VOGONS

First post, by tabm0de

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have attached picture of the bord, sadly I get no picture trying to start it, keyboard flashes as normal but nothing more, I don’t even get any sound from pc speaker and tried different memory’s and vga cards.

The Bord was nos and no battery leakage has been seen at all, and I can’t see any real damage anywhere.

If any one knows something else to test please do tell 😉

Attachments

naa, nothing yet...

Reply 1 of 12, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Have you tried it without SIMMs? There is 1MB worth of DIPP memory on the board already.

Does the PSU start like it should and output the voltages it should when it's connected to the motherboard? (I guess a flashing keyboard indicates that.) If not there could be a shorted tantalum cap. Failed tantalum caps are pretty common on gear that hasn't been used in a long time and the board beeing new just makes it a little bit less likely. A cap that has failed open (without blowing to pieces) is harder to diagnose and probably more likely if the PSU starts and outputs the correct voltages.

A diagnostic POST card could be of some help. Perhaps not to see any codes as I guess the board likely dosn't get that far at the moment but to see if the +5V and +12V voltages get to the ISA slots.

Does the motherboard react to numlock and or capslock?

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.
Older PC: K6-3+ 400@600MHz, PC-Chips M577, 256MB SDRAM, AWE64, Voodoo Banshee.

Reply 2 of 12, by tabm0de

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Sadly i dont have any POST diagnostics card, problebly need to buy one but would been nice to find it in sweden then ordering from china.

If the bord is "on" for a minute the temperature for cpu goes up and the chips on the graphic card as well.

The board dont react to scroll/caps/num after the standard "flash".

I guess i need a diagnostic card to maybe find any thing good befor trying something els, also maybe a multimeter would be easy way to test if the tantalum capacitors works good.

naa, nothing yet...

Reply 4 of 12, by tabm0de

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

There was no simms with the board only dips, i have tried 3 diffrent simms with the dips and 3 diffrent simms without the dips and no luck.

naa, nothing yet...

Reply 5 of 12, by quicknick

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Check if the BIOS chips are seated correctly. I've also seen at least one 286 board that had the chips mislabeled (Low instead of High and the other way around); you might try swapping them around.

Reply 6 of 12, by tabm0de

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Finally got my diagnostics card, still no picture when booting the motherboard, info from diagnostic card is AA06 which i translate to:
AA = Init after e000 option rom control has completed. displaying the system configuration next.

06 = Uncompressing the post code next

naa, nothing yet...

Reply 7 of 12, by quicknick

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just throwing in some ideas:
- ESD damage
- corrupted BIOS (eproms can flip some bits over time)
- cold solder joints at the Headland chipset or the CPU - try starting up your board while applying some pressure to these chips. This must be done on a hard surface to avoid bending the board.

Reply 8 of 12, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Sometimes these 286 boards only take either the DIP RAM, or the SIMM/SIPP RAM, but not both at the same time. You could try removing the DIP RAM and just using the SIMMs.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 9 of 12, by tabm0de

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Im unsure about the ami bios chip ( not the keyboard ), i the chip next to the ami bios is the exact same chip but they have marked it with a H.

Anyone know what the other might be for?

naa, nothing yet...

Reply 10 of 12, by Predator99

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have for 06

"(06)ROM is enabled. Calculating ROM BIOS checksum, and waiting for Keyboard
controller input buffer to be free. Calculating ROM BIOS checksum.Video disabled
and system timer test begin. Video disabled and system timer counting OK."

Therefore flashing a new BIOS would be an option.

I would also try to remove _all_ of the RAM. Does it still stop at the same stage?

Are all ICs seated in the right direction? Difficult to see on the photo.

Reply 11 of 12, by tabm0de

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I removed everything except the two bios ( figured out it was a high and low chip ) everything almost always the same except when i remove the keyboard bios chip then i get FF06

naa, nothing yet...