VOGONS

First post, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It's me again with the thinkpad. I have discovered another issue : the sound drivers for the CS4237B aren't really good ... There are basically two issues : 1 mixer behaving oddly
2 fm stuttering or having missing notes and sometimes is perfectly fine.

The drivers lenovo are giving on their website are acting improperly under windows 95 : it's like the mixer doesn't work, I can select the loudest setting in it, the computer will remain not very loud. There's also a "second" mixer with MMX written in its name that seem to do stuff, but still isn't perfect and finally there's tje DOS mixer that seem to have the greatest controls. Problem with DOS mixer : it seems to crash windows' mixer as the speaker icon tend to disappear.

Then I installed a slightly newer driver which only left a seemingly better "MMX" mixer that do its job, but it also brins a new problem (or should I say doesn't do anything for another problem) : it doesn't affect DOS ! Meaning that I always get low or muted wave sound. So again I need to use the dos mixer which affects windows.

Then like I said, the FM is glitchy at times and fine at other times. Basically, when I play a midi file with windows media player, it tends to stutter on some songs (When it works and that I don't touch anything audio-related, it stays fine, it doesn't get upset just by replaying the song. Also the stuttering songs are always the same, like if some instrument got set improperly) and in games some notes can be missing (but not when it's not "upset")

Has anyone dealed with that sound chip or have an idea on what could I do to fix this ? I'll make some records of the FM soon

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 1 of 2, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Have you tried the generic VxD drivers?
http://origin.cirrus.com/en/support/drivers/audio/OS21.html
VxD Driver for CS4235
4/2001 : 955 Kb
Provides Windows 95 and 98 (initial release) support for CS4232, CS4235, CS4236B, CS4237B, CS4238B, and CS4239.

Reply 2 of 2, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

That's the one I'm currently using. A bit better, but still not good like I explained.

Also for the FM, I discovered that midi under windows can be fine while DOS games can have missing notes in music. Maybe when midi files under windows play properly, DOS games have issues with FM and when DOS games are fine with FM, Windows midi gets broken

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative