AWE32 & IDE/ATAPI CDROM

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 44, by chrisNova777

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

ok i downloaded the files onto a 3.5" diskette and
when i try to run the setup program it runs "Win Setup.exe" and tries to launch the app inside of windows??
then an error pops up says its expecting a diff version of windows?

i think i have dos 6.0 + win 3.1 installed..
is this intended for win95 only?

i guess im not supposed to run the setup.exe at all then? and just copy the sbide.sys file and make those edits to the autoexec.bat + config.sys

http://www.oldschooldaw.com | vintage PC/MAC MIDI/DAW | Asus mobo archive | Sound Modules | Vintage MIDI Interfaces
AM386DX40 | Asus VL/I-486SV2GX4 (486DX2-80) | GA586VX (p75) + r7000PCI | ABIT Be6 (pII-233) matroxG400 AGP

Reply 22 of 44, by chrisNova777

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

it doesnt find the drives..
always i get no drives! aborting installation

http://www.oldschooldaw.com | vintage PC/MAC MIDI/DAW | Asus mobo archive | Sound Modules | Vintage MIDI Interfaces
AM386DX40 | Asus VL/I-486SV2GX4 (486DX2-80) | GA586VX (p75) + r7000PCI | ABIT Be6 (pII-233) matroxG400 AGP

Reply 23 of 44, by chrisNova777

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

i could really use some wisdom + assistance here
someone needs to make an instructional informative video on this subject on youtube!!
no matter what i do i cant get my controller to see a second HD or cdrom or zip drive so im gonna guess that my winbond isa controller only supports 1 single drive even though the 1992 ami bios clearly supports a C: + D: drive (with no mention of CDrom/atapi anywhere!)

i think my controller is single channel
and i think none of the CDroms i have are compatible with whatever the SB32 PNP card's IDE Interface is/was - or im using the wrong cd .sys driver>??
i was trying with SBIDE.SYS - but it does not see any drives each time i boot

Reply 24 of 44, by chrisNova777

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

http://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/IDE_controller

this chart seems to indicate that the SB32 PNP's IDE should accept any IDE interface/? because it says ide2 true ide3 true ide4 true?
Creative Sound Blaster 32 PnP ISA 16-bit 8 MHz 1 true true true false

are these not different levels of ATA support?

why cant i get this thing to see any of my cdroms??
i always get NO Drives found

im trying using SBIDE.SYS do i need to use a different .sYS file?

Reply 25 of 44, by AlaricD

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
chrisNova777 wrote:

when i try to run the install.exe it comes up with a message saying theres not enough rAM! i have 8mb of ram installed

It may have said there's not enough conventional memory, not RAM in general.

i always get NO Drives found

The CT3600 is PnP; you'll need to use CTCM to configure the card. If you haven't, all you can do is just try the various port/IRQ settings on SBIDE.SYS and see if the card's interface is responding at one of them.

What do you have for your SBIDE.SYS line in CONFIG.SYS?

"The Big Bang. The ultimate hero of low frequency. The divine intergalactical bass drum connecting the tribes of our solar system."
Yello
"Solar Driftwood"

Reply 26 of 44, by Gahhhrrrlic

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Make the modifications suggested by Ltsyrek but if that driver doesn't work, try UDVD2. I found that after trying dozens of so called universal drivers, none of which worked, UDVD2 did. It's a great driver IMO.

https://hubpages.com/technology/How-to-Maximi … -Retro-Computer

Reply 27 of 44, by chrisNova777

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

i think the reason i had problems was a low conventional memory problem related to the fact the drive had "dblspace" on it.. as well as because of the 120mb hard drive degrading..
im using a compactFlash 512mb now, and reinstalling frm scratch

still no luck with the cdrom attached to the sb32pnp tho

Reply 28 of 44, by AlaricD

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
chrisNova777 wrote:

still no luck with the cdrom attached to the sb32pnp tho

still haven't told us what your SBIDE.SYS line in your CONFIG.SYS looks like tho

You could try adding multiple SBIDE.SYS lines to your CONFIG.SYS:

DEVICE=path\sbide.sys /D:MSCD001 /P:170,15,3f6
DEVICE=path\sbide.sys /D:MSCD002 /P:1E8,11,3EE
DEVICE=path\sbide.sys /D:MSCD003 /P:1E8,12,3EE
DEVICE=path\sbide.sys /D:MSCD004 /P:168,10,36E
DEVICE=path\sbide.sys /D:MSCD005 /P:168,11,36E

and seeing which one 'hits', but still-- that's a PnP card and may need to be configured with CTCM. In AUTOEXEC.BAT have the MSCDEX line look like this:

C:\path\mscdex.exe /D:MSCD001 /D:MSCD002 /D:MSCD003 /D:MSCD004 /D:MSCD005

Once you determine which SBIDE.SYS line is reliably hitting (the i/o port and IRQ of that interface *might* change at random) then you can REM the non-hitters out and pare down the MSCDEX.EXE line.

On the data cable, of course, check the red stripe goes to PIN1 on each end!

"The Big Bang. The ultimate hero of low frequency. The divine intergalactical bass drum connecting the tribes of our solar system."
Yello
"Solar Driftwood"

Reply 29 of 44, by chrisNova777

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

thanks for the tips..
ive tried all those things tho.

does anyone have any explicit information on what type of drives the SB32 PNP is compatible with?

ive pretty much given up trying to get a cd hooked up to the AWE because of lack of information on this topic
i wrote to philscomputerlab + a few other people online urging them to do a video on this topic
because of the lack of info online... it really sucks (this really sucks)

anyway
i will try to find another EIDE controller that has documentation + explicitly says that it supports ATAPI devices aswell
there seems to be a few of them to choose from

but ive had no success trying to get anything to recognize off this ide interface on this stupid SB32PNP
i have made floppies for all the AWE32 install disks now.. (pain in the ass) and i got the card installed, i got WFW 3.11 reinstalled.. i got dos 6.22 reinstalled.. but no luck with SBIDE.sys at all. ive used CTCU, it updates my autoexec/config sys everytime i try to show the different address/interupt settings but its always "no drives found, aborting installation" everytime i boot. or it says the interface card is not ready on SBCD01 or whatever. i think its because ive used installers that are for the AWE32s cd interface rather then the SB32... or something.. either way. its not working out

Reply 30 of 44, by CkRtech

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

What options did CTCU give you as far as setting up your IDE resources? Where are your utilities saved (C:\SB16? C:\CTCM?) Check your CTPNP.CFG file in the appropriate place for the IDE resources you are using. Make sure CTCU doesn't report conflicts. When you know the resources and they initialize properly, check your parameters for SBIDE.SYS to make sure they match.

I did once hook up a 50X CD-ROM drive to a sound card (ALS100) IDE port and it did not work. I swapped it for an older 4x drive, and that worked. So I suppose it is possible that your drive just won't work despite proper configuration of your soundcard.

Displaced Gamers (YouTube) - DOS Gaming Aspect Ratio - 320x200 || The History of 240p || Dithering on the Sega Genesis with Composite Video

Reply 31 of 44, by Ltsyrek

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yesterday I finally connected DVD+ROM drive to Yamaha OPL3-SAx.
Here' s what have I done:
-set drive to master and connect
- this card does not have jumpers, so I initialized IDE using SETUPSA. I set IRQ to 11 and port to 1E8. The setup program modified my config.sys and added a line:
DEVICEHIGH=SACDROM.SYS /P1E8 /I11
- next, i added universal VIDE-CDD.SYS CD-ROM driver:
DEVICEHIGH=VIDE-CDD.SYS /D:MSCD000 /P:1E8,11
- for some reason drive was detected by VIDE-CDD.SYS but not seen by SHSUCDX or MSCDEX, so I added another driver in config.sys:
DEVICEHIGH=GSCDROM.SYS /D:MSCD000 /V
- I tried SHSUCDX and MSCDEX drivers, both worked, and SHSUCDX was eating less memory, so I used it in autoexec.bat:
LH SHSUCDX /D:MSCD000 /V /M:20 /E /R
All of these three drivers must be loaded in this order. That is quite a bit of driver sandwich here, but it works. Takes ~35KB RAM.
Maybe this SBIDE.SYS is also only an "IDE enabler", not CD-driver? You can try this driver combo (just keep the order and replace SACDROM.SYS to SBIDE.SYS) with such settings. If there are IRQ and port jumpers on your soundcard, set them accordingly to your config.sys parameters.

Reply 32 of 44, by AlaricD

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Ltsyrek wrote:

Maybe this SBIDE.SYS is also only an "IDE enabler", not CD-driver?

It's a CD-ROM driver.

Yello
"Solar Driftwood"

Reply 33 of 44, by chrisNova777

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

i really wish someone skilled + knowledged in this area can make a youtube video or author some content somewhere online that outlines the differences in CD-ROMS/DVD-ROMS and their compatibility for 386/486 AT ISA computers!
im trying to dig through PC Magazine back issues from the 1990s to re-wrap my head around it.

i know there was first a bunch of 1x + 2x Proprietary cdroms that worked with neither IDE or ATAPI but rather something similar to company-specific version of SCSI over an IDE cable...

i think my problem is probably that i dont have any ATAPI compatible controllers in either of my x86/AT systems
but even that point could be clearly pointed out in such an info source to educate people like me fumbling around in the dark with trying to get my vintage AT systems equipped with CDROM + ZIP 100 compatibility!

Reply 34 of 44, by chrisNova777

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

should i be focusing on finding an older cdrom maybe?
the oldest one i think i have says dec 1996

http://www.oldschooldaw.com/forums/index.php/ … 01.html#msg6401
i just did some research re: cdrom speeds and i guess if it was made in dec 1996 it might be any speed
up to around 12x? or under?

is it possible the SB32 PNP can only see CDROMS that of a certain speed?
i think quad 4x was the fastest speed available in 1994 when the sb32 pnp was manufactured
6x came out in the summer of 1995
8x came out at the end of 1995

Mitsubishi / Matsushita CR-584-B
this is my oldest drive from dec 1996 has to be a 8x or 12x cdrom?
should it be compatible?? can it do compatibility with 4x interface?
(like how AGP cards are downward compatible from 8x to 2x? )
which driver would i use
heres my cdrom timeline i made doing research just now:

1991 > 1x? 1992 > 2x? Nov 1993 > 3x Jan 1994 > 4x June 1995 > 6x late 1995 > 8x nov 1996 > 12× feb 1997 > 16x apr 1997 > 24x […]
Show full quote

1991 > 1x?
1992 > 2x?
Nov 1993 > 3x
Jan 1994 > 4x
June 1995 > 6x
late 1995 > 8x
nov 1996 > 12×
feb 1997 > 16x
apr 1997 > 24x
mar 1998 > 32x
Jan 1999 > 48x
Nov 2000 > 52x

what speed cdrom will my sb32pnp accept?

Reply 35 of 44, by AlaricD

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

While the interface might not be able to get the full speed of a faster CD-ROM drive, it's still an ATAPI drive and should be recognized. I suppose it doesn't hurt to try a slower speed drive.

Are you getting sound from that SB32? That could be a way to test if the card is really being 'awakened'/configured with the PnP manager.

Yello
"Solar Driftwood"

Reply 36 of 44, by chrisNova777

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

WOW! GUYS! I GOT IT WORKING!! (but this is not on the AWE32..) BUT Its workign in DOS! at least so im happy!

so what ive done is disconnect the main C: drive from my 486 and then i attached just the cdrom directly to the pimary IDE port on the UN1082 VLB controller

was using a boot floppy with 4 different cd.sys files i was just cycling thru the 4 of them by renaming files and rebooting..
AND I GUESS I FOUND THE RIGHT ONE! or one that is compatible with the dec 1996 drive

and its WORKING! i dunno why it came up as drive letter R: but thats the letter that it picked
anyway im thrilled! this is great.. such a simple thing but i didnt know what to do to get this working the last few months (or year?)

i was also playing with jumpers on the drive.. right now its in cable select mode but i think its more to do with finding the right compatible driver sys file

now i just have to figure this out on the 386 with the SB32pnp

Reply 37 of 44, by chrisNova777

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
AlaricD wrote:

While the interface might not be able to get the full speed of a faster CD-ROM drive, it's still an ATAPI drive and should be recognized. I suppose it doesn't hurt to try a slower speed drive.

Are you getting sound from that SB32? That could be a way to test if the card is really being 'awakened'/configured with the PnP manager.

yea the sb32 pnp is configured properly with CTCU/CTCM and works fine
i just cant seem to get the right combination of DRIVER / and actual CDROM DRIVE and CONFIG to make it work on the SB32PNP

at least i got the drive working so i know it works as ive got it working in dos on the other machine, my 486

Reply 38 of 44, by AlaricD

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
chrisNova777 wrote:

WOW! GUYS! I GOT IT WORKING!! (but this is not on the AWE32..) BUT Its workign in DOS! at least so im happy!

so what ive done is disconnect the main C: drive from my 486 and then i attached just the cdrom directly to the pimary IDE port on the UN1082 VLB controller

Guess that's one way to test it out. That ruled out a defective drive.

was using a boot floppy with 4 different cd.sys files i was just cycling thru the 4 of them by renaming files and rebooting..
AND I GUESS I FOUND THE RIGHT ONE! or one that is compatible with the dec 1996 drive

What driver ended up working?

and its WORKING! i dunno why it came up as drive letter R: but thats the letter that it picked

The CD-ROM driver didn't pick it-- the network redirector (such as MSCDEX.EXE) picked it. If it was MSCDEX.EXE, look for /L:R on the line, since it's the /L: switch that lets you set the Letter of the drive. Or, for some reason, that was the next available drive letter, but I'm sure you'd know if you had that many drives in your system.

Yello
"Solar Driftwood"

Reply 39 of 44, by chrisNova777

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

no matter what i do i cant get any cdrom to be seen on the port on the SB32PNP
maybe its just defective
or maybe it only works with cdroms that are 4x and below
wish i had a 2x or 4x to try it with

yes it says /L:R on the autoexec.bat you are correct 😉
the driver that worked was called cd2.sys on my boot disk.. again i cant remember how i got this boot disk or wherre it came from 😉 🤣 sorry im disorganized 🤣

well at least i know the VLB-controller in my 486 is ATAPI compatible
im going to try the same formula on the 386 now to see if i can get it to work on the primary ide channel of the 386
usings its 16bit winbond controller