VOGONS

First post, by Cadderlik

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

My Ave 32 didn't see 30 pin ram ...i think its 2 X1 mb

Any idea? ...when i start diagnose under DOS i see info detecting dram and goes to irq etc. and no test of ram like in awe64.

I reseat and clean both but no effect.

Reply 2 of 8, by Cadderlik

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

1. i'll make photo today
2. I got it separately
3. I suppose no - no another music card and no old PC. I have only 486 with 72 pin slots

Reply 3 of 8, by Cadderlik

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I' ve bought another ram and IT works Perfect. So IT was probably bad ram

Reply 4 of 8, by Atom Ant

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

May I ask why is an Soundcard needs RAM? I plan to buy also an Awe 32 for my 486 computer and I saw few of these Soundblasters have Ram slot, while others do not have.

My high end of '96 gaming machine;
Intel PR440FX - Pentium Pro 200MHz 512K, Matrox Millenium I 4MB, Creative 3D Blaster Voodoo II 12MB SLI, 128MB EDO RAM, Creative Sound Blaster AWE64 Gold, 4x Creative CD reader, Windows 95...

Reply 5 of 8, by Scali

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Atom Ant wrote:

May I ask why is an Soundcard needs RAM? I plan to buy also an Awe 32 for my 486 computer and I saw few of these Soundblasters have Ram slot, while others do not have.

They can be used to store custom sampled instruments (soundfonts) for wavetable synthesis.
Most wavetable synthesizers have default instruments in ROM, so they will work without RAM. Gravis UltraSound is the big exception to that rule: it only has RAM, no ROM.

http://scalibq.wordpress.com/just-keeping-it- … ro-programming/

Reply 6 of 8, by Atom Ant

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Interesting. So It seems if I buy for games only, I totally good with the one without memory slot.

My high end of '96 gaming machine;
Intel PR440FX - Pentium Pro 200MHz 512K, Matrox Millenium I 4MB, Creative 3D Blaster Voodoo II 12MB SLI, 128MB EDO RAM, Creative Sound Blaster AWE64 Gold, 4x Creative CD reader, Windows 95...

Reply 7 of 8, by Scali

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Atom Ant wrote:

Interesting. So It seems if I buy for games only, I totally good with the one without memory slot.

I'm pretty sure that all games will at least work without memory.
There is a small chance that some games have improved music when you have RAM, because they can load custom instruments. But I don't know if there are any games out there that do.

http://scalibq.wordpress.com/just-keeping-it- … ro-programming/

Reply 8 of 8, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Didn't the game Eradicator have some special AWE support under DOS? I think it could load *.SF2 files for better music and sound effects.
But, for this you required more RAM on your AWE based card.