VOGONS

First post, by britain4

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have a laptop (Toshiba Libretto 110ct) that’s freezing up when running certain programs.

It’s running Windows 98 - has been running that flawlessly for 2 solid days while I’ve been messing with it and installing drivers etc.

Decided to load up Theme Hospital on it - seemed quite laggy and almost instantly crashed with a line of corruption across the screen. Tried a few times with the same result. As I understand it, crashes with corruption on the screen are normally hardware problems so this has me a bit worried.

However in low-res mode it runs fine, it’s only in hi-res that it has the issues. Also, another odd thing is that it only seem to crash when moving the mouse around.. not if you just leave it sat still, even if there is stuff happening in the hospital.

I’d say this sounded like a software issue if it wasn’t for the corruption on screen...

Things I’ve ruled out:
Memory (at least the removable module)
Hard drive + Windows install

The mouse and buttons are in the screen on this laptop so I thought it could have been a bad connection to the screen or something but it doesn’t do it in Windows.

Worst case is it’s some chip on the way out, maybe the graphics chip or something...

- P-MMX 200MHZ, PCChips M598LMR, Voodoo
- P-MMX 233MHz, FIC PA2013, S3 ViRGE + Voodoo
- PII 400MHz, MSI MS6119, ATI Rage Pro Turbo + Voodoo2 SLI
- PIII 1400MHz, ECS P6IPAT, Voodoo5 5500
- Toshiba Libretto 110CT, 300MHz, 96MB RAM

Reply 1 of 8, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Are there other games where it crashed. I once made the same mistake assuming a hardware fault because Screamer crashed the system in SVGA mode. But the game is just buggy in SVGA and crashes on every system. Theme Hospital could be a similar case.

Reply 3 of 8, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

should dismantle the laptop and clean with compressed air. Remove the heat pipes, and heatsinks, clean with alcohol, apply new thermal paste.

You said you checked the memory wasn't bad, I hope that this was done with memtest86

Should check that you do not have IRQ sharing issues between the hardware in question.

Should make sure you don't have bad sectors on the hard drive.

All else if all this is done properly you should try updating the drivers or try different drivers.

If possible flash the BIOS and GFX card.

Still crashing your laptop sucks then.

Reply 5 of 8, by britain4

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have a Toshiba with a Pentium 133 that plays the exact same copy of Theme Hospital just fine with no stuttering, this one with a Pentium 233 stutters and crashes. I’m not so worried about the fact that it doesn’t run well but the crashing with artifacts is concerning me. I’ve had a look inside and the cooling is...limited, but looks like it’s all working as it should. Although there is no cooling at all on the graphics chip, not even a thermal pad, I think that’s by design, it’s not missing. There is just a thin metal plate with a heat pipe running across it and a plate with a thermal pad contacting the CPU - that’s all the cooling this machine has and as far as I can tell it’s working fine.

It goes through a full CPU stress test just fine but crashes playing Theme Hospital of all things.

Bit of a chore transferring games over to it at the moment as all I have is a 128mb CF card to transfer files to it for now (ordered a bigger one).

I checked the memory by removing the add on module so it’s not that... the other half is soldered to the board. I don’t think it’s a heat issue bearing in mind what I said in the last paragraph. I think I’ve eliminated both the hard drive and the Windows install by testing out both a fresh install on a brand new hard drive and the original install on the original hard drive.

I may be looking at getting another 110 soon... if I do I’ll transfer the hard drive over to that one and see if I get the same result.

Reply 6 of 8, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
derSammler wrote:

Seems like people aren't really reading. Good luck finding heat pipes or a GFX card in a Toshiba Libretto 110ct...

This is 99.9% a software issue.

Ok. You should not bash other peoples advice if you have no idea what you are talking about. neomagic magic graph 128 is actually a discrete graphics chip "good luck finding a graphics card" thats crazy you should say that when it actually has one of these chips. 2ndly it may not have heatpipes but it does certainly have heat sinks. Clearly I wrote that heatpipes or heat sinks. Selective reading comprehension on your part only. Before I posted you know what I did? Found a pic of his motherboard before i posted so I actually know what I am talking about. Do you? no.

https://www.bing.com/images/search?view ... ajaxhist=0

Here is a site I found with links related to gfx car, manual, bios, etc
https://avics.home.xs4all.nl/

Reply 7 of 8, by britain4

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Further to my previous post I have tried the laptop with hardware acceleration set to basic and Theme Hospital works fine but I feel like this is just masking the issue if it’s a problem with the graphics chip - or if the game just doesn’t like this graphics chip for whatever reason - I thought more along the lines of a GPU in a modern computer crashing in games but not the desktop when it’s about to fail

Another update is that I've tried out another copy of the game and the DOS executable works perfectly (with full hardware acceleration) while the Windows executable will stutter and crash unless I set acceleration to basic or off... very strange but hopefully just a software issue

Reply 8 of 8, by britain4

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Just to put this to bed I have another 110ct now that does the exact same thing so it's unlikely to be hardware, probably just that the graphics chip just isn't very good!