 35/40 and have had children and have a nice job. Then we, the old farts, will start see prices on XP stuff go up and mid range DOS stuff will drop because the seller want to get rid the stock in order for space for that new frontier of high priced hardware.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 9 of 12, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
martin939 wrote:

And those prices will never drop, only rise. High end retro PC hardware is a great investment. Just look at the prices Pentium Pro's and Voodoo cards go for.

Apart from the Voodoo5 and mint boxed ones, Voodoo cards aren't expensive at all. You can easily get a Voodoo 1 for 10-15 bucks, most others are between 20-30, only the more sought-after ones are up to 50 bucks.

Pentium Pro's sell for about 20 bucks here in Germany (gold cap versions).

Maybe "expensive" is very relative; just make sure you never take buy-it-now prices into account, since these are offers, not sales.

Reply 10 of 12, by Pabloz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

i was also able to get an AWE32 very cheap, a CT3600
but i dont like it. as soon as i play DOOM1 seconds after i notice the hanging note bug. awfull experience.
and i can hear it very clearly. Since i got it very cheap with a full pc, its ok, but if i had to pay a lot to get this card i would be very dissapointed and i would regret on paying for it.

i know the bug is only for certain games i belive and doom is one of them....but Doom is THE retro stuff that you can´t avoid.

Reply 11 of 12, by carlostex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

100 green ones for an AWE64 Gold? Shit i'm gonna sell mine... I wonder how much my AWE32 CT2760 is worth then! In the mean time i'll sell my boxed Gravis Ultrasound MAX for 300, and wonder how much more i would have to sell to get an AdLib Gold.

Seriously i got my AWE64 Gold in mint condition in an auction on german eBay for 9 something Euros shipped! The seller didn't accept PayPal, only Bank Transfer so i guess that's why i got it so cheap! I might spend some more time searching german eBay.